Beckerhead Knife Making and Modification Thread

Hand-forged this little rudder bearing scrap as a demo to friends in "knifemaking class", then stuck it in a spare file handle. Surprising what you can do in an hour when you aim small and "cheat" on the handle. :D Pretty happy with the resulting bench/desk knife!:

IMG_20191112_072824_2-small.jpg

IMG_20191112_072836_2-small.jpg

IMG_20191112_072844-small.jpg

Made a sheath for the boy's BK15 the boss gave him.

vAMjp4E.jpg

Now I have owed him a sheath for awhile now, and he told me it was last used to clean a deer, so before I get goin I had to clean this thing well and let me tell you there was petrified deer guts all mashed up inside under the scales. All cleaned up I hammered out a sheath, redid the fitment for the handle scales to get as snug as possible, then sharpened her up to nice and slicey.

Now I have owed him a sheath for awhile now, and he told me it was last used to clean a deer, so before I get goin I had to clean this thing well and let me tell you there was petrified deer guts all mashed up inside under the scales. All cleaned up I hammered out a sheath, redid the fitment for the handle scales to get as snug as possible, then sharpened her up to nice and slicey.

Oooh, nice!!
Dogwood Dan's Firefly scales too!
That's a hot package.

vAMjp4E.jpg

The take apart Sheath is a Great idea!

I can't get a pic to do it justice, but the grind is convex and when you see it in person it goes a bit further than it looks in the pics. It will do what I need of it in non-permissive environments so I am satisfied with it. Tons of fun to spin around when bored in the office though.

Looks great, D. I'm surprised that it would pass thru a pat down even if it's not metal, especially with that edge!

Looks great, D. I'm surprised that it would pass thru a pat down even if it's not metal, especially with that edge!

Usually not getting pat downs tbh. The walk through metal detectors and wands are the primary means of keeping folks from exercising their 2A rights most of the places I go.

Hey Derek, That knife would be great in steel. The shape is very graceful.

Thanks! The blade is very similar to a BK15 with no choil. Not quite the same, but close.

In other news, I have a newfound respect for anyone who hand sands a knife to any level where all the scratches go the same direction. Doubly so for anyone who does so on hardened steel. Triply so on a Becker. My hands are killing me and I only have one side of a BK-5 blade.

This scrap of O1 was sitting in my shop for literally years, and I finally forged it into this handy little 3" EDC, matching it up with scraps of brass and white oak, tempering colors and all. Last completed knife of 2019!

IMG_20191231_085638-small.jpg

IMG_20191231_085702-small.jpg

IMG_20191231_085712-small.jpg

IMG_20191231_085736-small.jpg

Back