Beginner Anvil

Hi, I am going to set up a home bladesmithing studio. At this time I'm interested in making knives, kitchen and utility and have very little interest in anything bigger than an 8" chef's knife for the time being.

Once I realized that Harbor Freight was offering a a cast iron anvil, I've started looking around for something stronger. Vevor sells a cast steel 66lb anvil for $119 and I'm looking for any feedback on if this is a reasonable anvil for my needs.

i live west of Chicago and I'm open to any ideas. Thanks for your advice in advance

Check out the Atlas Knife and Tool anvils. They are super good as a starter anvil, and very useful for an advanced maker. Worth every penny. Made in the USA by one of our Shop Talk members.
http://www.atlasknife.com/product/atlas-anvil/
s-l225.jpg

Thanks, that's a little out of my price range, but it's also, nicely sized. I can definitely see the appeal and will try and adjust my budget. It's definitely on the list.

i live west of Chicago and I'm open to any ideas.
Depending on how far west (I live west of Chicago, too...:rolleyes:), I'm sure there are steel yards or metal scrap yards where you could most likely find a large chunk of steel for the same cost as the harbor freight junk that'll work a lot better. If your're just starting out forging and going to make knives out of knifemaking stock sizes all you really need is something to beat on. You don't really need a horn, hardy or pritchel holes.

The price on that Atlas anvil is ridiculously low for what you seem to get. I would get it in a second if I wasnt in Europe. And I only do stock removal.

A piece of railroad track is commonly used. Check ebay. Its what I used when I did the little forging I tried.
If I ever try forging again I am getting one of those Atlas anvils

I admit I'm somewhat biased because I had a little input and testing of the Atlas anvil, but must say that it is twice the bladesmithing anvil of anything in its price range. The mass is all under the face. It acts like a 120# anvil. Hardy hole is useful for hot cutting and using a drawing hardy. Almost every square inch of the face is usable for forging. I have used many anvils and owned probably a dozen. The first production Atlas made sits on the bench in the hot shop. The big Hay Budden does the big work, but the Atlas gets used for most smaller tasks. I gave away most 0f my other anvils because the Atlas did all I needed in a second shop anvil.

FF Drew - If the money just isn't there right now for a real anvil, send me your shipping address and I'll send you a RR track anvil.

I sprung for the Atlas anvil last year and haven't regretted it once. I bought a ~120lb Hay Budden about six months ago and I still prefer to use the Atlas. It's perfect for what we do.

If you want an Atlas anvil, FF_Drew, let me know. I'm mostly out of stock, but for a member here on BFC, and the glowing reviews, I'll come up with one for you.

Atlas Knife Co., that would be amazing! I'd just recently decided that waiting on the Alas and spending the money was just going to have to work. Hard to argue with the reviews and I'm a big fan of the design and everything else about your anvils.

Thanks!!!

If you want an Atlas anvil, FF_Drew, let me know. I'm mostly out of stock, but for a member here on BFC, and the glowing reviews, I'll come up with one for you.
I think I'd like to snag one too if/when you have any extras... Can't pm you though for some reason.

I haven't ever forged but the kids wanna start doing some of it... Is the lack of a horn a big deal?

I think I'd like to snag one too if/when you have any extras... Can't pm you though for some reason.

I haven't ever forged but the kids wanna start doing some of it... Is the lack of a horn a big deal?
I don’t find the lack of horn to be a issue, I have an anvil with a horn on it but still use the atlas 95% of the time, you can use the large radius on the edge and wedges or hammering inside a curve with the piece tilted off the anvil to create curved shapes. I can forge a khukuri on the atlas anvil no problem and they have some larger curves in the profile. Once in a while the horn comes in handy on my other anvil but if I just had the atlas there’s plenty of work arounds that work just as well.

Back