Review Benchmade 200 Puukko

Is it a Puukko, No

The saying goes, all puukkos are knives but not all knives are puukkos.a puukko is a wood carving knife FIRST.
It's really a specialized tool.

The Benchmade 200 series Puukko is designed to take the best attributes of the top survival/bushcraft knives and put them all in one package, a "Jack of all trades master of none" type blade

Yet, very customizable with geometries.
More on that later.

[Malanika Puukko in 4v, one of the knives that inspired the 200 puukko]
pHIBqBZ.jpg

The 200 puukko is a survival/bushcraft hybrid not purely a bushcraft/wood carver.

Experts rejoice with one look at this knife, it has lots options for changing the geometry.

You can convex it, flat zero grind it or leave stock geometry for ultimate durability.

It takes features from Fallkniven survial knives and Malanika puukkos but with the price of a Mora Garberg.

The best part, CPM 3v steel.

This knife is a home run

With the stock geometry the knife is very durable thanks to the CPM 3v steel at 60rc.

Most knives break in half with this kind of testing. A .25" nail is no joke.

If the blade was thinner or harder the results would not be as good.

No chipping just some micro rolling smaller then the eyes can see.

While nail batoning is impressive it won't be the ultimate geometry for everyone.
Those with the skill and know how will be able to fully customize the geometry to there preference and use.

So everyone wins. New guys get a durable blade and experts get a very affordable package that they can fine tune for higher cutting performance at the cost of durability.

Thanks Benchmade and thank you Dutchbushcraft Knives for inspiring them to make a better fixed blade.
It's nice to see someone at Benchmade paying attention.

With the stock geometry the knife is very durable thanks to the CPM 3v steel at 60rc.
I have only seen it listed as 57-59 RC. It has already been brought up that this knife could have been ran a little harder. I think 60-61 RC would have been preferable, but it will still work fine at ~58 RC.

Last edited:
Seems to me that one could make a solid case that between the 200 Puukko and the 535 Bugout you’d have all your outdoor/backpacking knife needs well covered.

I need to get this one. But a kydex sheath might really help it out.

Last edited:
Seems to me that one could make a solid case that between the 200 Puukko and the 535 Bugout you’d have all your outdoor/backpacking knife needs we’ll covered.

I need to get this one. But a kydex sheath might really help it out.

My thoughts exactly. I already have the Bugout and the Puukko is on it’s way to me. Those two will accomplish really all my knife needs outside of the kitchen. Will still have my Mini Crooked River for a dressy knife just for the fun of it though.

I wonder if the handle will allow moisture in and it will rust like the steep country? if not, I will be picking one up!

Thanks for the write up and review.

I really like the specs on this model. It looks like a great performer and worker.

This style of knife makes a lot of sense, and when you build it with such a great steel, ergos, and price tag it checks a lot of boxes.

I think Benchmade is going to sell a lot of these!

This one has piqued my interest. Looks like a good price for a capable knife. Can’t remember seeing 3V in a production knife at this price regardless of handle material. G-10 and micarta can’t be that much cheaper?

The specs are listed,. The hardness MAY conform to the specs - or not.
Have you tested the hardness or seen independent tests? Unless you have evidence then the published numbers are the most reliable. Variation will occur in serial production, but saying it can fall outside of specs is conjecture. How likely is it to fall outside of specs? 5%? 0.01%?

The specs are claims. The hardness MAY conform to the specs - or not.

Have you tested the hardness or seen independent tests? Unless you have evidence then the published numbers are unconfirmed claims. Saying hardness falls within specs is conjecture. I give you VW diesel engine emissions specs,

The specs are claims. The hardness MAY conform to the specs - or not.

Have you tested the hardness or seen independent tests? Unless you have evidence then the published numbers are unconfirmed claims. Saying hardness falls within specs is conjecture. I give you VW diesel engine emissions specs,
So you have nothing. The VW engine emission specs were fraudulent. What motivation would they have to list the specs as 57-59 when they were running 60. I trust their published data to reflect the bulk of their production accurately because heat treatment is a critical production process. I think your conjecture is interesting, but what do you have supporting it?

Back