Beckerhead Knife Making and Modification Thread

The possibilities!!
Finally!!

This means fully in-house heat-treating. No more driving across the state to do stainless and A2!
(Ok, I live in Rhode Island and get to eat pizza and drink beer over there, but still!)”

The possibilities!!

Spent the weekend in Seymour indiana. May have hammered some hot metal and forgot to take pics.

Brut de forge seax: 9.75 tip to tang, 15.25 tip to tail. Fore and aft tapers, thickest at the front of the grip.

Wow, that's a big'n!! :)
Whatcha gonna sever with that?

anything I want to! ;)
it started out as a teaching piece - showing how to upset the tip first, then establish the blade/tang divide, drawing out the tang, then the blade, stretching and tapering, etc...
started with a 1 1/4 x 11 x 1/4 piece of 1095.

eta: weighs 10.2 oz according to SWMBO's postal scale.

Looks to have a 1066vik size handle to boot. Pretty cool man.

I worked a little scrap of 1/4” x 2 W2 into a kitchen knife today, ended up with about a 6” blade, 6 3/4” with ricasso....Not sure what style you’d call this.
001.jpg

Nice work man.

Nice work man.

COOL material re-use!!

I have a block of white oak laminated together from pieces of a bourbon barrel stave from a local brewery. Haven't decided what to do with it yet. Turn a tap handle is an obvious option, but I am latheless.

COOL material re-use!!

I have a block of white oak laminated together from pieces of a bourbon barrel stave from a local brewery. Haven't decided what to do with it yet. Turn a tap handle is an obvious option, but I am latheless.
Look up "drill press lathe" they're not expensive to buy and pretty easy to make.

Look up "drill press lathe" they're not expensive to buy and pretty easy to make.

Funny you should mention that. I'd totally forgotten I'd gone down that research rabbit hole last spring and decided it wasn't the right path for some reason. Can't recall why. Maybe because it was going to be more work to do that than to just shape a damn handle by hand once. (that was the rail spike trowel handle) Of course now is time 2. I'd be happy to dedicate some bench space to a small wood lathe. I even have motors. Also have a couple burly drill presses already... I dunno. Sounds like work! :p

penn state has good mini and midi sized variable speed lathes at fair prices if you want to go that route.

Sourcing dry ice has become a challenge for a variety of reasons, but I was able to snag some today and get this pair of CPM-154 AuK4's cooked. They'll look a bit less stubby when the scales are on. One came out perfect. The other is going to require some tricky straightening...:

IMG_20201228_192028-small.jpg

Last knives of 2020! A matched pair of AuK4's in CPM154. Awww yeah...
You can see thickness before the edge goes on - should get 'em sharpened this evening, but wanted pix while the sun was up:

IMG_20201231_115925-small.jpg

IMG_20201231_115958-small.jpg

IMG_20201231_120016-small.jpg

IMG_20201231_120026-small.jpg

IMG_20201231_120035-small.jpg

IMG_20201231_120041-small.jpg

IMG_20201231_120234-small.jpg

Apparently images aren't coming through properly under Chrome and possibly Android. I don't know what's up, it's not just here. (but maybe just me?) Anyway, pix up on the 'gram or website via .sig links.

Last edited:
Back