Beginner Khukuri or Parang Steel Type

I am looking for some advice for a beginner. I would like to try my hand at making knives. What I really want to make is Khukuri or Parangs. What would be the best steel for me to start with and how would I buy it or where would I get it from? Would the steel have to be heat treated or can you get types that you can just grind and go on?

1084. Grind it and then Heat treat it any way you can. I will let someone else go into specifics. Get it from njsteelbaron.com. it will make a very decent knife and is easy to wrk with. Read the stickies. Good job on getting your profile filled out. research every question you would ask before you ask it. and, finally, have fun :D

Maybe it's just me, but I can't use the word Beginner in the same sentence with Khukuri or Parang. ;) :D

Seriously, those would probably be the last thing I'd attempt to start with.

Would suggest going to the Local RV or Spring shop and asking for a Drop cut of raw 5160.
Great for a beginner and easy to HT or have done for you.
Get the thinest they have or you will spend eternity shaping and filing!

Its possible but probably not provable however I too wanted to forge out a kukri machete and after several years of forging behind me I did make one. 5160 is the way to go and I also did not want to use the trip hammer so going old school arm and hammer baby I was left with this and some wore out arms 6 hours after I started! Lots of work and had to use everything I knew to make it a success. I could not have pulled this off when I just started but that does not mean you cant. Just a little insight into whats involved.

Untitled-4.jpg

Thanks guys. And yeah I know that its not really a beginner project but it is my ultimate goal.

If it's an eventual goal you've got plenty of time to start with 1084 and decide later
if you want to switch steels.

Back