Beer talk

db

Does anyone want to talk about beer? I've been a long time beer drinker. I like almost any beer, micros macros, imports, and domestic. I have to admit I mainly get Michelob or Sam Adams for my every day beer, even though my favorite beers are the dark beers. Comments?

Good choice on the Sam Adams, their Boston Lager has been my second favorite for years. I've even toured their brewery. My all time favorite though is Guiness and Bass black and tan on tap.

I like most beers. I love Belles (Michigan Brewery)! It's just hard to find down here in N.C., when I can find it, it's about $10 a 6 pack. My everyday beer is Coors Light or Becks Light (depends on what I am in the mood for). I agree with you, I am more of a fan of dark beer, but don't like the consequenses. I have lived in N.C. since January. I wieghed 178 when I moved, now I wiegh 205!:eek: Good thing I'm 6'1!:D

I'm a beer snob, but will throw down strohs light too. I have a weakness for belgian styles and at the moment it is 'saison'. If one likes dark beers and is willing to give Belgian ales a try 'scaldis noel, any marked quadruppel or dobbel/duble, etc.)

Everyday (well just 1-3x a week, I'll have some ale (generally lighter in the summer and bolder in the winter). Wheat/Wit are also great on a hot day. For the fall/winter holidays, I go for the high gravity stuff more frequently.

I've volunteered at the great am beer fest a number of times. You get a free shirt and get to walk behind the scenes, go to the front of the line and get refreshed. The saturday judging session is the best. You can chat w/ the brewers, get free schwag, etc. I generally go with a goal in mind (other than to get a buzz). Try all scottish ales/scotch ales, go for milk stouts, go for heavy hopped pale ales, etc.

Lots to try out there so keep an open mind (and full glass).

Haven't come in this forum much, but I like beer as much as cutlery.

Ps - Belle's is a great brewery.

About ten years ago I discovered craft beers, and never looked back. I like a lot of variety in beer. My favorite style is probably Belgian Strong. I like really big beers, high ABV with tons of flavor. Some favorites are"
Anything from Stone
Don De Dieu (Unibroue)
Trois Pistoles (Unibroue)
Lost Abbey Judgement Day
Speedway Stout (an all time favorite)
Anchor Steam (have that on a regular basis)
La Binchoise (best Belgian I've ever had)
There are plenty more, I used to keep track of all the different ones I have tried, but stopped after around 1000 or so. But yeah, I guess you could say I love good beer :D

Ever have the Liberty Ale, T? I had been unable to find it in my town, but just recently discovered it in a little out-of-the-way store. Man, I almost forgot how good it tasted. But if any of you are out Boston-way, please pick up a sixer of Harpoon's IPA. The penultimate IPA, IMHO. Their Winter Warmer ain't bad either, for the holidays.

I like most beers. I love Belles (Michigan Brewery)! It's just hard to find down here in N.C., when I can find it, it's about $10 a 6 pack. My everyday beer is Coors Light or Becks Light (depends on what I am in the mood for). I agree with you, I am more of a fan of dark beer, but don't like the consequenses. I have lived in N.C. since January. I wieghed 178 when I moved, now I wiegh 205!:eek: Good thing I'm 6'1!:D

Checkout Duck Rabbit, very tasty brew's. They are in NC.

I'm also a beer snob, lol Love all kinds of different styles of beer. Really love RIS, DIPA, BSDA, IPAs, Barleywines too name a few. Have you had a Westy 12 yet?

I'm a beer snob, but will throw down strohs light too. I have a weakness for belgian styles and at the moment it is 'saison'. If one likes dark beers and is willing to give Belgian ales a try 'scaldis noel, any marked quadruppel or dobbel/duble, etc.)

Everyday (well just 1-3x a week, I'll have some ale (generally lighter in the summer and bolder in the winter). Wheat/Wit are also great on a hot day. For the fall/winter holidays, I go for the high gravity stuff more frequently.

I've volunteered at the great am beer fest a number of times. You get a free shirt and get to walk behind the scenes, go to the front of the line and get refreshed. The saturday judging session is the best. You can chat w/ the brewers, get free schwag, etc. I generally go with a goal in mind (other than to get a buzz). Try all scottish ales/scotch ales, go for milk stouts, go for heavy hopped pale ales, etc.

Lots to try out there so keep an open mind (and full glass).

Haven't come in this forum much, but I like beer as much as cutlery.

Ps - Belle's is a great brewery.

You living in Southern Cal have great exposure to some awesome breweries. I love Stone, AleSmith, Lost Abbey/Port Brewing, Ballast Point. Right now I'm having a Mikkeller Stateside IPA, pretty tasty. I'm a member of BA, and I'm so glad I trade, since doing so I've had close to 1400 different brew's, awesome. Always looking for a new brew to try out, lol

About ten years ago I discovered craft beers, and never looked back. I like a lot of variety in beer. My favorite style is probably Belgian Strong. I like really big beers, high ABV with tons of flavor. Some favorites are"
Anything from Stone
Don De Dieu (Unibroue)
Lost Abbey Judgement Day
There are plenty more, I used to keep track of all the different ones I have tried, but stopped after around 1000 or so. But yeah, I guess you could say I love good beer :D

As Warsteiner says, "Life is too short to drink cheap beer".

I'd rather drink water than beer that has no flavor. If I'm somewhere and am offered normal American beer I just pass on it.

Pilsner Urquell is my all time favorite beer. Stella Artois is another one I'm quite fond of. Recently I tried the 1554 from New Belgium Brewery and I think that's a pretty nice dark beer.

Gol-durned beer snobs...

...kindred spirits! :D :thumbup:

I'm DuckDodgers on beeradvocate.com, if any of you visit there. I recently came across some new favorites from a local micro. Boulevard makes decent beer most of the time anyway, but their new Smokestack series has been very well received. My current favorite is "The Sixth Glass," their 10.5 ABV quad. This series also has a saison, a tripel, and double IPA. These are all sold in 750ml bottles, with cork-and-cage tops. These are some very nice brews.

As a very young GI back in the mid-sixties, I learned to drink German beer in Germany.
Essentially never gave up. My tastes still run to flavorful, full-bodied brews, mostly in the pilsener or lager category.
I have generally not liked the heavier brews.

It's gotten to the point where if we're invited to a barbeque or something, I bring my own. Otherwise, around here, it's going to be Bud Light or one of those godawful condiment beers that keep popping up.

Of the brews available easily, I'm fond of Warsteiner, Sam Adams Boston Lager, Fat Tire, and that same company's ( New Belgium) new Blue Paddle.

There is much consternation locally with the takeover of Anheuser-Busch by InBev..... No one seems to know exactly what this portends for the iconic local brewer.

tknife, almost forgot to mention Russian River, awesome freakn' brew's.

riffraff, I'm Wasatch on BA, good to see ya here.

tknife, almost forgot to mention Russian River, awesome freakn' brew's.

riffraff, I'm Wasatch on BA, good to see ya here.

Great stuff! I went to stone Brewings anniversary event five years straight and had some incredible brews there. A friend of mine was on BA and was a mad trader, I tried at least 100 new beers from the trades he did. There is some amazing stuff out there! :thumbup:

Friday is my beer night, I already have some choice ones chilling in the fridge, can't wait.

A buddy a year or two ago was over at Stone Brewing and brought back a growler of the Triple Hopped IPA, man that sucker was hoppy, very very nice. Tonight I might have an Elysian Perseus Porter, and maybe a Stone Oaked Arrogant Bastard.

Are there any other good web sites to check out other than beeradvocate.com? One of my Favorite beers but I don't get it enough is Grolsch.

I used to use ratebeer.com to rate and check other ratings.

i'm a little biased but I think Stone is one of he best breweries, and the owner Greg is a cool guy. It was like meeting a rockstar, or a famous knifemaker :D

I'll drink anything as long as it's free. If I'm paying for it, make it an English nut brown ale. Newcastle's the most easily available of those, though not necessarily the best.

Anything from Stone
Don De Dieu (Unibroue)
Lost Abbey Judgement Day
There are plenty more, I used to keep track of all the different ones I have tried, but stopped after around 1000 or so. But yeah, I guess you could say I love good beer

You my friend have good taste!
Stone Brewery is no more than 40 minutes from where I live right now. I love thier Barley wine, and Ruination is amazing.

Right now I'm into Longhammer for a casual drink.
BJ's Resturaunt and Brewery Tatonka Stout is probably my all time favorite so far.
have any of you tried Gulden Draak?
http://www.globalbeer.com/body_pages/pages-beer/GuldenDraak/GuldenDraak.html
I'm also a big fan of Fat Tire and anything from New Belgium Brewing
Lost Coast makes some great beers too, and my uncle did some of thier label designs I think.
Deschutes Brewery of Maine makes some good stuff too
Unibroue Maudite and La Fin Du Monde are great
oh, man I love beer, and all I have in the fridge right now is ONE Acme IPA!!!
I'm driving by Stone tonight though!!

Back