Belt tension

If I was going to do a ratchet tension arm I would bypass all that complicated nonsense and just use a push button nut and a threaded bolt. The threaded bolt could be drilled on one side for a pivot and the nut tack welded to a support bracket.

nqr_d_l.jpg
I thought about that before, and there's also a "quick knob" that's somewhat similar:
6032kl1l.png

That said, I think the nuts get much harder to disengage once there's any real tension on them. I guess you'll be pushing up on the tension arm before disengaging though.
BUT.... what if you set it up as an over center cam style of tensioner? That way you could quickly remove tension with the cam lever, adjust the threaded nut up or down as needed, and then re-tension with the lever.

I may give this a try...

Natlek - sure wish you weren't half way around the world from Alabama! Well, maybe not fully half way, but still a LONG way. I'm thinking I do like your idea of a solid pressure rather than spring to hold belt tension. I've just not totally figured how to do it yet.... well, an easy way. I like the idea of taking a 140 tooth saw blade for the ratchet. I've been working on a couple other projects (guns 'n knives), and of course the horizontal grinder. That seems to be working pretty good now and have used it on the last two knives I made.

I've got a KMG clone with tracking tension arm set up very much like the KMG. Below you can see the left and right views of the tension arm. How would you do a racket tension in 10 minutes? Even an hour or more. Thanks for any input and ideas. Ken H>

KMG_Tension_L.jpg

KMG_Tension_R.jpg

Here.....................make room in this part where is pivot of tension arm , bolt from inside ratchet part and other part on tracking arm..............
hxCXwTu.jpg

Just like my solution but in different way
XHWBwuw.jpg

I m sorry Ken , because I can t explain better .I can t find right words for some parts in Macedonian not in English language :D

Natlet -your english is so good I tend to forget it's not your first language! I do understand what you're saying. I've got to get finished with a couple current projects before I can tackle that one.

Back