Benchmade 162 Bushcrafter

It's curious that they went with a conventional saber grind, and I'm not quite sure why they felt the need to use titanium tubing for the handle fasteners rather than stainless? with that grind, stock thickness, and handle material it's obviously not trying to win praise as a lightweight option. The sheath looks like a step up from Benchmade's usual atrocious leatherwork, though. I swear--every CSK II sheath I ever saw looked like it had been made by the lowest bidder out of spray-painted cardboard.

Looks like an ok knife and I like a lot about it but...meh. Misses the mark for me. I wish them the best of luck with it, though they've missed much of the bushcrafting boom.

There's already a thread on this knife, by the way. :)

Ho hum, another bushcraft knife.

So why is this better than the hundreds of existing versions available already?

Just chasing a trend, and more than 5 years late.

For bushcrafting that handle looks pretty bad. Put that handle in a chest lever grip and the point at the bottom of the handle will dig a hole in your hand fast.

I don't know that s30v would be my bushcrafting steel of choice. also, that handle contour is not my ideal. I think I would also rather have a convex or scandi rather than the saber grind. Also, as someone else mentioned, the custom option is cheaper or the same price and gives you a better knife...

It kinda reminds me of the BRKT Bravo1. I have had almost 100 different folders, but never a good fixed blade... its time. Just gotta find the right one.

Thanks for your guys input.

Looks pretty good IMO. Should be below $150 at online retailers.

It's a nice fixed blade, though not much of a bushcrafting knife from the looks of it. But if that's the price point, I say it's pretty good. Not many quality stainless blades could be found at that price for a while.

Anyone seen this yet. Looks like something I might be interested in.

What do you think about the use of S30V on this one.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/162

I wanna here some complaints.

Thanks,
Dalton

It looks nice but I would much prefer my Fallkniven F1 for about the same price.
SWEDF1EK.jpg

http://www.fallkniven.com/en/shop/details/370/10/military-knives/f1

Sorry about the thread revival but I am considering picking one of these up. Any more reports now that this knife has been around for a while?

I have one I bought before the price increase thing, and its been a decent blade. I don't think the heat treat on the blade is particularly good, but it has been a good camp knife. Nice sheath, deerskin with firerod holder. Otherwise, its "ok."

I have one and it is a great knife. You can beat the snot out of it with no problem. I've had mine since just after they came out...Bought it as a crossover blade. It makes a much better bushcraft knife than i thought it would and the handle just works. I agree it looks a bit different but it is comfortable i the hand and is super sharp. I haven't had to sharpen mine since I bought it a year or so ago. It isn't soft like most preferred BC blades and it makes a darn good hunting knife too. The grind on the blade makes much thinner feather sticks and curls without effort and they light easy with a LMF Steel.

I have had one for almost a year. It has been a great all purpose outdoor knife. The steel holds a great edge. I was unsure about the handle design, but it is fine. I have never noticed any hotspots. but I do not carve for hours like some guys here do. Its a great knife. Shop around and you can usually find a good deal on one.

I have one and it is a great knife. You can beat the snot out of it with no problem. I've had mine since just after they came out...Bought it as a crossover blade. It makes a much better bushcraft knife than i thought it would and the handle just works. I agree it looks a bit different but it is comfortable i the hand and is super sharp. I haven't had to sharpen mine since I bought it a year or so ago. It isn't soft like most preferred BC blades and it makes a darn good hunting knife too. The grind on the blade makes much thinner feather sticks and curls without effort and they light easy with a LMF Steel.
Good to hear, especially since I just bought one. Should be here in about a week. :D

Are you happy with your purchase?
Yes, very happy with it.
I visited the Benchmade booth at Shot Show and noted the 162 is still in their lineup. (Third one down in this photo)
The guy I talked to said the EOD guys wanted and liked the knife, but wanted it to have Brown scales instead of the green ones I have.
Sounds like I'm not the only one that likes it. ;)
standard.jpg

Back