Benchmade 319 Proper...I like it

I've been wanting the red G10 Proper for a while, but have been picking up other things lately. I was idly browsing the Exchange the other day and found one LNIB for 80 bucks so I pounced and will have a companion for my green Micarta. This must be my lucky week as I was able to find the brand new Al Mar Falcon Talon I've been seeking for a couple years. Here's one of the seller's pics of my new Proper which should arrive mid-week.

rNLPQin.jpg

I picked up my red G10 Proper the other day and now have both versions. I think in some ways I prefer the Micarta, but the other version has a good-though-different feel in hand too. Nice color and finish on the G10 for sure. I complemented my green knife with a simple one-knot red lanyard and reversed things with my red one.

ziNoR3H.jpg

Zd7NP8E.jpg

I picked up my red G10 Proper the other day and now have both versions. I think in some ways I prefer the Micarta, but the other version has a good-though-different feel in hand too. Nice color and finish on the G10 for sure. I complemented my green knife with a simple one-knot red lanyard and reversed things with my red one.

ziNoR3H.jpg

Zd7NP8E.jpg

It’s definitely difficult to choose between the G10 & micarta on these. If pressed I’d probably say the G10.

On a side note, I’ve got to say that I’m not really liking the blade shape on the 318. It looks like someone just took a grinder to the 319 blade. Something about it doesn’t look right to my eye; the knife doesn’t seem to flow well.

Last edited:
It’s definitely difficult to choose between the G10 & micarta on these. Of pressed I’d probably say the G10.

On a side note, I’ve got to say that I’m not really liking the blade shape on the 318. It looks like someone just took a grinder to the 319 blade. Something about it doesn’t look right to my eye; the knife doesn’t seem to flow well.
I hadn't been aware of the impending release of the 318. I googled it and have to agree with you--it really is a pretty fugly blade shape with that hard angle at the spine and straight drop to the tip. What makes you think that taking a grinder to a 319 isn't exactly what they did. :rolleyes:

Alright I maybe alone here, but I had to try this, and I like it. I think its more of a comfortable grip for me now. Before I felt like it was a canoe type of folder with the large bolsters on either end, which forced my fingers to the middle with my pinky finger off of the end most of the time. I will be getting the 318 as well but I don't know if I will do this yet. The micarta is "grippy" enough that it doesn't slip either. I really like this knife now...
W0Svy4l.jpg

lSmxr6a.jpg

gJHhBES.jpg

UmBksu6.jpg

After seeing a Micarta Proper displayed in a lot of the Hitch and Timber showcase pictures I couldn’t get it out of my head. It just looked like a perfect carry and the lines really caught my eye. I am 100% “traditional” in terms of my collection and this is probably as blurred as I will get to the hybrid line but man oh man I love this knife! The size makes it feel substantial enough for some real usage while it is nice and thin for easy pocket carry even in shorts. The blade is just plain cool looking and centered perfectly. Like others have mentioned it has a softer walk and talk but I am hoping it improves with a good flush and some use. I think this will be a great partner for my TC Barlow.

If I were going to get one of these, and I probably will, it will be the 318 clip point in micarta. That is a great looking knife, as far as I am concerned.

Just picked up a 318 clip in micarta, and noticed there is only a bushing on one side of the pivot. Is this normal for the proper?

Just picked up a 318 clip in micarta, and noticed there is only a bushing on one side of the pivot. Is this normal for the proper?

Do you mean washer or are you referring to the pivot pin?

Sorry, washer. From the factory the washer was on the front side of the knife which caused the blade to be off center a bit. Got home and took it apart to make sure and there is only one washer. When reassembled, I put the washer on the back side which fixed the blade centering, but now has a gap on the top just inside the handle when open due to pushing the blade the other way.

Last edited:
Back