Been Awhile... Hello JK Family!

Well, its been a long few years since I been around these parts. Im glad to see everything is up and still going. Way to keep the ball rolling John!

I have a BIG Pecan tree being cut down as we speak. I have so many ideas for what to use this tree for. Book shelves, Coffee tables, Work benches, Teacher's podium for my wife... and of course, KNIFE HANDLES!

I have several different knives in mind all covered in Pecan. Im willing to ship any of you good folks some slabs as well if you want any.

Hey John, how big of a knife can you heat treat? I really would like a Viking Seax made. Not as long as a sword, but not short as a "knife" either... What do you think?

Ive kind of lost track of all the different models. I know the Seax is on the list and also a Muddy Camp. Ill have to look around for awhile and see what else catches my eye.

Below are some pics of the little guy I have to cut down. Its really a bitter sweet moment. I remember climbing this tree when I was just a little kid. My whole life this tree has been there providing shade for the house and yard while also pecans for cooking and selling. Ive made probably thousands of dollars collecting pecans from this one tree. It has to come down though. Even though the leaves are green the tree is still dead. This summer it has been dropping huge limbs that shouldnt be falling down. Ive had two different Arborist come and both say the tree has to go. Its so big that if it fell on the house it would crush my entire home and probably kill somebody.

The base is 4 1/2 ft thick and goes up nearly 20 ft before it starts to split into branches. Even some of the branches are 30 ft long and straight enough to get really great lumber from.

Anyway, before I get choked up again, its great to see this place still rolling. Its a great bunch of guys that hang out here!

KY29PtZ.jpg

3XOWG16.jpg

urT5Plv.jpg

t1a5Jmd.jpg

qIwspLT.jpg

Hello Heath, long time! The longest I can do is about 13” overall. I’m not even sure what a Viking Seax looks like.
That’s one big tree!
Good to see you here again.

Hello Heath, long time! The longest I can do is about 13” overall. I’m not even sure what a Viking Seax looks like.
That’s one big tree!

Something kind of like this. The cutting edge on the long end. Most are made with pommels, but I think you could come up with something as type of counter weight since the blade is so long.

ePPmvx6.jpg

Heres another one that is more of a knife than a sword...

Hher5ox.jpg

That's a tree! Shame it's life has run but happens to everything I guess. Save me a piece to make a knife handle and maybe some 1911 grips! We will have the tree "live on" that way.

That's a tree! Shame it's life has run but happens to everything I guess. Save me a piece to make a knife handle and maybe some 1911 grips! We will have the tree "live on" that way.

Yes Sir. You got it. There is a local wood guy with two kilns that I can dry the wood in. It may be a few months before its dry on my end, but I can ship it still wet to if you want.

I feel bad about cutting it down, but I had to ask myself, "Would you rather have a shade tree or would you rather have a family and a home?"

I found this one

That looks good. I want mine more 'stabby' and less like a clever. With 13 inches as my guide im going to draw something up and show it to you. We have several months to go before the wood is ready.

That looks good. I want mine more 'stabby' and less like a clever. With 13 inches as my guide im going to draw something up and show it to you. We have several months to go before the wood is ready.
Just a heads up, on large knives the only grind I do is a saber grind, similar to the Element, but higher.

Just a heads up, on large knives the only grind I do is a saber grind, similar to the Element, but higher.

That will be fine. The thicker spin would allow for safer chopping. That fine tip on the end really scares me, but damnit, I want a Seax!

That’s one big tree!

Ill be getting a knife or two for my dad to, since he's spent more time under the tree than I have... You're getting a heck of a deal from me cutting this old pecan down!

I actually made a knife with that blade shape years ago, but it was only a 5” blade. Posted it for sale, finally sold it at one of my gatherings at the shop after a few months.

Cool tree, and you will get some good material to use for all kinds of projects. I like the idea of a 5-7 inch seax for a utility knife or side arm.

Welcome back!
I have a small box of spalted pecan drying right now from a tree that fell on our property, need to get it sent of to K&G soon.

Something kind of like this. The cutting edge on the long end. Most are made with pommels, but I think you could come up with something as type of counter weight since the blade is so long.

ePPmvx6.jpg

Heres another one that is more of a knife than a sword...

Hher5ox.jpg

I was thinking a similar thing the past couple months as I like wharncliffes and straight edges are just a lot easier for me to sharpen. The bottom one in this photo is pretty neato.

I'd be sad too - what a great beauty. Still, you did what needed to be done and some of this history will be passed on with cool products. Welcome back, BTW :thumbsup:

Cheers, Ray

that is a big ole tree! But it will also make some beautiful wood for handles and whatever else you can think of. Keep a portion of the stump and seal it and you can have a table people would pay 1000 plus for.

Back