Benchmade 200 Puukko and ferro rods

Hi all, just recently ordered a 200 puukko and saw that there was a slot for a ferro rod on the sheath. I know there’s a Benchmade specific one floating around, so I’m tempted to go with that one since it’s made for it, but I can’t seem to find any info on it. Or any info about other rods that fit and work well. Anyone have any suggestions, information, or tips for me?

The Benchmade Ferro Rod is made by Exoctac. It's the same thing as the Exotac FireROD with some slight changes. The ferro rod in the Benchmade version is about an inch longer than the standard rod that comes with the Exotac FireRod. The Benchmade version also comes with QuickLIGHT tinder already loaded in the waterproof capsule.

Both versions have 5/16" threaded ferro rods so they can be replaced when they wear out. You can also replace the shorter rod from the Exotac with the longer style that comes with the Benchmade, as both replacement sizes are available for sale. The Exoctac version sells for about $25 and the Benchmade version sales for about $40. I think the added $15 is worth it for the extra inch of ferro rod and two pieces of tinder... And the blue color of the Benchmade version looks pretty sweet too.

If you want something classier... There are MANY flavors available. I'd hop on over to someplace like DLT Trading or Knivesshipfree and check out their offerings. There is some beautiful stuff for sale at reasonable prices.

Here's my gray Exotac (note how much shorter it looks than the pics of the Benchmade).
IatiiNh.jpg

Last edited:
Back