Been carrying too much knife. This is all you need ! Talk about minimalism ! Talk about POWER !

Long ago I got fascinated by a fruit tester’s knife and bought one. It’s cutting ability was just awful. Typical knife maker’s edge for splitting bricks. What is it they always put on there ? I never actually measured one but it must be like sixty degrees inclusive.

Hahahaha when I got it I tried to cut a bread roll in half with it. The edge though fairly sharp(ish) just slid back and forth and the bread roll laughed in that sinister way they do when you attack them with amateur civilian weaponry.

Goes without saying I reprofiled the badgeeezous out of it and it sliced bread rolls and every thing else with great authority.

Still . . . though nice and long it kind of lacked a certain je ne se qua. Right ?
IMG_3273.jpg

Years went by and just a couple months ago something caught my eye. Why hadn’t I noticed these before ? Well because they have all but disapeared from the market except for little tiny things that really are about the size of a toothpick.

I forget how I got onto this exactly but I said in one thread or another that maybe I have been wrong all this time and that actually all I needed was a Texas Toothpick. Has some length but none of the weight-adding width and thickness that has taken over the minds of the knife buying tyros.

And so I went looking for a test specimin. Could it be that I would find a knife in this knife that wouldn’t beg me to modify it ? That was thin enough, long enough, light enough, pocket friendly enough, openable and closeable (without blade wrapping the edge) ?

The question is : Is the Medium Texas Toothpick the finest knife configuration ever conseived of by man?

In the right hands this knife would be able to do everything from prepare sushi, to building a log cabin, to field dressing an elephant. Do hunters ever field dress an elephant ?

No matter . . . I’m sure the Texas Toothpick is up to it !

And you must admit it has that visual apeal . . . . that . . . I don’t know what . . .

It is curvy and swoopy and virtually plucks one’s deepest harp strings ! ! ! !

and yet once dropped into a front pocket it disapears as if it has been beamed up to the mother ship.

Practically as BA as the 110; admit it; you can hardly tell them apart.
IMG_5049.jpg

I used to use the Holdout One for this heavy work.
IMG_5020.jpg

Have I been over equiped all this time ? Has the Holdout been eclipsed for high speed / low drag by the Texas Toothpick ?
I leave it to you, dear reader, to decide.

When I first got it it would barely cut water mellon (not the rind, no way, just the meat).
IMG_5013.JPG
IMG_5018.JPG

Took her to the Edge Pro for a little rub rub.
Much, much, much . . . much bettah.
IMG_5047.jpg
IMG_5019.jpg
IMG_5048.jpg
Jealous aren’t you ?
Feel the POWER with your eyes.
This is one POWERFUL knife !

I kid you NOT ! ! !

(well maybe just a little)

I will post more after the batonning test sessions.
(( :p :D :) ))

Last edited:
Although a completely different knife I fell in love with the ZT 452 for much the same reasons. It was slim and long without all the extra bulk that seems to characterize so many knives. The Texas Toothpick is that too though way more so.

I have been caring alot more lately how a knife carries in the pocket. There is just something I also like about long slender knives.

I too fell in lust with the texas toothpick a few years ago. I picked up a case xx and loved the way it carried. About 2 weeks in, the blade was bent and i'd destroyed her. Haha.

Ah yes, the Texas Toothpick. The first knife I fell in love with as a boy. Love at first sight it was. I never cared for the small version but the medium was just right.
It shared time with another favorite, the Barlow. Back in the day these two models were readily available at any 5 and dime store.
Both were eventually supplanted by the Canoe but the TT will always have a place in my heart with many fond memories. Sold my last Toothpick a couple of years ago to a good friend. A large TT with stag scales and Damascus blade. It was a real looker.

Time for a phone upgrade bagger!
Nice knife. I like how it would maneuver in what your cutting as it's not wide you can twist it around easy. I don't like that spine tough, as i want to be able to flip the knife around and scoop things up like that watermelon of the board, but it looks classic.

I'd simply say "different strokes for different folks". The Texas Toothpick will in fact do most knife cutting tasks and accomplish it with a very thin pocket friendly profile. I have also been a little taken by the thin traditional folders and just a couple days ago I purchased this Fox Elite Gentleman's knife. It needed a bit of sharpening to get it where I liked it, but it is a real nice functional knife. I don't know if it's a traditional or a modern as it straddles the invisible demarcation line between the two styles. But here is the one I got.
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/FO...n-blade-brown-tulip-wood-handles-nylon-sheath

Mine didn't have a sheath with it, but I don't really care as I would never use a sheath with this knife anyway. Didn't even know the knife came with a sheath until after I purchased it. Don't care. It is a pretty nice little knife.

Great post Wowbagger by the way!

I got one for my wife just after we were married (48 years ago). She promptly went out to the garden and dug up some potatoes with it. Sigh:D. Opposites attract, you could say; she tolerates my knife hobby (addiction, whatever), and I keep her knives sharp.

I got one for my wife just after we were married (48 years ago). She promptly went out to the garden and dug up some potatoes with it. Sigh:D. Opposites attract, you could say; she tolerates my knife hobby (addiction, whatever), and I keep her knives sharp.
My wife keeps me sane and opposites do attract. My first wife was my best friend and well that didn't work out. So I went entirely the opposite way on the next one. I keep her knives sharp and we're happy. She really doesn't know how "into" I am with knives. She does with firearms, but I'm starting to sell a lot of them off now and she sees the $$ and likes that part a lot.

Honestly I could pretty much do it all with this

But because I'm a knife nut I can also carry this sometimes

this

Or this

Heck even this is way more than I really need

It's a good thing to know how much blade you could get the job done with, and carrying just that sometimes is freeing, but you gotta have fun with it too and that's where carrying something more than you need just because you like it comes in.

I love the sentiment. I carried a victorinox alox bantam for years in a suit because it was just enough.

But I am Canadian so I must correct your French. It ranks up there on the pet peeve list with “Wala” instead of “Voilà”.

Close! But it’s “Je ne sais quoi.” Literally, “I don’t know what.”
Thank you . . . obviously I don't know what . . . my french is nonexistent other than some cut and paste from erroneous sources.

“Wala” instead of “Voilà”.
I must disagree there . . . I prefer "Viola" because it is funnier to type and read. To me anyway. :D

but you gotta have fun with it too and that's where carrying something more than you need just because you like it comes in.
If you think I am going to put the Holdout away for good or sell it . . .
Nope.
Mostly this is a semi serious post about a knife I have been curious about.

Back