Becut vs other steels

Hello everyone, I would like to have some information about the becut steel , I find everywhere that it is a good enough stainless steel enough tougth but I would like to have more information about the toughness of this steel (i can't find charpy test numbers for this steel ) , How it performs compared to cpm 3v in the toughness category ? It can be suitable for big fixed blades ?

Last edited:
I have not used that steel. But i am very familiar with 3V.
3V will be much tougher, and its much more suitable for big blades.
Not sure if it will be good for big fixed blades. Are you looking for a large chopper in a stainless steel?

Thank you for your reply. The question was that for a big blade after some research and testing cpm 4v in a medium blade and knowing that for a big blade the cpm 3v was one of the best options because its tougthness. I was told (without numercal information) about the becut as a steel with better corrosion resistance than both and with better toughness than the 4v and better strength at the same hrc hardness. As I also knew that at certain levels the difference of toughness between the 3v and the 4v exists but is not huge I wondered where we can put becut and if it can be suitable for a big knife > 24cm blade.

For a large blade, 3V would be the way to go. Z-Finit is not a bad option if stainless is very important, but IMO 3V has enough stain resistance for most environments/uses. I live in the PNW and use my 3V blades almost everyday, and the most I have had is very light patina, and sometimes specs of rust under the handle if I didn't put an oil before I put the handles on.
If you live in Europe, good steel options over there for large knives is Bohler Viking, K340, and K360. Both of those have awesome toughness and good corrosion resistance.
BECUT would be good for small and medium sized knives, but IMO there are better options for larger blades.

Thank you for your answer. The becut, the a8 mod and the steels you are describing are quite available in Europe.In the first place as I understand it from you viking> cpm 3v> becut. It may be like this, but if becut is higher than the 4v it should not be very far from the 3v (in terms of toughness), but I can not find numbers concernant tests. Secondly I also wondered why these steels like 3v cpm and viking are not used on swords (I saw the 3v on the internet in two cases) is that for some blade lengths they are not enough flexibles or because there are simply not enough people to try. This is a curiosity that I would just like to know, maybe I'll have to open a tread on the swords section. My main preoccupation remains becut. If i manage to get some information it will be amazing.

Last edited:
I have a knife with becut steel, I have used and sharpened it for 6 months maybe. My assessment is:

It polishes easily
It takes a fine edge easily
It survives impacts well
It does not chip easily
It is extremely corrosion resistant

I like it very much. I've punctured a 55 gallon drum with it, cut abrasive pads, pried, used it on food and much more.

A+ steel.

Also I have had 3v from many makers and probably have more time using 3v than most other steels.

I like both.

I sharpen both on an edge pro, diamonds, and Japanese water stones.

Thank you for your reply , but can you give me more details please about both of them in use , how they roll , how is the edge retention difference.

From my observations, 3v is more wear resistant. I haven't managed to significantly damage either of them through use/abuse.
Becut is more corrosion resistant but well done 3v is HIGHLY rust/stain resistant too.

3V can be used for swords. ATJ999 has a machete i made with a 20 inch blade and 9 inch handle. The entire machete is nearly 30 inches long. Its extremely durable. I have made smaller machetes that have been 23.5 inches long and have been practically indestructible at 59-60HRC.

Edge holding at that hardness is very good. If you want better edge holding one can use the modified Heat treatment and go to 61HRC, which increases edge holding and corrosion resistance. You lose a small amount of toughness but under most circumstances its still extremely tough. I have tested it on a competition Chopper prototype and i was very impressed.

I wish i had more input on BECUT steel, but ive only seen it on a few knives, and i have never used it. I have used CPM 4V, its very tough and has Exellent edge holding. Its less tough than 3V but is still very very durable, its nearly identical to Vanadis 4E from what i have seen. (V4E is very hard to get in the US, hard to find).
Hope this is helpful!

thanks for your answer, when i said i tested the cpm 4v i was referring to the vanadis 4 extra which is almost the same thing. According to you between the viking and the 3v for a blade of more than 25 cm wich one you will choose.

Hello everyone, I would like to have some information about the becut steel , I find everywhere that it is a good enough stainless steel enough tougth but I would like to have more information about the toughness of this steel (i can't find charpy test numbers for this steel ) , How it performs compared to cpm 3v in the toughness category ? It can be suitable for big fixed blades ?
BECUT= Niolox +(Plus), 1.4197. I've personally tested it on 7"length, 5/32 spine, 15/32 scandi grind, cryo + double high T tempering. Performs outstandingly without secondary bevel both edge stability and toughness (not to mention resistance to corrosion). On paper 3V seem to be tougher, real life.... who knows. I got blades in both, wouldn't prioritize any of them at reasonable length (up to 9"), however, BECUT holds edge better with inferior profile of single bevel scandi. With BECUT, do follow the advice of maximum pre-finish prior to heat treatment. I managed to get HRC 62 (judging by HR150A )without any issues with brittleness or edge chipping. The steel is new to me, but so far I am bought. The closest US analogue IMO is carpenter's CTS B70, at least it performs au pair with similar geometry and size. Currently I am killing the crap out of it with temp handle fitted. No complains so far.

thanks for your answer, when i said i tested the cpm 4v i was referring to the vanadis 4 extra which is almost the same thing. According to you between the viking and the 3v for a blade of more than 25 cm wich one you will choose.
Viking= >170 J impact toughness VS. 3V=113 J at 58HRC

Back