Beckerhead Knife Making and Modification Thread

Better than I did, I couldn't make it that far. Still, alot nicer than it was before.

k1JMOwn.jpg
Looks great! Mine is pretty cloudy, I just don't have time to finish it. How long did you sand it with what grit?

That’s cool looking vik. What’s the pommel made from. I’ve used a ball from a ball valve in the past.

piece of stainless round bar - buddy was practicing on the mill at work. then I drilled the centers on both sides with a 1/2 bit to drop the weight a little more after thinning it out a bunch. 8" blade, balance point is the back side of the guard. should do a number the next time he goes hog hunting.

I'm kinda into this pattern, as you can see, first one on the bottom.
I have been informed that there will be aftermarket scales available for the BK-62 bolt pattern later this year from a third party vendor, which is good because I don't want to make handles for these! Though I'll give it a go at least once for "research"....

IMG_20200109_224642-small.jpg

Look what you made me do...

Imagine how far I could have gotten in 3hrs working on just ONE blade instead of six! :rolleyes:
But I had the 5" wheel running full-tilt with the remains of a proper 3M 984F 60-grit, and just kinda went to town on everything that needed that setup. Then switched to the platen and gave them all the same treatment there too...

IMG_20200110_223832-small.jpg

Look what you made me do...

Imagine how far I could have gotten in 3hrs working on just ONE blade instead of six! :rolleyes:
But I had the 5" wheel running full-tilt with the remains of a proper 3M 984F 60-grit, and just kinda went to town on everything that needed that setup. Then switched to the platen and gave them all the same treatment there too...

IMG_20200110_223832-small.jpg
Awesomely cool! :)

I was going to try to get the AEB-L pieces ready for heat tonight, but learned there's a birthday happening at Knife Night, and I didn't have the energy to get all that done AND go out for dry ice AND then try to work a kiln cycle amidst the festivities. So I cranked out the first AuK4S in 1084 this afternoon. Hoo-boy, let me tell you: i think this is the one. Blade is a tad shorter as shown, but same max width at the belly, and the handle is slimmed just a touch, which you can see vs. the factory BK-62 scales. Grabbed this piece of 1084 thinking it was 0.156, turns out it's 0.165. Pretty beefy, but ground to a nice pre-edge thinness.

IMG_20200111_134238-small.jpg

IMG_20200111_134246-small.jpg

IMG_20200111_134314-small.jpg

I was going to try to get the AEB-L pieces ready for heat tonight, but learned there's a birthday happening at Knife Night, and I didn't have the energy to get all that done AND go out for dry ice AND then try to work a kiln cycle amidst the festivities. So I cranked out the first AuK4S in 1084 this afternoon. Hoo-boy, let me tell you: i think this is the one. Blade is a tad shorter as shown, but same max width at the belly, and the handle is slimmed just a touch, which you can see vs. the factory BK-62 scales. Grabbed this piece of 1084 thinking it was 0.156, turns out it's 0.165. Pretty beefy, but ground to a nice pre-edge thinness.

IMG_20200111_134238-small.jpg

IMG_20200111_134246-small.jpg

IMG_20200111_134314-small.jpg
Too freakin' cool man.

Looks like the plunge line is farther forward. You can choke up on it now. I like it Daizee. A lot.:)

Yep! The plunge is forward exactly for that reason. I find myself wrapping my finger around the front of the waddle on the BK-62, and then shaving my finger. Piloting a couple more ideas right now, hopefully will be finished tomorrow afternoon with pictures.

Back