Bedside: What you got right now?

........ dear god men..... !!! I do rarely get up on my high horse with the folks I like so much here (and you all qualify) so I please take this as me looking out for you.... ;) For all that is good go out and buy yourselves a set of mid range electronic hearing protection and add it to your gear !!!!!!!! This is two fold, in most cases it actually improves a bit of what you are already hearing but also allows you to retain your auditory function if you are required to discharge more than one round in a confined environment. There is a reason that most police and military now utilise such protection operationally (often also linked to coms), not only for the protection value but also the amplification of other sounds. I have spent big chunks of my life inside confined shooting spaces and have taken more than one round of 5.56/38/40/357/9mm/12ga without hearing protection inside a concrete structure, it is unpleasant and if you are not already partially deaf (my left side is bad thanks to three round of 7.62 in rapid succession discharged where the muzzle of the rifle was about a foot behind and and a foot to the left of my left ear) you will know it. That moment of disorientation (I certainly don't recommend training indoors "to get use to it" without hearing protection either) may well be the opportunity a wrong-doer takes to better you. For the expenditure of less than $150US you will be adding to your own protection and perhaps giving yourself the upper hand when you need it most.

I like you, too, Andy. And I appreciate the sincere care and concern.
As said, it never even occurred to me in this context, and I doubt I am in the minority. You raise great points, and Andy, I need not take the consequences from you. I have spent many years involved in and around both civilian and military tactical training exercises, both indoor and out. I know well how loud this is, and, too, have damage from two unintended situations.
I have good protection.
So you are saying to me that you hear a “bump in the night at say, 3AM,” and the first thing you do, seriously, is grab your hearing pro and put it on?
I am asking a serious question, friend.

........ dear god men..... !!! I do rarely get up on my high horse with the folks I like so much here (and you all qualify) so I please take this as me looking out for you.... ;) For all that is good go out and buy yourselves a set of mid range electronic hearing protection and add it to your gear !!!!!!!! This is two fold, in most cases it actually improves a bit of what you are already hearing but also allows you to retain your auditory function if you are required to discharge more than one round in a confined environment. There is a reason that most police and military now utilise such protection operationally (often also linked to coms), not only for the protection value but also the amplification of other sounds. I have spent big chunks of my life inside confined shooting spaces and have taken more than one round of 5.56/38/40/357/9mm/12ga without hearing protection inside a concrete structure, it is unpleasant and if you are not already partially deaf (my left side is bad thanks to three round of 7.62 in rapid succession discharged where the muzzle of the rifle was about a foot behind and and a foot to the left of my left ear) you will know it. That moment of disorientation (I certainly don't recommend training indoors "to get use to it" without hearing protection either) may well be the opportunity a wrong-doer takes to better you. For the expenditure of less than $150US you will be adding to your own protection and perhaps giving yourself the upper hand when you need it most.

There ya go, I knew someone that has shot/trained a lot indoors,(in kill houses and such) would get it.

Walkers are very good, and pretty affordable.

https://www.amazon.com/Walkers-Elec...7DAF0HQHP91AQ6MKF&refRID=5SS7DAF0HQHP91AQ6MKF

Or you can get some Peltors and go full tacti-cool

https://www.amazon.com/Peltor-ComTa...ection&qid=1579646368&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-1

But honestly do whatever you like.
Just giving helpful advise with real experience.
I will keep my muffs next to whatever I choose to use.
Even have a pair in my truck ;)

There ya go, I knew someone that has shot/trained a lot indoors,(in kill houses and such) would get it.

Walkers are very good, and pretty affordable.

https://www.amazon.com/Walkers-Elec...7DAF0HQHP91AQ6MKF&refRID=5SS7DAF0HQHP91AQ6MKF

Or you can get some Peltors and go full tacti-cool

https://www.amazon.com/Peltor-ComTa...ection&qid=1579646368&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-1

But honestly do whatever you like.
Just giving helpful advise with real experience.
I will keep my muffs next to whatever I choose to use.
Even have a pair in my truck ;)

I won’t repeat my prior response, but this is likely to not remain my first thought in that scenario, which would be a rare or likely once in a lifetime (hopefully, and frankly quite likely limited and quick engagement. The stats don’t lie). And I have stared down a hostile gun barrel pointed at me twice. I will not go into the rest of those stories. No intent to compare the lengths of our respective and considerable “you know what’s here,” just sayin’. But the advice is nonetheless appreciated.
I wanted a fun thread, so “whatcha got?”
Pics?!

I used to keep a full size M&P 40 and a 10.5” PSA 556 next to my bed, but that was before the mermaids confiscated them for their war with the dolphins.

You guys kill me!
But come the confiscation, good luck with that.
I will only say that in the event that the 2nd Amendment is suspended, I seriously doubt that the 4th will remain a shield!
God forbid.

So you are saying to me that you hear a “bump in the night at say, 3AM,” and the first thing you do, seriously, is grab your hearing pro and put it on?

I do. Peltors. To hear better than I can without them and hopefully better than whatever’s doing the bumping. And in case the bumping repeats, to more quickly identify its nature and location.

I do. Peltors. To hear better than I can without them and hopefully better than whatever’s doing the bumping. And in case the bumping repeats, to more quickly identify its nature and location.

Ok. You fellers got me re-thinking. Hopefully there will be time for that.
The very, very thankfully few experiences that I have had to go to guns happened too fast for this, but yeah, I will allow the possibility and give that some thought.

I am asking a serious question, friend.
.... it depends, if the threat is upon you then no, for the seconds it takes to put them on before going out and starting to clear, certainly so. Consider it in the context of an active home invasion (kicking in the doors/forcing entry), you may not have the time, but when you hear the makings of an surreptitious entry that you have to "investigate" armed, you have those moments.

.... it depends, if the threat is upon you then no, for the seconds it takes to put them on before going out and starting to clear, certainly so. Consider it in the context of an active home invasion (kicking in the doors/forcing entry), you may not have the time, but when you hear the makings of an surreptitious entry that you have to "investigate" armed, you have those moments.

Thank you for the considered response and for not patronizing me.

That is the essence of what I mean, Andy. Yeah. So as said, shit has happened fast. But you are right, one hears a simple noise, one likely could put on the pro. As I admitted, I just have not thought that way about that scenario. I will put my pro on the nightstand. That said, I am not sure after all these years of not having 'em there, that I will think to put them on in the dark when that moment arrives. Doesn't hurt to put 'em there, though. Not a bit!

Thank you for the considered response and for not patronizing me.

That is the essence of what I mean, Andy. Yeah. So as said, shit has happened fast. But you are right, one hears a simple noise, one likely could put on the pro. As I admitted, I just have not thought that way about that scenario. I will put my pro on the nightstand. That said, I am not sure after all these years of not having 'em there, that I will think to put them on in the dark when that moment arrives. Doesn't hurt to put 'em there, though. Not a bit!

Let it not be said that I cannot reconsider my thoughts. Or so I hope it can be said. I try. "The beginner's mind" should never be lost or left behind.
(And that is from a guy who evaluates these types of scenarios professionally.)

Never my intention to patronise anyone my friend, we are all a product of our experiences !! Given the damage my left ear sustained I have found some significant comfort from quality electronic hearing protection in clearing scenarios where they have proven an aid to identifying a threat (simunitions hurt like a bitch and i prefer to be the one getting the first round or two in).

Respectfully, when I hear an agressive noise that doesn't register with normal everyday occurances, the last thing on my mind is putting in any hearing device.
I am up, armed and looking to neutralize whatever the threat may be in seconds. No time to think about anything besides self preservation.

Respectfully, when I hear an agressive noise that doesn't register with normal everyday occurances, the last thing on my mind is putting in any hearing device.
I am up, armed and looking to neutralize whatever the threat may be in seconds. No time to think about anything besides self preservation.
.... I guess what I am trying to convey is that the addition of that quality electronic hearing protection is an aid not a hindrance to what you are trying to achieve.

I've lost nearly all of my hearing in my left ear over the past 50 years. "Huh? What you said?" :confused: The majority of it was blown away in one particular incident (about 40 years ago) in the Mojave desert that involved a 12 gauge shotgun and a buddy who was taking a shot at, what appeared to be, a quail of some sort. Don't really know for certain because he missed his intended target. He apparently missed because my left ear got in the way!!!:eek:

My ear rang for nearly two weeks, and I think we all know what "2 weeks" means in Busse time!!!!! So, needless to say, I'm all about hearing protection when shooting nowadays.:thumbsup:

I took my two boys to deer camp this year and both were outfitted with Walkers. My oldest son Paul (10) was sitting next to me in our fully enclosed blind, when his first deer of the season wandered into range. His little brother Luke (7) was fast asleep in his chair with his Walkers on. Paul took his shot with a .308 and instead of screaming that he hit the deer, he said, "Dad! Get your camera and take a pic of Luke! . . . He slept right through it!!!" There sat Luke, completely unaware that a cannon had just gone off next to him. Hilarious! . . . Might make for a great ad for Walker!!!! :thumbsup::cool:

If I can figure out how to get pics off of my cell phone, I'll post 'em here. I've got some great ones of the boys using their INFImandus to dress out their deer as well.:thumbsup::cool::cool:

Let's Drink!:cool:

Jerry:D

I sleep OK...

77H5LQU.jpg

... and approve of hearing protection installed at the source :cool:

I've lost nearly all of my hearing in my left ear over the past 50 years. "Huh? What you said?" :confused: The majority of it was blown away in one particular incident (about 40 years ago) in the Mojave desert that involved a 12 gauge shotgun and a buddy who was taking a shot at, what appeared to be, a quail of some sort. Don't really know for certain because he missed his intended target. He apparently missed because my left ear got in the way!!!:eek:

My ear rang for nearly two weeks, and I think we all know what "2 weeks" means in Busse time!!!!! So, needless to say, I'm all about hearing protection when shooting nowadays.:thumbsup:

I took my two boys to deer camp this year and both were outfitted with Walkers. My oldest son Paul (10) was sitting next to me in our fully enclosed blind, when his first deer of the season wandered into range. His little brother Luke (7) was fast asleep in his chair with his Walkers on. Paul took his shot with a .308 and instead of screaming that he hit the deer, he said, "Dad! Get your camera and take a pic of Luke! . . . He slept right through it!!!" There sat Luke, completely unaware that a cannon had just gone off next to him. Hilarious! . . . Might make for a great ad for Walker!!!! :thumbsup::cool:

If I can figure out how to get pics off of my cell phone, I'll post 'em here. I've got some great ones of the boys using their INFImandus to dress out their deer as well.:thumbsup::cool::cool:

Let's Drink!:cool:

Jerry:D

Great story, there, BossDaddy. Hang on to those tightly - as you know. Mine are now in college :eek:. Would love pics. Hmmm. o_O Seems to me that someone once said, it did not happen without pics ;)!

Yeah, I had a 7x57 go off next to my right ear in a semi-enclosed space. Then, for reasons that I will spare you, was stupid enough to allow self to do a full Donga-style exercise with 1911A1 without pro. Plus Rush (RIP Neil Peart!!!) 1983 at "the speaker wall." Oh, yeah, and blew out and perf'd the right ear in a diving (board) accident - bad landing from height - that involved a full case of Coors in '85.
I can't hear SH*T in my right ear, man. :confused:

Back