• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Review Before you order @ Blade HQ

Have you had problems with Blade HQ?

• Yes. But they resolved them appropriately.

Votes: 30 14.0%
  • Yes. And they didn’t seem to care.

Votes: 27 12.6%
  • No. They’ve been great.

Votes: 157 73.4%

• Total voters
I'm no fan of blade hq myself , but I don't see what they did wrong. As others have said a phone call is probably the way to go if the email route gives you no response. They offered you a refund on your purchase, what more do you want?

I have purchased a knife pouch from BladeHQ. That's all. Everything went fine so subjectively at least, they've been grand.

With that being said, I've seen waaaayyyyy too many negative threads regarding BladeHQ on these forums over the years to put them very high up on my list of dealers. Definitely more negativity than any of the other major retailers, for sure.

I will note that after the thread is posted, BladeHQ usually steps in to make things right at least materially. I say materially because while the upset customer is always made whole money wise, I think that the BladeHQ employee/who ever was posting could have definitely used more grace and put forth more effort to rectify what seemed to be warranted complaints. One of these occasions I believe it was the CEO posting.

Definitely a lot of learning to extract and imbibe from threads like this. Even though I think the OP is a bit worked up.

Now I've never dealt with BHQ but imo: it it's not their job to check if it's safe to use. The manufacturers QC should catch it, but in case they don't I think it's common sense to check if a tool is good to go before using it.

EDIT: also: What do you expect them to do apart from refunding and even letting you keep it at that?
I have news. Fifty state legislatures and fifty state court systems disagree with you. The law in all fifty states makes a retailer liable for selling any product that is not reasonably safe for its ordinary intended use. (Sometimes for expected misuse.) The liability extends beyond paying for a safe product to paying for any injury directly caused by such an unsafe condition. And it's been that way for almost fifty years. Retailers manage this nation-wide liability with insurance and by arrangements with the manufacturer.

I've had to communicate with BladeHQ on maybe 4 or 5 separate occasions. I've never called them, only used email or their contact form. I always got a response and they were never rude to me. We got down to business quickly (return, refund, or whatever else is needed), and I'm happy that they work that way - no need to over complicate the interaction and tell them a long story.

I'm guessing people are sending long messages/emails about how their knife failed and it's terrible that BladeHQ doesn't check each knife in their stock before shipping, yada yada, or perhaps aren't including pertinent information like purchase date and order number which would definitely speed up the process. And if you don't state that you want a refund or exchange, then they won't know what you expect them to do.

My suggestion: if you have an issue with a BladeHQ order, go onto their site, look at your orders (under My Account), and use their refund request form to ask for a return/refund/exchange. Don't email them a long story without asking for an exchange or refund directly.

I'm guessing people are sending long messages/emails
In my case, I contacted them with a specific question about a specific knife (that I was ready to purchase, depending on the answer).
It's been awhile, so I don't recall exactly how long it took to get a response - I think it was 2-2.5 months - and that response was a suggestion that I contact the manufacturer with my question. Needless to say, I was less than satisfied.

Last edited:
In my case, I contacted them with a specific question about a specific knife (that I was ready to purchase, depending on the answer).
It's been awhile, so I don't recall exactly how long it took to get a response - I think it was 2-2.5 months - and that response was a suggestion that I contact the manufacturer with my question. Needless to say, I was less than satisfied.
I don't know what aspect of the knife you wanted to find out about, but if it's something simple they could've easily done for you, that's not great. I've never asked BladeHQ a question about a knife (I have asked about purchase and return processes), so I can't speak to their effectiveness in that area.

the way I read your post OP is you misinterpreted their responses...when they responded. I get some people are looking for any reason to react when their disappointed or upset with a situation. your post read this way to me.

I suggest relook at the situation and see if you're being completely rational or fair or if you're still mad and reacting that way. no one is perfect not even you. sure you've made mistakes or let something slip by in your life. it's not the mistakes made its how they are handled in the end.

I've spent many thousands of dollars over more than a decade on many of the dealers that participate here. they all make mistakes sometimes. it's the end result that matters the most.

If you ask me BHQ is somewhat like an odd duckling when it comes to customer service.They kind of come off as a little uncaring and unthoughtful. As for email response,I am talking a year or two ago their response to my inquiry was a day or two later but their follow up inquiry a few days later about the satisfaction to the inquiry - Sure is odd.

My latest order was a few weeks ago and I was surprised the order was shipped in two separate shipments. No other dealer that I have dealt with has done that.

Well the new trend (2 times in a little over a week) is to join bladeforums and make your first post whining about Blade HQ.

It is late March so we should not be to surprised to see Snowflakes appearing.

What a totally lame response. Grow up.

So you think there's a conspiracy against BladeHQ? I've easily read half a dozen or so bad reviews in the past few months.

Rebuking people for utilizing this portion of the forums for its intended use is asinine at best. This should serve as a welcome learning experience for BladeHQ. Regardless of if the OP is being a tad dramatic.

But by all means, continue the shillary, ad homs, and retailer worship.

So you think there's a conspiracy against BladeHQ? I've easily read half a dozen or so bad reviews in the past few months.

Rebuking people for utilizing this portion of the forums for its intended use is asinine at best. This should serve as a welcome learning experience for BladeHQ. Regardless of if the OP is being a tad dramatic.

When someone's first post is a 10 paragraph screed that reads like it was written by an Elite Yelper that didn't a free lunch they'll get pushback.

That's not worship etc. these are the voices of experience noting that when 99% of the retailers make mistakes they make things right in a normal manner.

I have purchased several knives from Blade HQ ... they have always been good to deal with and the one time I returned something they were good to work with.

The only issue I ever have is Blade HQ is slower to ship than the few companies that are my go to shops and always buy there if possible ...

my personal top 5 dealers would be:

DLT is my #1 no question
USA Made Blade
Knives Plus
GP Knives
Knifeworks

but I would buy from Blade HQ with no worry about problems.

From what I read it seems they offered a fix ... but it wasn't exactly what you had pictured so you didn't accept it but instead came here to bash a good dealer ... hmmm ... great first post ... ummm ... ermmm ... or maybe NOT.

and can I just offer a personal experience thought ... if you receive a defective knife/gear/anything you order from anywhere ... TRY CALLING ... NOT EMAILS BACK AND FORTH ... JUST DIAL THE NUMBER ...

it's easier for the dealer usually ... will get you faster results in most cases ... and far less misunderstandings.

just my observations.

Last edited:
When someone's first post is a 10 paragraph screed that reads like it was written by an Elite Yelper that didn't a free lunch they'll get pushback.

That's not worship etc. these are the voices of experience noting that when 99% of the retailers make mistakes they make things right in a normal manner.

Or perhaps the product of a situation that could have turned catastrophicly bad and been avoided entirely at multiple different points?

Not trying to disparage HQ in anyway, really, just attempting to illustrate that this is exactly the place to post 10 paragraph long reviews if someone so chooses.

It also offers a fantastic opportunity for BladeHQ to learn from feedback such as this.

And just so were crystal clear -
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/before-you-order-blade-hq.1651148/
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/blade-hq-customer-service.1649233/
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladehq-poor-cs.1563859/

That's three in a year. Just on this forum. Pretty much revolving around the same issue. You'd deny a company this information for what reason? A prudent company would welcome feedback such as this.

Voice of experience? Nah. Experience sounds totally different.

Or perhaps the product of a situation that could have turned catastrophicly bad and been avoided entirely at multiple different points?

Not trying to disparage HQ in anyway, really, just attempting to illustrate that this is exactly the place to post 10 paragraph long reviews if someone so chooses.

It also offers a fantastic opportunity for BladeHQ to learn from feedback such as this.

And just so were crystal clear -
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/before-you-order-blade-hq.1651148/
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/blade-hq-customer-service.1649233/
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladehq-poor-cs.1563859/

That's three in a year. Just on this forum. Pretty much revolving around the same issue. You'd deny a company this information for what reason? A prudent company would welcome feedback such as this.

Voice of experience? Nah. Experience sounds totally different.

The customer is always right. That's what people like about us.

Please point out where I said there was a conspiracy, I merely noted that in a very short time period two individuals first posts were complaining about a well regarded dealer here. Also you reading into my post that I am rebuking them for posting in GBU has no merit.

Perhaps while I am working on growing up, you could work on reading comprehension.

Please point out where I said there was a conspiracy, I merely noted that in a very short time period two individuals first posts were complaining about a well regarded dealer here. Also you reading into my post that I am rebuking them for posting in GBU has no merit.

Perhaps while I am working on growing up, you could work on reading

When you make vague and spiteful remarks, all I have at my disposal is speculation. I'm not going to attempt to comprehend anything of that nature. Why else would you point it out though? Conformity with what you feel is personally okay and not okay? Who knows.

Furthermore, what's the difference between me calling your needless comment a rebuke towards the OP and you claiming it's mere whining? Nothing, of course.

I think I've made my stance clear. Obviously the customer is not always right, however, when there's a trend perhaps there is room for I provement.

GL!

Back