• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Review Before you order @ Blade HQ

Have you had problems with Blade HQ?

• Yes. But they resolved them appropriately.

Votes: 30 14.0%
  • Yes. And they didn’t seem to care.

Votes: 27 12.6%
  • No. They’ve been great.

Votes: 157 73.4%

• Total voters
I have purchased several knives from Blade HQ ... they have always been good to deal with and the one time I returned something they were good to work with.

The only issue I ever have is Blade HQ is slower to ship than the few companies that are my go to shops and always buy there if possible ...

my personal top 5 dealers would be:

DLT is my #1 no question
USA Made Blade
Knives Plus
GP Knives
Knifeworks

but I would buy from Blade HQ with no worry about problems.

From what I read it seems they offered a fix ... but it wasn't exactly what you had pictured so you didn't accept it but instead csne here to bash a good dealer ... hmmm ... great first post ... ummm ... ermmm ... or maybe NOT.

and can I just offer a personal experience thought ... if you receive a defective knife/gear/anything you order from anywhere ... TRY CALLING ... NOT EMAILS BACK AND FORTH ... JUST DIAL THE NUMBER ...

it's easier for tye dealer usually ... will get you faster results in most cases ... and far less misunderstandings.

just my observations.
Good advice JJ. I will not order from an online dealer if they don't clearly post a phone number that I can reach them on. Far too many legit dealers to take that chance and I can't stand playing the Email game.

I love to share happy fun stories. Stories of great service, surprised and delighted experiences, etc.

This is not one of those stories.

I have gotten all of my knives from my local knife shop. I heard from all of you knife junkies that Blade HQ was worth a look. So I ordered.

Got the knife quickly. Excited for my Micarta scale, chisel ground folder that was on sale! Took it out to try it on a cardboard box and it closed on me. Realized quickly that the knife was defective. Wouldn’t properly lockup. Slips closed with very little pressure. Scary. Dangerous.

I reach out to BHQ, fighting their broken web form, to send a message, no response. Days go by. Nothing. I found an info email so I sent an email that way. Days go by. No response.

At this point I reach out directly to CRKT. They were horrified at my experience and were helpful. They asked that I send the knife back to them directly as it was a safety concern. They implied that this knife should not have been sold but there is nothing they can do to stop dealers selling them if they still have them.

Turns out this knife was discontinued, never worked right and all over the internet this locking issue has been well documented for over SEVEN years. Now I’m upset.

I finally get a response from BHQ. All it says, “send the knife back, we’ll refund you.” No mention of my concern. Nothing about my potentially catastrophic failure. I reply back explaining that CRKT wanted the knife back and that I’m not concerned about a refund, I’m upset that my concern has been ignored and that I’d be happier with a replacement knife (I even offered to take a knife of lower MSRP!). Again I wait days for a response back.

They respond again. This time offering a refund “we normally require you send the knife back, but we’ll make an exception this time, don’t stress it.” Don’t stress it??? Now they’re just being rude. And still zero acknowledgement of my MAIN concern. The safety issue that They’ve known about since 2012 that would have been easily avoided had someone at BHQ simply opened the knife to make sure it locked up. At this point I’m disgusted. I gave them every chance to make it right. They are actively avoided taking responsibility for their error so now I’m sharing my story. This wasn’t just a shipping error. What if my 10 year old (fledgling knife collector) had been the one using it? All the knife safety teaching in the world wouldn’t have prevented him from potentially cutting his fingers off due to the out right neglect and lack of care that Blade HQ has shown they have for their customers.

I am still waiting To hear back.

End, rant.

Quite the first post there! o_O

You do realize that BHQ had a BIG sale on an exclusive knife Tuesday, and has been a just a wee bit busy this past week? If you ever need something resolved in the "NOW" timeframe, pick up a phone and call them! ;)

Personally, I think your anger/frustration is misplaced. CRKT is the company you should be angry with, they produced the "faulty" knife, not BHQ. Then, BHQ gave you a refund, and told you to keep the knife? And you're still upset? :confused: Really? o_O What more do you want man??? Please tell me that you're not expecting them to do anything more for you! :rolleyes:

And a sidebar if I may? Don't ever trust the lock on a *folding* knife to prevent it from closing at the most inopportune time! Use the knife properly, and you'll be fine. ;) Use a fixed blade otherwise. :thumbsup: This perceived "problem" of the knife lock being "faulty" is very much a matter of opinion, and plenty of folks think the lock is just fine. There would have been a recall otherwise...

What a totally lame response. Grow up.

So you think there's a conspiracy against BladeHQ? I've easily read half a dozen or so bad reviews in the past few months.

Rebuking people for utilizing this portion of the forums for its intended use is asinine at best. This should serve as a welcome learning experience for BladeHQ. Regardless of if the OP is being a tad dramatic.

But by all means, continue the shillary, ad homs, and retailer worship.

You rebuke the guy like that, and then throw in a passive-aggressive jab at the end of your reply? Classy. Take a look in the mirror. :rolleyes: (The first line in your reply applies. ;))

Quite the first post there! o_O

You do realize that BHQ had a BIG sale on an exclusive knife Tuesday, and has been a just a wee bit busy this past week? If you ever need something resolved in the "NOW" timeframe, pick up a phone and call them! ;)

Personally, I think your anger/frustration is misplaced. CRKT is the company you should be angry with, they produced the "faulty" knife, not BHQ. Then, BHQ gave you a refund, and told you to keep the knife? And you're still upset? :confused: Really? o_O What more do you want man??? Please tell me that you're not expecting them to do anything more for you! :rolleyes:

And a sidebar if I may? Don't ever trust the lock on a *folding* knife to prevent it from closing at the most inopportune time! Use the knife properly, and you'll be fine. ;) Use a fixed blade otherwise. :thumbsup: This perceived "problem" of the knife lock being "faulty" is very much a matter of opinion, and plenty of folks think the lock is just fine. There would have been a recall otherwise...

You rebuke the guy like that, and then throw in a passive-aggressive jab at the end of your reply? Classy. Take a look in the mirror. :rolleyes: (The first line in your reply applies. ;))

Wasn't passive aggressive at all. I quoted the individual I was addressing directly. The closing sentence was in no way shape or form any different than the beginning or middle portions. The tone of my post was fluid throughout.

What I was doing was addressing an individual who was acting foolishly. Which I will continue to do when ignorance rears its ugly head.

What are you doing? Objectively speaking?

You can cry tu qouque until you're blue in the face but that doesn't change the fact that the person I addressed was out of line.

Also, I think that what the original poster desires is pretty clear; an amicable resolution in which BladeHQ maybe apologizes for sending him a potentially dangerous knife. I doubt the OP is fishing for hand outs.

I'm not going to argue the nuances of human interaction any longer. Please refer to my previous post, my point was clear and that's all.

Last edited:
Danke, April "fools". :rolleyes:
Probably someone in tears about these being out of stock.

Cold-Steel-CA-Legal-Espada-XL-Tri-Ad-Lock-Black-G-10-Black-BHQ-83225-jr-large.jpg

hinderer-scissors-large.jpg

spyderco-wolverine-claw-listing.jpg

Exacto-Spinner-mockup-april-fools-er.jpg

spyderco-tenacious-comb-mockup-spydercomb-dl.jpg

I've spent many thousands of dollars over more than a decade on many of the dealers that participate here. they all make mistakes sometimes. it's the end result that matters the most.

Absolutely. A mistake can be an opportunity to show grace and class OR an opportunity to keep digging.

I've only had one interaction with BHQs customer service and it wasn't the best experience. I was probably being overly sensitive too, but the service was poor until the owner saw my complaint here and stepped in.

I've dealt with @Jordan@DLT a few times and the service has always been perfect. There's more than one retailer in the game. If it's not an exclusive I usually buy from DLT, CK or that knife retailer in England who's not a supporting member here.

It is not the retailers job to test the knives if this knife was so dangerous and manufactured so poorly it was the fault of the manufacturer, CRKT, not the retailer. The whole "it should never have been sold" is a BS passing of the responsibility as the reality is more along the lines of "it should never have left the manufacturing facility". This is CRKT who is known for using unique designs and mechanism and poor QC, as evident by the faulty knife they made and you were the unlucky purchaser of, so really your concerns over the danger of the knife are misdirected it was CRKT's fault and not BHQ. BHQ did right to offer a refund and went beyond when offering a refund w/o the return of the knife. From what I see BHQ has handled this situation properly and the only fault from them is in their slow response time which does seem to be something I am hearing of frequently in recent complaints about them.

I've not had a problem with BHQ, but they are not my preferred dealer. They have goofy shipping which is not their fault, it just seems that their location is in a Bermuda triangle where all shipping takes 1-2 days longer.

DLT and GPK are my dealers of choice. KnifeCenter is third.

I had one easy return with BHQ, and they handled it ASAP, but I called rather than waiting for email.
Some of their items ship a few days slower because they are drop shipped from Blue Ridge Knives, a wholesaler in Virginia.

DLT is my #1 go-to as well.

I try to avoid BHQ and only use them if they are the only ones with something in stock because:

1. Slow shipping
2. No rewards program--using them if someone WITH a program has the item in stock is just giving away money. If you are buying 1000s of dollars in knives this is a big deal to me.

Sadly I can't use DLT for everything. I've been getting into Reates lately and they don't carry them and that has made me venture out. Ironically I've used a no-rewards company (GP Knives) for my last 3 because Knifecenter was not showing to have them in stock. I am in the middle of doing a return with Knifecenter and so far so good there too although I did have to pay return shipping. GP Knives has been absolutely fast and good to go though.

I've yet to use KSF or KW or many of the others listed as I've never had to venture too far off of this "list" to get what I'm looking for.

I did use amazon once, maybe nearly a year ago. I'm thinking last summer. The CRKT Hisshou has been discontinued a bit but Amazon still showed some and more or less at the low prices they were going for while it was still in production. I ordered it and it actually came from not too far away--Amarillo, TX. It had a chip in the blade pretty close to the tip though (definitely not cool on a zero edge) and the return process wasn't very fast but it did go through. That was my first and last time with that.

My one experience with their customer service was fine. I had a knife that I originally thought would work for me, but every time I picked it up something "felt off". I really wanted to like the knife, but in the end returned it for a refund using their web site form. (It had never been carried, and was in new condition, with all the packaging intact) Processed it very quickly without any problem. Their 60 day hassle free return policy seems to be the longest one I am aware of, it took me almost all that time to decide that particular knife was not for me.

I have bought from BladeHQ since they opened
My last purchase from them was a Reate Jack Damasteel
The knife was $660.00 and then they charged me $42.00 in sales tax
That was a deal breaker for me, none of my other 5 go to dealer charge any tax
If it's a $100.00 knife it's no big deal, but $42.00 is a big deal in my opinion
I believe it's hurting there sales

Are you in the same state as them (they have two stores)? Does your state require online sellers to charge tax? That would be the only two reasons I can imagine any online dealer charging you tax, because they have to.

Are you in the same state as them (they have two stores)? Does your state require online sellers to charge tax? That would be the only two reasons I can imagine any online dealer charging you tax, because they have to.

We get pretty spoiled with the no tax sales and it comes as a bit of a shocker when we find one that can't do it, but not much the store can do.

The knife was $660.00 and then they charged me $42.00 in sales tax
That was a deal breaker for me, none of my other 5 go to dealer charge any tax
If it's a $100.00 knife it's no big deal, but $42.00 is a big deal in my opinion
I believe it's hurting there sales
I'm sure they didn't charge sales tax because they wanted to, it doesn't benefit them :rolleyes: and, by the way, it's THEIR sales. ;)

Back