Beckerhead Knife Making and Modification Thread

Lots of increasingly fine grits of sandpaper. And Yeah, a mirror polish is going to scratch up almost instantly with hard use.
it depends on the hard use . If it's wood stuff no issues. Rocks sand nails yea that will scratch em.
Ya, not worth it then. Thanks
There is no fast easy way to do it right :D and it is not worth it ;) on the other hand chopping wood won't scratch the steel :) I like my Knives smooth as possible keep mushroom from growing on em :p very easy to take care of :) here's a few in the pic
IMG_4108.JPG

it depends on the hard use . If it's wood stuff no issues. Rocks sand nails yea that will scratch em.

There is no fast easy way to do it right :D and it is not worth it ;) on the other hand chopping wood won't scratch the steel :) I like my Knives smooth as possible keep mushroom from growing on em :p very easy to take care of :) here's a few in the pic
View attachment 1117115
Nice lineup! Hold one up for use as a mirror, and shave with another one.

While recovering at home after surgery, I made another sheath for one of my puukko projects. This sheath is buffalo leather I dyed black. I made the oval jump ring from 3/32" brass rod and the belt loop is secured by a Chicago screw post. The carved wooden insert is sealed with urethane.

That is outstanding! Beautiful work!

Made some leather pants for the knife. Got a big ol' Hudson's Bay from an old truck spring in the works; still lots of hammering to do though.

IMG-20190429-115048.jpg

IMG-20190429-115149.jpg

Thanks y'all! Here's some progress shots of the HBC knife in the works:

Started with this. It was way too much metal, so;
IMG-20190501-212950.jpg

Cut it down some, and then began stretching it out.
IMG-20190501-212906.jpg

Now it's starting to look like a knife
IMG-20190501-212713.jpg
Nice!

That's gonna big a big ol' cutter! Nice!

Hey Daiz you ever mess with a stonewash finish on any of your blades?

Not yet... I'd like to buy or build a tumbler. I have some extra motors. I've actually wondered about the right order of operations for that kind of thing. I suspect it works best with bolt-on handles OR if you don't mine stone-washing the handles too. Or if you temp-fasten the handles (recessed bolts again), shape them to the tang, sand/polish, and THEN stonewash the blade separately and bolt them back on.

That's gonna big a big ol' cutter! Nice!

Not yet... I'd like to buy or build a tumbler. I have some extra motors. I've actually wondered about the right order of operations for that kind of thing. I suspect it works best with bolt-on handles OR if you don't mine stone-washing the handles too. Or if you temp-fasten the handles (recessed bolts again), shape them to the tang, sand/polish, and THEN stonewash the blade separately and bolt them back on.
My understanding is that with enough tape you can protect the bits you don't want stonewashed. Or plasti-dip

Back