"BEGON" France.

Picked this up today in a bad state, the backspring seems to have lost some of it's spring! I liked the look of it so took it home, a quick clean revealed the makers mark Begon.

4V5l454.jpg

J0Pug0J.jpg

TriZyUX.jpg

Doyu8c0.jpg

tpNmCrK.jpg

It's stamped ""BEGON" & something else I can't make out, like P,47.

The only thing I've been able to find so far is it's french, so any info appreciated.

Last edited:
Sometimes the spring seems weakened but it is really just in need of some oil and a cleaning. Drop on some oil and work the blades back and forth to see if that helps the snap.

Looks like a double-end Harness Jack - small version..

I think you're right, not so small though. That's my fault, I should have said the size or put some scale in the image.
The reamer/awl/punch has 90° flats on the knife folded side & three flats on the outer side, if that makes sense.
I have tried cleaning & oiling but the spring has seen better days, it does just hold things open & closed though so that's OK. I have a feeling it's very old, the horn is wavy but very smooth.

G1LFFoy.jpg

xGYPPPz.jpg

FnTRLWM.jpg

Last edited:
Your knife is a navette or canif.
Begon is a family name quite common in the mountain around Thiers.
According to Michel Fervel's remarkable work, the name was first recorded in 1809.
247 was first registered by Begon-Chevalerias in 1943.

Thank you Jolipapa Jolipapa , so the mark is 247.
Is that the makers registration number or the knife model number?

BEGON
Hello
I'm looking for information about this knife.

The pattern is "navette" or "suisse", makes a serious edc, still made by some brands from generic parts. That kind of saw is amazingly efficient. Begon is an old factory in Thiers, check here.
Handle looks like pressed horn, would benefit of some olive oil treatment to get some gloss back (not on the axle!). Problem with such horn is that it absorbs water and tends to make chips if not oiled regularly.

Last edited:
Back