Beckerhead Knife Making and Modification Thread

I appreciate this discussion on pinned versus bolted scales. :thumbsup:

I’m working on ram horn scales for a tweener. I’ve been thinking hard on how I want to attach them. :)

Hmm, good question. I have my first set of ram's horn scales to apply soon. I don't know how tough they are against bolting forces. I mean... they're evolved to take some serious abuse, but cut into scales are squeezed by bolts? I don't know. I plan to epoxy/pin these to the blade in question. The knife will be for the ritual sacrifice of wood pellet bags for a pellet stove using a sort of kosher-slaughter-style blade, so ram's horn w/ red liners seems appropriate. :D

Just completed the Puronvarsi 120mm knife. The blade has a slightly modified belly. The spine and bevels were straightened and the blade was hand polished to 800x then gray Scotch Brite for a soft satin finish. The handle is goncalo alves with padauk and ebony spacers and Lin-Speed oil finish taken to 800x for a low luster finish. The butt was convexed. The nickel-silver bolster has a lightly peened finish.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/158694019@N03/

Just completed the Puronvarsi 120mm knife. The blade has a slightly modified belly. The spine and bevels were straightened and the blade was hand polished to 800x then gray Scotch Brite for a soft satin finish. The handle is goncalo alves with padauk and ebony spacers and Lin-Speed oil finish taken to 800x for a low luster finish. The butt was convexed. The nickel-silver bolster has a lightly peened finish.

That is gorgeous! :)

One of the Prettier ones I've Ever seen..... Wow!

Wow that’s almost to pretty to use.

My modded 4 with a nose job, double black canvas micarta with red g-10 liners and a little sanding.
View attachment 1333735 View attachment 1333736 View attachment 1333737 View attachment 1333738 View attachment 1333739 View attachment 1333740 View attachment 1333741
This 4 had very fine and even machining marks . Didn’t try to fuss with em much . This was one of the nicest out of the box Becker’s I’ve ever purchased :) and yes it’s one of my favorites :D
That red Orange really sets those dark wood scales off nicely

My modded 10 gave it another bit of a nose job, deepened etch, striped with coating left under scales,waddle removed, sanded grind lines, edge of spine removed, has stock KA-BAR micarta with wood stain on em, and with black oxide stainless hardware lightly wire wheeled and with excess threads removed :)
View attachment 1335239 View attachment 1335240 View attachment 1335241 View attachment 1335243
Yes, there is a slight low grind mark on the Becker side it’s staying :p:p now done and ready for a natural patina :thumbsup:
Post for others to help give ideas in case someone wants to mess around :thumbsup:

That is one damn good looking knife.

End result of my hatchet restoration and sheath building project:

tzbsAsfm4kZ40gDPcpnK06YNhLEOGmAebwjjw9BQyyQOuYmAQn0NxWrNKXoyLPXBtDhhvOJgNq6u3HPTlXszkawIhoA7N52Dku2x6Y-w423Asa2kZVklLq84mJ9loGT_qdyNiBg0qc0=w800-h533

Vau-3tnFuM1tu95MwNus_aCFayJpzCzSw7BdIUCRMacj3uZXUu8ZICukJ8kXddr2TZVZ-D5jFZFmP_qPcjR7620z4iig3z0lnMZIedUvlPQUH4HY538wvUfAr8ktK6wvx2bAiAlt3WE=w800-h533

_5CuVS-qEGuVIsN6v296cWDGt9Xc5J2XGps0w06O0DrrHA1r6xiNsyTaGHcogpuAINEtEED1j-KEI9KunGH6yuyUgNyYV7HHKIz6D-JBKUzZiJiFQWSXtiSOibnsGZDDkdKri7S-8Pg=w800-h533

Remember, this is how I found it:

1oqIURWjcnSLZX18KgUpZuu6iytEyAgNPpgbTtJ2wqg7x0CV0PbAMDbF8rAtV-yoVY0JklQmjUBqMShTUUCgxFpB00kfoFVyiCTyr1kNm0UngCNtYE00SK5Jwp49yPFZUTfSF7VuiAE=w800-h533
What brand of hatchet was this? Do you know or was it just a garage sale find?

Back