Photos Beckermuk Trios

Bad idea? Crappy title? Nobody has photos? :p

I'm still hobbling around but getting better I will see if I can get a picture together. Personally I think Nesmuk's choice of the small dbl bit was based on the fact he was 5ft tall and 100lbs and suffering from tuberculosis . Being that I'm a ft taller and 200 lbs heavier a boys axe or Cruiser dbl bit on a 24-28 inch haftis a more appropriate tool for someone of modern size and good health doing the type of bushcraft he did . My choices would be one of my boys axes probably my true temper flint edge boys axe on 24 inch haft of course my BK-10 and a SAK Walker . Some day I will find a single bid Michigan pattern boys axe and I will switch to that . I have Michigan pattern double bits in full size and cruiser size and I have to full size Michigan pattern single bit . One in boys axe weight would complete my axe collection . The full size Double bit was bought by my uncle just before WWII

Great title and terrific idea. Wish I could contribute, but I could only post a BK-15 for my Becker and a Fiskars/Gerber Back Paxe as my hand axe. Plenty of pocketknives, of course, of course. Should I still play?

I'm a huge fan (ok, medium-sized fan) of the boy's axe too, single-bit. I'd probably pick a BK-16, BK-62, (or one of my own BK-inspired variants) for the middle-one.
For cutting down stuff I love a good dbl bit but a single bit boys axe is a better general purpose camping tool. The big double bit I have I have been swinging since around 74 Dad gave it to me in the nineties

I'm still hobbling around but getting better I will see if I can get a picture together. Personally I think Nesmuk's choice of the small dbl bit was based on the fact he was 5ft tall and 100lbs and suffering from tuberculosis . Being that I'm a ft taller and 200 lbs heavier a boys axe or Cruiser dbl bit on a 24-28 inch haftis a more appropriate tool for someone of modern size and good health doing the type of bushcraft he did . My choices would be one of my boys axes probably my true temper flint edge boys axe on 24 inch haft of course my BK-10 and a SAK Walker . Some day I will find a single bid Michigan pattern boys axe and I will switch to that . I have Michigan pattern double bits in full size and cruiser size and I have to full size Michigan pattern single bit . One in boys axe weight would complete my axe collection . The full size Double bit was bought by my uncle just before WWII
I agree. It's whatever works for the individual.
Great title and terrific idea. Wish I could contribute, but I could only post a BK-15 for my Becker and a Fiskars/Gerber Back Paxe as my hand axe. Plenty of pocketknives, of course, of course. Should I still play?
Thanks man. Yes you should. The idea was to include a Becker knife in the trio. Hatchet/axe is up to you, as well as a folder.

That Granfors Bruks is a sweet short axe. Wish I had one. Wish I could afford one, although don't really need one. Idle question, Warrior, how much better, faster, deeper does it chop than a BK-9? I assume with its weight concentrated behind the edge, it's better, but how much better. Twice? If not, would a BK-9, BK-62, and Opinel 8 be a decent Beckermuk trio? I like your post and title, too.

Fate had it that I was able to attend Blade Show earlier this year. I enjoyed meeting and talking to Ethan Becker. We talked about the 62 and the lessons we can learn from its simplicity. I was also able to meet Elmer Roush. I have wanted one of his 18th century carpenter's hatchet reproductions for as long as I have known them to exist. When I walked up to his table I was disappointed to see only viking inspired hawks and a couple of the coolest bludgeons I've ever seen. I introduced my self and told him I had always wanted one of his carpenter's hatchets. He looked around his table and then told me to hold on a minute as he looked into a box he had not yet unpacked. Here it is with my Becker 62 and a Case barlow.
k3XEHvhh.jpg

That Granfors Bruks is a sweet short axe. Wish I had one. Wish I could afford one, although don't really need one. Idle question, Warrior, how much better, faster, deeper does it chop than a BK-9? I assume with its weight concentrated behind the edge, it's better, but how much better. Twice? If not, would a BK-9, BK-62, and Opinel 8 be a decent Beckermuk trio? I like your post and title, too.
The GB Wildlife hatchet is a good one. I bought it used, and got a good deal on it. It definitely out chops the BK9, but as far as how much more, I couldn't be sure. That said, the BK9 is a hell of a chopper, especially for it's weight. I first had the title "Nessmuk Trio", but changed it, so people would know to use Becker knives in the trio.
Fate had it that I was able to attend Blade Show earlier this year. I enjoyed meeting and talking to Ethan Becker. We talked about the 62 and the lessons we can learn from its simplicity. I was also able to meet Elmer Roush. I have wanted one of his 18th century carpenter's hatchet reproductions for as long as I have known them to exist. When I walked up to his table I was disappointed to see only viking inspired hawks and a couple of the coolest bludgeons I've ever seen. I introduced my self and told him I had always wanted one of his carpenter's hatchets. He looked around his table and then told me to hold on a minute as he looked into a box he had not yet unpacked. Here it is with my Becker 62 and a Case barlow.
k3XEHvhh.jpg
Nice Don! Thanks for posting it up. I've never heard of Elmer Roush before, but that hatchet looks awesome!

view

These were my Dads life long companions. His trio would have been his Plumb BoyScout hatchet. Dwight Devine Boy Scout utility knife and his PAL USN MK1. He had them all since he was a boy just after WW2.

Last edited:
Awesome. That said, I was wanting to keep this thread Becker related.

Nah, it's a great idea, Dubz. I think the challenge being is that when we think of the "Nessmuk trio", we picture the upswept skinner (think Marbles Woodcraft) that ol' Sears pictured in his book. The truth is, George never stipulated what the blade should be like, aside from being thin in the blade and suitable for skinning, cutting meat, and eating. Becker knives are not known for being "thin in blade" and to my knowledge, there isn't a model that would fit in the same mold as Nessmuk's skinner anyway.

However, I would think the 62 would be a suitable substitute. Kephart himself mentions a Marbles as being a good belt knife option and unlike Nessmuk, he goes into greater detail regarding the features that he desired in a knife. They both shared the same sentiment regarding "clumsy", "thick", "dime novel pattern", "murderous looking" bowies of the time though.

I will have some pics to share soon - I'm waiting on an axe that I've been eyeballing for awhile to get in. Should make it here early next week.

Nah, it's a great idea, Dubz. I think the challenge being is that when we think of the "Nessmuk trio", we picture the upswept skinner (think Marbles Woodcraft) that ol' Sears pictured in his book. The truth is, George never stipulated what the blade should be like, aside from being thin in the blade and suitable for skinning, cutting meat, and eating. Becker knives are not known for being "thin in blade" and to my knowledge, there isn't a model that would fit in the same mold as Nessmuk's skinner anyway.

However, I would think the 62 would be a suitable substitute. Kephart himself mentions a Marbles as being a good belt knife option and unlike Nessmuk, he goes into greater detail regarding the features that he desired in a knife. They both shared the same sentiment regarding "clumsy", "thick", "dime novel pattern", "murderous looking" bowies of the time though.

I will have some pics to share soon - I'm waiting on an axe that I've been eyeballing for awhile to get in. Should make it here early next week.
Like I said, I originally titled it with Nessmuk Trio, but changed it to make sure Becker knives were used, also knowing Ethan has never releases a Nessmuk. I've seen these kind of threads on other forums, where any hatchet/axe, fixed blade, and folder were used. Since this is forum specific, I rolled with Becker knives being used. To be honest, I've had this idea in my head for a few years now, in case Ethan released a muk, haha. Went to the cabin this past weekend, and took the shot above. Thought, what the hell, may as well start a thread.

Btw, what axe you getting in. Wanna just wait until it gets here to post a photo?

Like I said, I originally titled it with Nessmuk Trio, but changed it to make sure Becker knives were used, also knowing Ethan has never releases a Nessmuk. I've seen these kind of threads on other forums, where any hatchet/axe, fixed blade, and folder were used. Since this is forum specific, I rolled with Becker knives being used. To be honest, I've had this idea in my head for a few years now, in case Ethan released a muk, haha. Went to the cabin this past weekend, and took the shot above. Thought, what the hell, may as well start a thread.

Btw, what axe you getting in. Wanna just wait until it gets here to post a photo?

I don't think I made my point very well. I was trying to say that I think we get too hung up on what makes a Nessmuk knife a "Nessmuk" knife. George didn't design a knife, not like Horace, he simply found something that worked for him and went with it. The same cannot be said for his axe though - a lot of money (for the time) and effort went into the making of his "double-barreled" pocket-axe.

( I guess I didn't really need to make that point - thinking out loud mostly)

With that said, I think it perfectly appropriate to substitute the "Nessmuk" knife for any knife that fills the user's preferred criteria. In this case, that would be Becker blades.

The axe that I ordered is the Council Tool Velvicut Double Bit Saddle Axe. A little spendy but it seems to best encompass Nessmuk's design philosophy in a production axe. I might order the Condor version as well, though the handle on that one is a bit longer - hard to go wrong at its price point though.

Gotcha. Yeah, that is a nice axe. :thumbsup:

This is a solid idea especially since I've developed an axe addiction. Below is the only trio I have. I will try and grab a few more combos tomorrow.

Axe: modified TrueTemper TommyAxe on a black locusts handle I made

Fixed blade: My bk-24 with modified micarta tweener scales (I really love the 24)

Folder: Victorinox Alox Farmer in green

ac1ae890ab1d774e51f1cb2d739e7571b2ed5ddd.jpg

3b5a51660c8574997690e2321a20110be7d28fb1.jpg
4d5ae55ac812ee902430b46214d8ab87d6547534.jpg
384e2d2e3c3514b9e2de75f2cfb86069cec713c9.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVjiNHtM9uF/?utm_medium=copy_link

Last edited:
Awesome man, thanks for posting it up. Good to see you back around. Don't be a stranger. Nice work on that handle, btw.

Elmer Rousch is good folks -- I have a couple of his arrowheads.
Near as I can guess from the shape, Nessmuk's knife was probably a well worn sheep skinner -- green river still makes a very similar pattern.

Back