Beckerhead Knife Making and Modification Thread

COOL, Vik!!
Love the twists and the crowned handle on the spoon. Dang, wonder if I can forge a spoon.

BTW I think my image issues have been resolved, hope you guys using chrome and android can see what's above now.

RR spike is not a bad planishing form for a teaspoon if you don't have a handy stump to use instead.

RR spike is not a bad planishing form for a teaspoon if you don't have a handy stump to use instead.

Brilliant!
I have a couple. In fact, might have just a spike head around too, which perhaps could be metal-glued to an appropriate hardy support. HMMMM...

Results of using Rit Dye More, Graphite color on natural micarta. 40 minutes just under boil.
068E9A85-C696-4DBC-AE52-4B689457A3A2.jpeg 6ADE8FF2-905B-493E-9858-C04A8D32563D.jpeg

Thanks GeofS for the heads up on what type dye works :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Oh yea, it works excellent on plastic :thumbsup:
8B9573AD-24CF-4B8F-B46F-48DD7EE42A17.jpeg
072938CF-E768-43FD-975D-597C7CE44B0B.jpeg

Last edited:
That's more like it. Cheers.

Eyeing up a New project.....

I haven't decided yet, but I might wanna try making a micarta axe handle for it?

I made the wood fitted joints too tight. It Cracked under heavy use. I might of needed a leather washer or something as an expansion joint?

Maybe the stability of micarta will make it stronger?

Last edited:
What did that used to be? What kind of epoxy?
Micarta waaaay stable. No splitty.

What did that used to be? What kind of epoxy?
Micarta waaaay stable. No splitty.

SP-53....Just a Beast of a blade, Really love it.
The rubber handle eventually got loose, I didn't know what I wanted for a handle, so I gobbed on a Large curvy pirate looking monstrosity, which I never really finished, but I was More interested in how the insides should look. My pins were offset to Draw the handle into the aluminum guard really tight. Like in furniture construction.

This was a Beater knife for me, lots of battoning. It still will be, but I'm going to fashion a handle. long, sleeker looking thing. I think? Next.

It was a two part epoxy, I don't remember the brand? maybe JB Weld? idk I'll have to look

The epoxy held Great, I had to Boil it off in order to Punch my pins through/out.
It took a lot of work.

I'm a fan of West System's GFlex. It's toughened for a good bit of spring and would make for a good interface. I think you might have introduced too much stress by using the pins to snug things up. Typically there's a softer material spacer involved between a handle and guard when that technique is used, I *think*. A thin piece of leather might work. Soak it in epoxy too, and squeeze it up there. You'll often see copper.

Co
I'm a fan of West System's GFlex. It's toughened for a good bit of spring and would make for a good interface. I think you might have introduced too much stress by using the pins to snug things up. Typically there's a softer material spacer involved between a handle and guard when that technique is used, I *think*. A thin piece of leather might work. Soak it in epoxy too, and squeeze it up there. You'll often see copper.

Copper is a good idea, thanks

Jim taught me to hunt YEARS ago now, and he has one of my earliest hunting patterns from 2011. He sends late 2020 pix of his 3″ “Rhode Island Winter Hunter” in O1 sporting ivory paper micarta over red liners w/ a 1000x hand-brushed finish. In 2012, we skinned, disassembled, and boned-out a deer in my basement using this and my own 3″ hunter in A2. Plenty of other blades at hand, but these were the right tools.

jimh3_20201220.jpg

jimh1_20201220.jpg

Jim taught me to hunt YEARS ago now, and he has one of my earliest hunting patterns from 2011. He sends late 2020 pix of his 3″ “Rhode Island Winter Hunter” in O1 sporting ivory paper micarta over red liners w/ a 1000x hand-brushed finish. In 2012, we skinned, disassembled, and boned-out a deer in my basement using this and my own 3″ hunter in A2. Plenty of other blades at hand, but these were the right tools.

jimh3_20201220.jpg

jimh1_20201220.jpg
Gorgeous knife! :thumbsup:

I need some handle ideas. Material? Shape? Bolster/guard shape?
Of course you have no idea what's in my stash. :-/

I could leave the heat-treat colors on or polish 'em off.

IMG_20210125_204035-small.jpg

I need some handle ideas. Material? Shape? Bolster/guard shape?
Of course you have no idea what's in my stash. :-/

I could leave the heat-treat colors on or polish 'em off.

IMG_20210125_204035-small.jpg

I really like those colors from the heat treat. Looks like a colorful hamon.

I really like those colors from the heat treat. Looks like a colorful hamon.

The colors on this one ARE pretty good. I'm leaning toward keeping them too. Also less work to keep them. :)

This was going to be a substantially longer blade, and I did something silly. Sat in the hardened drawer for a couple years before finally becoming this:

IMG_20210130_184257-small.jpg

IMG_20210130_184310-small.jpg

The colors on this one ARE pretty good. I'm leaning toward keeping them too. Also less work to keep them. :)

This was going to be a substantially longer blade, and I did something silly. Sat in the hardened drawer for a couple years before finally becoming this:

IMG_20210130_184257-small.jpg

IMG_20210130_184310-small.jpg
Awesome lines! :thumbsup:

Back