Beckerhead Knife Making and Modification Thread

Love your wip pictures daizee daizee

Here ya go! :D
Stopped just short of epoxy this evening. Might be done for the weekend. I'm going with the kitchen handle, because otherwise it will just be a scary thing that will never be used.

IMG_20200310_165911-small.jpg

IMG_20200310_172319-small.jpg

IMG_20200310_172338-small.jpg

IMG_20200310_174712_2-small.jpg

IMG_20200310_175502-small.jpg

Where did you get the broach?
And would it work on antler?

Not sure about antler, I've never worked with the stuff. Tho the core is fairly soft, yes?

I made that broach out of a scrap of 1084, and a smaller one I made too. The oak handle has pins that match either Milwaukee or Makita (I ferget) reciprocating saw/jigsaw blades, so I made the broach tang match that and I can swap them out, or with commercial blades (which are too short for most things). I covet @johnny_ducati_rocks's broaches, but mine work ok enough.

A serious hand injury has had me sidelined since November 7th. I was able to finish this blade a few days ago and the handle in two days. Working with partial numbness is a challenge, but feeling is slowly returning since the injury. Blade is 98mm x 24mm x 3.4mm, brass bolster and cocobolo handle. Not fancy, but a good basic bushcraft or camping knife for my nephew.

Alright, let's finish off that WIP from earlier in the week:

4" of Volvo suspension spring becomes a western-ground sashimi knife. Swedish Fish, anyone? :p
If I had any, would have staged a picture. Micarta bolster, natural curly maple handle. Blade is 6.5" long to the bolster.

IMG_20200314_171932-small.jpg

IMG_20200314_171950_2-small.jpg

IMG_20200314_172020-small.jpg

My latest puukko: 100mm x 20mm x 3mm 80crv2 blade, cocobolo handle, brass bolsters, ebony spacers. Cocobolo handle material exposed through the ebony and rear bolster. More to come...stay tuned.

That is one fine looking Puukko hawk :thumbsup::thumbsup:

That one's great, Hawk. I mean they all are, but how did you pull off the collared buttcap?

That one's great, Hawk. I mean they all are, but how did you pull off the collared buttcap?
Thanks daizee. A few days prior to my injury I made the .188" brass bolsters and drilled out the rear one and ebony spacer for the handle tenon. Last week everything was fitted, epoxied, tapped together and finally shaped. There is a very slight inner taper to the hole in the rear bolster to insure a tight fit.

Last edited:
Newest project is a Kokemäen puukko. These are meant to be plain working knives with no adornment. I added and beveled piece of ebony on the rear of the redheart handle. The redheart works well with the accent and matte linseed oil finish. The rhomboid blade is 80mm x 19mm x 3mm with a rounded spine. This is a departure from my usual puukko style.
by
by

Last edited:
Back