Benchmade 200 puukko; the handle

A couple of months ago I picked up a Bechmade puukko and I love it. I love it so much I convexed the edge to my preference and made a kydex sheath for it.

The knife is capable of all tasks I use it for.

After some use I noticed that the back of the handle pushes into the palm of my hand, mainly when using push cuts, causing so much discomfort I had to put the knife down for some time. In all honesty; I work at an office so I have fairly soft hands, but I'm still used to some hard work and lengthy chores.

The back of the handle digs into my hand at the black line.

View of the narrow handle top.

I know this is not a review or testing thread, but I thought this was the best place for this topic.

Have you experienced this with your puukko?

That is an intriguing knife, and very well done IMHO. I would think the grippy grip is designed for good traction in less than optimum conditions, i.e., cold, wet, field dressing etc., so probably a compromise. I suppose you could look for an alternate smooth handle, wood/micarta etc. but that likely would be as pricey as the knife itself. Appropriate gloves (chainsaw gloves or Kevlar safety wear) might be a solution, but probably your hands will adapt in time. Nice sheath, BTW.

Back