Beckerhead Knife Making and Modification Thread

After finally getting my oldest son hooked on blades after giving him a BK7, he asked me if I could teach him some bladesmith skills, so I gave him some things to study and to come back with a design he wanted to try. Of course he comes back with a sketch of a big old seax with a hamon for his first project. He’s doing great though, and is very patient. It’s light years better than my first prison shank of a knife that I made at about the same age.

E1CBA8E8_2462_47D8_8684_5027C29DC836_IMG_7485.HEIC

4F718B0B_077C_4BA8_B5DE_C410713D0DA6_IMG_7482.HEIC

If I could some how post a pic, it never ever works for me.

Dogwood handles with the "Glow Stones" saved my Beckers from getting lost. I swap them out between knives. I should of gotten more...but they sold out. The clear one with glow stones goes on the most used Becker. Usually the 4 or the 2.

I saw they still have Tweener handle scales.

*Link removed. Not a paid dealer here*

If I had a tweener I'd get a set! I lose more knives in odd ways than breaking them. The smaller the more lose-able for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
It gets the job done pretty well when you learn its quirks. I need to replace the platen, and that would be a huge upgrade. I freehand grind now, so the work rest isn’t really a big deal for me, but I’ll eventually add a bigger work rest surface onto it as well. I’d kill for variable speed function to be a me to do a lower speed slack belt, but for the most part I do pretty well with it. I’ll upgrade some day.

Finally finished this commission that's been in progress awhile: a kosher-slaughtering-style knife for ritual sacrifice of wood-pellet bags. Imagine holding a large wood pellet bag in a headlock against your chest and sort of cutting its throat (or perhaps gut) to spill all the contents into the pellet stove hopper. Purpose-driven design. :) With sacrifice-traditional ram's horn scales over ruby red G10 liners. First use of flared tubes. Blade is 5+" of differentially hardened 1084.

(pix before sheath/edge)

IMG_20200927_180127-2-small.jpg

IMG_20200927_180137-2-small.jpg

IMG_20200927_180205-2-small.jpg

Last edited:
Finally finished this commission that's been in progress awhile: a kosher-slaughtering-style knife for ritual sacrifice of wood-pellet bags. Imagine holding a large wood pellet bag in a headlock against your chest and sort of cutting its throat (or perhaps gut) to spill all the contents into the pellet stove hopper. Purpose-driven design. :) With sacrifice-traditional ram's horn scales over ruby red G10 liners. First use of flared tubes. Blade is 5+" of differentially hadened 1084.

(pix before sheath/edge)

IMG_20200927_180127-2-small.jpg
Beautiful work. I love the lines, the handle work, the chamfered holes...I’m taking notes on what I can do better next time.
I just finished this one up this afternoon.
3DFC4449_D5CC_4B73_90A7_AD52CCFAB938_IMG_7569.HEIC

Finally completed the Puronvarsi 100mm Hunter. Blade was hand polished to 800x then gray Scotch-Brite satin finish, belly slightly modified, the profile and the spine reground to straight and beveled. The peened .187" brass bolster was fitted to the blade and epoxied into the Gidgee handle with a contrasting Redheart spacer. The handle shape is a modification of the shape I recently started using. It is the most comfortable handle for me so far.

Last edited:
Finally completed the Puronvarsi 100mm Hunter. Blade was hand polished to 800x then gray Scotch-Brite satin finish, belly slightly modified, the profile and the spine reground to straight and beveled. The peened .187" brass bolster was fitted to the blade and epoxied into the Gidgee handle with a contrasting Redheart spacer. The handle shape is a modification of the shape I recently started using. It is the most comfortable handle for me so far.

Beautiful work. That handle looks like outstanding ergos.

Finally!!

This means fully in-house heat-treating. No more driving across the state to do stainless and A2!
(Ok, I live in Rhode Island and get to eat pizza and drink beer over there, but still!)

IMG_20201106_155430-small.jpg

Oh hell yes man, congrats!

Back