Beckerhead Knife Making and Modification Thread

Rigging knife made completely from discarded ship pieces (except pins and epoxy).
Handle a bit slimmer than I intended, but next time will laminate the micarta back-to-back, which will give me more to work with.

More info on my website and series of WIP posts on IG for all the various components:

IMG_20190916_113948-small.jpg

IMG_20190916_114010-small.jpg

IMG_20190916_114042-small.jpg

Thanks Tanglediver and daizee. Daizee your work has been an inspiration to me since I joined. Your attention to the smallest detail and design of each piece is spot on.

that's pretty awesome, Daiz -- and the graver for cleaning out the handle recess is brilliant!

that's pretty awesome, Daiz -- and the graver for cleaning out the handle recess is brilliant!
Thanks, Vik. The broach wasn't my idea of course. Saw some gorgeous ones years ago, and made a tool handle that would accept jigsaw blades. Then made a couple broach blades to fit it. That's the first time using that one, and it was *aggressive*. Ugly but effective! :p

If the broach tang was thinner, I could put it IN the Makita...!!o_O

Last edited:
That looks GREAT, Hawk! Fantastic work on the guard.
The handle has a bit of a traditional rifle butt feel to it.

Forged blurry tongs (successfully THIS time) for holding rudder bearings with the new Hilltop Forge hammer. Holy crap, what a fabulous tool.

Vik, I did tune one face of that Stanley 2lb into more of a rounding profile. Worked pretty well, but I think a rounding hammer's versatility is more available to a more experienced hand. Definitely better than the stock circular face, though!

IMG_20190923_191803-small.jpg

IMG_20190920_143653-small.jpg

lucky for me and my pocketbook they don't make a straight peen -- and their diagonal peen is backwards!
I need to build a power hammer or a hydraulic press.

Back