Bedside: What you got right now?

I sleep OK...

77H5LQU.jpg

... and approve of hearing protection installed at the source :cool:

Whoa!!! :eek:
That is the spirit of the thread, MadMarkie! :thumbsup:

I love this forum
It is really cool and I commend Ken on being cool and actually listening/ and be willing to look at things in a new light. when today the normal reaction would be "how dare you"
And all the other fellas kindly giving experiences that actually apply rather than "I'ma operator so I know whats what".
Me;
I grew up on a farm and was told ear muff where for sissies and we did not need them.
well duck and dove hunting from 10 until about 24 like it was my job did a bunch of damage, I have been partially deaf in my left ear since 15, I would guess from shotgun blasts because Pop did not want to be on the right side (that is where the shells of my shotgun got shucked :) ) .

The next 27 years of IDPA, IPSC, and training with muffs, plugs and eye protection has been super valuable.
Lots of indoor shooting, lots of kill houses, shooting with every agency/group you can think of has taught me a lot.

So by my bedside;
Mossberg 590 A1 w/00Buck
Springfeild XD 45 w/surefire x300 w/hydrashocks
spare mags, paddle holster
phone *** also important***
Electric Walkers

heck I will admit, there are times when I would forget the walkers but I do try.

here is a fun story and Ken, being from AZ as I was for 17 years.

16 years ago
Shooting buddy of mine was going home from a match going through south Tucson
when somebody cut him off, so he honked at them.
when they got to the light some unsavory characters brandished a pistol at him.
what did he do ?
he calmly reached down grabbed his muffs put them on then grabbed his pistol loaded it and looked at them ........shooter ready ? you bet.
they sped off down the road. :)

I would like to believe it was true.

My phone somehow missed out on the photo opp... but it does reside under the pillow with the FMV8 and Surefire.

Has anyone here tried Walker’s Bluetooth earplugs? Was wondering about both sound quality and suppression efficiency.

I would also be interested in any recommendations for in-the-ear devices that work well. I learned in an early 80's concert (might have been the same Rush show Ken was at?!?) that foam ear plugs in a subtle color might "be for sissies" but the ringing for a day after would be wonderfully absent :p I usually keep some foamies in my binocular/rangefinder chest harness while hunting, but a set that would enhance hearing before reducing the blast from the shot would be amazing... those muzzle brakes can be brutal!

I love this forum
It is really cool and I commend Ken on being cool and actually listening/ and be willing to look at things in a new light. when today the normal reaction would be "how dare you"
And all the other fellas kindly giving experiences that actually apply rather than "I'ma operator so I know whats what".
Me;
I grew up on a farm and was told ear muff where for sissies and we did not need them.
well duck and dove hunting from 10 until about 24 like it was my job did a bunch of damage, I have been partially deaf in my left ear since 15, I would guess from shotgun blasts because Pop did not want to be on the right side (that is where the shells of my shotgun got shucked :) ) .

The next 27 years of IDPA, IPSC, and training with muffs, plugs and eye protection has been super valuable.
Lots of indoor shooting, lots of kill houses, shooting with every agency/group you can think of has taught me a lot.

So by my bedside;
Mossberg 590 A1 w/00Buck
Springfeild XD 45 w/surefire x300 w/hydrashocks
spare mags, paddle holster
Electric Walkers

heck I will admit, there are times when I would forget the walkers but I do try.

here is a fun story and Ken, being from AZ as I was for 17 years.

16 years ago
Shooting buddy of mine was going home from a match going through south Tucson
when somebody cut him off, so he honked at them.
when they got to the light some unsavory characters brandished a pistol at him.
what did he do ?
he calmly reached down grabbed his muffs put them on then grabbed his pistol loaded it and looked at them ........shooter ready ? you bet.
they sped off down the road. :)

I would like to believe it was true.

It is a cool, place, no?!

I blush at your compliment, David. :oops: Thank you.

Great experiences and stories there, David. Thanks for sharing. Especially love the last - and it has the ring of truth to it! :thumbsup:

I laugh 'cuz we may have been at some of the same IPSC shoots back in the day (late 70's/early 80's? Cactus League?). 'Course I was a "kid," but shooting all the same. Pops worked at Gunsight right after the late Col. Cooper opened her up, so I kinda came of age there. Priceless training and experiences early on. I feel 'ya about pro way back. I can remember a few of the old guys putting .45 shells into their ears, saying it was enough. The plugs and muffs we used, when we used 'em, didn't work for sh*t, either!

I learned in an early 80's concert (might have been the same Rush show Ken was at?!?) that foam ear plugs in a subtle color might "be for sissies" but the ringing for a day after would be wonderfully absent :p

Seriously, Mark?! I mean that both as to us both hitting a Rush show at the same time almost 40 years ago (Veterans' Memorial Colosseum?) as well as to your having taken plugs - again, a setting (and a time) where it never entered my mind! But then again, having now met you, I was instantly aware I was in the presence of a greater intellect! :thumbsup:

I'm almost certain that I was at every show Rush played in Tucson Convention Center in the 80's... but never caught them in PHX. Lots of other shows, but not the amazing trio from The Great White North. So dang it, probably not!

As to the ear pro... I think I noticed the bouncers wearing foamies, and that lit the proverbial bulb! I really like to hear the mesquite branch brush against the deer hide 40 yards away, and consider myself lucky to have figured that out at such a young age. Of course, I can't blame hearing loss for selective audible editing when the GF is around :(

Last edited:
I can remember a few of the old guys putting .45 shells into their ears, saying it was enough.

One of my best friends in college would single-hand his .41Mag with the weak hand over his ear on that side, and his strong side shoulder scrunched up to cover the other. It always amazed me he could hit stuff like that, but made sense that he couldn't hear very well!

I'm almost certain that I was at every show Rush played in Tucson Convention Center in the 80's... but never caught them in PHX. Lots of other shows, but not the amazing trio from The Great White North. So dang it, probably not!

As to the ear pro... I think I noticed the bouncers wearing foamies, and that lit the proverbial bulb! I really like to hear the mesquite branch brush against the deer hide 40 yards away, and consider myself lucky to have figured that out at such a young age. Of course, I can't blame hearing loss for selective audible editing when the GF is around :(

Then I am sure we shared some experiences back in the day (a Tuesday, I believe). You also probably hit some Tucson Convention Center shows with my wife (Nope - I don't wanna know!).

Took your cue from the bouncers, huh. As said, a superior intellect at work!

I've lost nearly all of my hearing in my left ear over the past 50 years. "Huh? What you said?" :confused: The majority of it was blown away in one particular incident (about 40 years ago) in the Mojave desert that involved a 12 gauge shotgun and a buddy who was taking a shot at, what appeared to be, a quail of some sort. Don't really know for certain because he missed his intended target. He apparently missed because my left ear got in the way!!!:eek:

My ear rang for nearly two weeks, and I think we all know what "2 weeks" means in Busse time!!!!! So, needless to say, I'm all about hearing protection when shooting nowadays.:thumbsup:

I took my two boys to deer camp this year and both were outfitted with Walkers. My oldest son Paul (10) was sitting next to me in our fully enclosed blind, when his first deer of the season wandered into range. His little brother Luke (7) was fast asleep in his chair with his Walkers on. Paul took his shot with a .308 and instead of screaming that he hit the deer, he said, "Dad! Get your camera and take a pic of Luke! . . . He slept right through it!!!" There sat Luke, completely unaware that a cannon had just gone off next to him. Hilarious! . . . Might make for a great ad for Walker!!!! :thumbsup::cool:

If I can figure out how to get pics off of my cell phone, I'll post 'em here. I've got some great ones of the boys using their INFImandus to dress out their deer as well.:thumbsup::cool::cool:

Let's Drink!:cool:

Jerry:D

This is awesome all around, and I am sorry for your ear and glad it was not worse, although the way you tell it, it made me laugh out loud and remember some close calls among buddies in times past.

I usually keep some foamies in my binocular/rangefinder chest harness while hunting, but a set that would enhance hearing before reducing the blast from the shot would be amazing... those muzzle brakes can be brutal!
...... I have had a couple of pairs of "Silencio" valved ear plugs for years, I don't know if they even make them anymore. They live in my hunting pack and spend a good deal of time in my ears in the bush. While not sound enhancing they do not deaden sound like foam plugs till the valves are closed by either a change in air pressure or vibration from a shot. I tried to Google them up but could no longer see them. As they are a baffled plug they are also quicker to insert than a foam one.

I used to keep a full size M&P 40 and a 10.5” PSA 556 next to my bed, but that was before the mermaids confiscated them for their war with the dolphins.

Mermaids? It was stinkin' MERMAIDS?!?! I think the same bunch of rogue fish-tailed temptresses rode that rare desert tidal wave through my AO and snagged my stuff! At least I finally know....

I keep a Beretta 92fs and a Bushwacker Mistress. No hearing protection though. I am such a deep sleeper that if I ever had to use one of my weapons, chances are the bad guys would already be within spitting distance.

I keep a Beretta 92fs and a Bushwacker Mistress. No hearing protection though. I am such a deep sleeper that if I ever had to use one of my weapons, chances are the bad guys would already be within spitting distance.

I sometimes keep my REK'd ASHBM there, but while it is pretty fast, it is not as fast as my waki's, so usually not. But I have always thought I would like a BWM - seems like it would be the fastest of Mistresses. Nice.

On my right side is a Springfield Armory XDm 5.5 10mm with SIG JHPs.
On my left is a Ruger Redhawk .45 Colt with Buffalo Bore hard cast anti-personnel full wadcutters.
I shoot semi-autos better right-handed and have a better double action stroke left-handed although I can shoot either from any side.

My most important pieces of bedtime equipment aren't guns. There is the Fenix PD-35 light that I clip on the front left of my underwear. I sleep on my back and it doesn't bother me at all. It is there for emergencies such as intruders, fire, power outages, storms, etc. Also on the right nightstand is a bottle of nitro tablets. Either of these is more likely to save my life than the guns.

This house contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause birth defects and intruders may encounter these chemicals in quantities of 230 grains approaching them at 900 feet per second.

BYCo76F.jpg

Last edited:
Back