Beckerhead Knife Making and Modification Thread

I had a little help with this one. My 13 year old did the wood burning on the scales using a kit he got for Christmas. Made me pretty nervous when he started, but I'm pleased enough with how it turned out.

I had a little help with this one. My 13 year old did the wood burning on the scales using a kit he got for Christmas. Made me pretty nervous when he started, but I'm pleased enough with how it turned out.

Your Son did a great looking job! That's a keeper! I'm sure it feels better too

You did a pretty OK job with the metal thingy they're attached to, as well.
;) I really like the profile of that blade. Very nice lines - can you chime back in with some specs? Backyard forge? Stock removal? C'mon, man....dish!

You did a pretty OK job with the metal thingy they're attached to, as well.
;) I really like the profile of that blade. Very nice lines - can you chime back in with some specs? Backyard forge? Stock removal? C'mon, man....dish!

Let's see...

It's 9" OAL, right at 4" of sharp. 3/16" thick 1084 from NJ Steel Baron.

I did stock removal. Forging looks fun, but I don't have an anvil. Or any knowledge about it other than heat and hit. Which I'm sure is what all the experts do.

Definitely my best plunge lines to date. Heat treated it in my propane driven two brick forge followed by a nice bath in warm canola oil. Tempered it at 450 for two hours twice. I had just gotten some gray ScotchBrite belts in and tried them out by using them to remove the post oil bath scale. I really liked the finish they left, so I didn't do more than that on the blade.

The wood for the scales seems to be oak. I grabbed it from a local business that makes library shelving units and puts out their scrap. I was stabilzing the wood when my pump decided it wanted more attention than I was giving it, so I'm not sure I can really say they are more than semi-stabilized. The figure on the wood was extremely plain, so I let the 13 y/o have a run with the wood burner then slapped on a coat of Danish Oil. Brass pins and epoxy holding the scales.

I have given away most of what I've made so far. (Well, by most, I mean most of what I wasn't too embarrassed for others to see at the time which hasn't been much.) But, I'm thinking the 13 y/o's help made this one is a life-long keeper.

Now I just need a maker's mark.

Last edited:
really digging that burnt handle, good job!

IMG_20170308_102217739_zpsoyekhdnc.jpg

IMG_20170322_115538643_zpsnq5qlkmi.jpg

IMG_20170328_153720226_HDR_zpskplzvs3f.jpg

IMG_20170328_153802945_zpsh6wg44t4.jpg

IMG_20170328_154911505_zpsfdtq9zu0.jpg

IMG_20170329_174251481_HDR_zpsenwbptth.jpg

IMG_20170329_174304124_zpsqoslxwzr.jpg

IMG_20170329_174316254_zpsnixdsi2h.jpg

IMG_20170329_174520339_zpsw5wixn84.jpg

thanks, guys. The Persian is a gift, the Loveless was the GAW knife, but the white and black drop point will be posted in the exchange soon. Still need to make a leather belt loop and a strap to secure a pouch in the front.

Made my first set of scales this weekend. Just kinda winged it w/my gf's Remora. OD Green Micarta and a copper pin. Still needs some refinement and clean up. My Remora will be next. Might remove the finger guard.
IMG_20170415_210435-01_zpscazhboir.jpeg

Looks great Nikki!
Always better to practice on someone else's first

Scales really do wonders for that little blade.

Made my first set of scales this weekend. Just kinda winged it w/my gf's Remora. OD Green Micarta and a copper pin. Still needs some refinement and clean up. My Remora will be next. Might remove the finger guard.
IMG_20170415_210435-01_zpscazhboir.jpeg

Now that I'm looking at a full size pic, I got one suggestion for ya, Nikki: Shape the bolster part first, with the scales pinned and clamped together. It'll eliminate the grind/file marks on the ricasso and the guard - plus it's a heckuva lot easier to shape that part without the knife in the way. They look great, tho! I'd definitely advocate for getting as much of the guard off as possible when you do yours. Looking forward to seeing the next iteration....

Back