Benchmade 319 Proper...I like it

As a fan of traditional pocket knives, I'm excited for a factory "modern" traditional.

I love everything about it...except the nail nick. It looks like an afterthought. As shallow as it makes me sound, it is the only thing keeping me from getting one.

As a fan of traditional pocket knives, I'm excited for a factory "modern" traditional.

I love everything about it...except the nail nick. It looks like an afterthought. As shallow as it makes me sound, it is the only thing keeping me from getting one.

Hey, it's your money.

Agreed. Loose the nail nick. It is not needed.

Offer this knife, minus the nail nick, in a FFG D2 blade. Then you would have something!

I agree with this. I don't use the nail nick, but it does lend some texture making opening the knife easier. Keep but yes, FFG D2 would make the thing more attractive!

Don't get me wrong, I like a nail nick, and think it needs one, but the nick that is on there currently looks like it was made by a Dremel Tool as an afterthought.

My LionSteel Roundhead arrived today. I think it's a great companion for the Proper.

kwiFHuabDMUuatQQMVDUqOeCWbPHqk_jPJptVkJwshzR54d8kkViWZeHoTjcR0B-DQ63bmJA3ZRRPlWHQtHgu3RH3ue7HhvMcO0jSreHfXqn7M-EdupPPMqJwyrEpTjWrEoH91iVgbt-GZYGQOHW3AtuVs8mzShrJTASrMYsAXcQDeQSO_77UA1gMQztz0o_mBD5SS4hHLaReXigygZNWGu3H0oMZvjGK0gHO9WhC_nFRTON8Oa3sZWIQHMoNGqYRlWROZjIkefmQx_cexHO78Y4_hUbZNtTIg6jdiCTJLOz9GO2dLdvWLKSacCXpUIaBdImlAcb5bnN4R4CZHewK5UznWaQrWZfZ6pEskvpkVlJZYJnj84giJVTJcasG8k4W3jTIDPM9O_Ha5WJyKF5CD3XAmUKO0xShY2WnbykT0DkyklmdGF_Bq1xdLeiZ7n0xCW3VmMUktWlY82m4clM_3rwyO__iLlT2qVspJGGjdUle4fOGQVCU3OyUIPtlTHWz4ct5zXJAO9JQMq9sBnEmX9qyXSoi-zRcA_oEiU-13sriH3eXHCjT-bsfBaMlf6DimmOyjA-WiZCG4wC4nUS4xrz3kT94Rq-Boy6oGM7grxjxCvp8L0d=w1008-h680-no

QgmchcQ3q_20L_-XON_5UjRQvUnjojpvLN3ZjDEFIkgMvqiTMJ-Jj1fbmcS1FgJ-Fljanjt_7eaBAS0VqLWktn4al0jCTv5RvD8xKuR6stYdAsyEFmJdzyMM3tfoiGBzhWs4t4s3radPFBRQ3Qn63q8eqofN3M8E2OdvqOEB2giF_xBq-p5yISstG7enD73CeS-aD8zFp9VZmwlmlS3XKRLpQMDrcmTtHAMyUPwYUlRppqvurpIYxSN1cwOW8fSsUIXrhVcvnfCu4rBJxsxyDNWm4_nsZqsTXe5EW5dtzn01tcRhyAt-WiUen7ivQB8r4deLzc859ccLcesHEwli2ezwfPEwE30i8fgWztHpnRbTQJ8Cs7wly89rjZm3KhHPyDuO-DMbpBI13-9eKlXwFLsfWUdNPHi1KLHdLPiGnjlP1HcplI9tClxYFkUokTpCPG1nlQ8EUYSy4Vd5szUp3FVSFpmyrmMBDHTqNUu5GNo6hxkGZFmFHMSkTLtsl5s_1YHr85dhIhLHrqO8O0FavKc4xIb3oYs4wfNUGPH7duvvanr9Phn8Pj5tosCzdHSN-qLT6AWuFDD6YO2Qpaw1w6p04AzpB8Yz_U2WlKNyD_x-5Gt-IFWi=w1008-h680-no

zqYZWoOdYkCD_GfKaxyP0OAosInvd95G0luXwQbty0GkN3_tKpRXg4VtJCAUsIFXZvg_ewSSDGOYIUJdCqirOWnF9LitSh5spRumx3tv7PVTliVVpv3aaBNGnGm5vf-RY3QNfGK0BYvq5XJrjTTXIAJenrJDUzWHjyiqYDUYb-yOoYrzIwnzp7yNIkylyeg27yLfUiwczE3MqzJIsqfHoYBWnzyl0X5cBL7YnP_mrP1SyknX-C9hQauIn5iwpyYiI_SZqiCkd5sfbVj9sQR3wzqHgU_1F9OW7kGoKHAx4Dr01oBiyQk2SqifhRDQR5N8jxT_jdUzUuOCczW1A1j-6pijH-wxbod1Vc2NhEtayg5pyTuL0-8zIliwZ5O1VfC0Ilmhqmz6j2mIBWmNXK7nfko4YYgQCnOf2ya1s09n5u-2-KaGH1CGQLFmcFRcdsUkLJREv-9trw_ZZOWZsu8gyhCEdJukLysIBdJjNJm5-gGrn7qA0DXfV5UPQIociuh3N2LvsEheMHWU15q2gT__ONrFp_2nwf4Ir3My7cvlyAXsrkQ8Ve_u2y4mUBkL5Sj6HaO3v9bvCxjtRBU7fRSPSEe9vqwX9M7AqQOETVJGKI03q8YfvpB8=w1236-h633-no

I love it. I have one that will arrive on Wednesday. Can't wait. What a perfect modern traditional. Spot on.

Like photoman12001 photoman12001 , I recently picked up a lionSTEEL roundhead to go along with my Benchmade Proper. I'm definitely a modern folder guy and not so much into slipjoints, but I found the use of modern materials and updated styling in more traditional patterns to be very appealing. These knives make nice second-carries and I usually have either a smallish beater or more discrete knife along in the bottom of my left front pocket. There are times when a smaller knife is more handy or when it's best not to cause terror in the general populace by whacking out a 4" flipper.

Anyway, I concur that the Roundhead and Proper are great companion pieces. Unfortunately, JD's usually fine photos don't seem to be showing up, and while my photography skills pale in comparison to his, I'll still try to carry his water and put up a couple shots of these two cool little knives together.

E540LLS.jpg

9yIcGmD.jpg

I have huge support for the Proper. I've picked up the red G10 and two of the green micarta. The green micarta is my favorite and have since then gifted the red G10 to my brother (he loves it). I have several knives and there is something about this one that makes me grab it each and every day for a front pocket carry. I've posted on Instagram (gibertsme) how the micarta gains character after carrying it a few weeks (I have kept one of my green micarta in box so I could compare them side by side new/used). I really like everything about this knife. I've pursued Benchmade in an attempt to get them to make a variety of micarta colors (or wood??). I think brown, navy blue, black, ivory, etc. would be great additions to this line. I know I would own 1 of each for sure. :)

As far as the roundhead! I've got to find me some of these. :thumbsup:

I would like to give the Proper a chance and I dig the design but for my back up carry to my modern folder I can't give up the utility of a SAK. For someone who wants a modern slipjoint though, I don't know that this can be beat. It looks to be a great option.

I will echo that I think a full flat ground D2 blade with that micarta would be KILLER.

I would like to give the Proper a chance and I dig the design but for my back up carry to my modern folder I can't give up the utility of a SAK. For someone who wants a modern slipjoint though, I don't know that this can be beat. It looks to be a great option.

I will echo that I think a full flat ground D2 blade with that micarta would be KILLER.
I hadn't thought much about a different blade grind and steel for the Proper as I'm very pleased with mine and not one to whine about "just S30V", but looking at my pics at #91 above, a FFG like the Roundhead in M390 would be pretty sweet. Keep the front swedge, though.

BTW, lionSTEEL is coming out with a clip-point version of the Euro-Barlow. I have a pre-order in on one in CF.

BTW, lionSTEEL is coming out with a clip-point version of the Euro-Barlow. I have a pre-order in on one in CF.

I've got a micarta reserved. I planned to order some custom micarta scales for the Roundheads but it seemed silly when I could get a whole knife for a few dollars more.

I've got a micarta reserved. I planned to order some custom micarta scales for the Roundheads but it seemed silly when I could get a whole knife for a few dollars more.
I know what you're saying about putting a hundred bucks worth of scales on a $120 knife. Of course this is coming from the guy that effectively doubled the cost of his Ritter Griptilian pair by putting WilkinsGrips on 'em. :oops:

I hadn't thought much about a different blade grind and steel for the Proper as I'm very pleased with mine and not one to whine about "just S30V", but looking at my pics at #91 above, a FFG like the Roundhead in M390 would be pretty sweet. Keep the front swedge, though.

The grind and steel doesn't bother me at all. D2 would age well with micarta though. :)

I actually have a preorder in as well for micarta. I figure if I don't like it, I can move it without losing money.

I'm headed to REI tomorrow, they have some of the micartas in stock and I will be walking out with one. This is such a great looking knife.

I looked at the Proper at REI yesterday and it just confirmed my belief it needs a FFG. I felt the same way about the Valet when it came out.
Benchmade needs to drop the saber grind on their smaller knives before I'll look at them.
CPM-S30V is not a bad steel but I would have prefered D2 or CPM S35VN.

Back