Benchmade 3v

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.crucible.com/pdfs/SelectorKnifePocketRotatedCrucibleLLC.pdf
TMJqYmY.png
seems to me crucible would suggest adding hardness or increase blade thickness at the edge of a bugout. Not sure why they would think that lower hardness would be best for such a thin knife blade? link for context of the quote.

This is in direct comment to Benchmade saying...

What’s it matter as long as it does what a knife should?....... which is cut! Lol for crying out loud people most of us probably wouldn’t even know the difference between these minor variables. I’d actually bet on it.
Test a spydie vg10 or 154cm bet none are not much better, just saying.
No disrespect to any one but I’d bet even experienced smiths that custom hand make stuff even vary wildly. And u know what would probably never know cause it wasn’t listed at any number.
And i get it if you’re not into it or don’t believe the numbers but I’ve stated actual use of the bailout with no issues at all, actually has shown to be one of the more edge holding capable edges I’ve owned.

Here's the problem with it. Yes, 99% of people will never be able to tell the difference. I can tell you from personal experience that my Anthem feels soft and blunts extremely quickly for 20CV. The real problem is manufacturers using a steel like 3V because it's hot right now. They know that people will buy it because of its properties. Heat treating it low to "enhance toughness and ease of sharpening" negates any gain you'd get from those properties. It's great that the steel performs well for you. That's all that matters. It's personal preference. All we're saying is that we want something that's worth the premium we pay for these upgraded steels. I bet if you tested your 3v for edge retention, you'd get vg-10 range performance. A lot of the Spydercos that have been tested have had good or even great heat treats. They seem more concerned with it than others.

Here's the problem with it. Yes, 99% of people will never be able to tell the difference. I can tell you from personal experience that my Anthem feels soft and blunts extremely quickly for 20CV. The real problem is manufacturers using a steel like 3V because it's hot right now. They know that people will buy it because of its properties. Heat treating it low to "enhance toughness and ease of sharpening" negates any gain you'd get from those properties. It's great that the steel performs well for you. That's all that matters. It's personal preference. All we're saying is that we want something that's worth the premium we pay for these upgraded steels. I bet if you tested your 3v for edge retention, you'd get vg-10 range performance. A lot of the Spydercos that have been tested have had good or even great heat treats. They seem more concerned with it than others.

And that is exactly the point, sir. Why pay for what you’re not getting. If you can or cannot tell. All of us are paying the premium.

I get it! Sorry i had just had a moment and vented. No reason not being civil, I usually keep my cool better than that! Good holiday wknd chaps!!
Hopefully some better clarity will come out of it.

That's not the real problem. The real problem is an ignorant, hype-sensitive consumer base. As near as I can tell from all the info in this thread, BM has been more or less open about their heat treat numbers. Disregarding their debatable answer as to why, they have provided the information for buyers to review and choose.

Unfortunately, so many in the knife community are so over-obsessed with a steel's nomenclature and what cool kid says it's the best, that it leads to this kind of thing. I think even the makers such as Spyderco who have a good reputation of proper heat treats for steels are largely ridiculous in sub-four inch folding pocket knives. Most of it is unnecessary. It just is. But it's cool or collectors/enthusiasts just want it or whatever. That's great. So long as the buyer understands what it is all about and what they are getting and are cool with it.

This should all be about educating the consumer not trashing on any given maker or the steels themselves.

tomhosang tomhosang I'm not saying you were doing that at all. Just used your quote to highlight a point.

As I said earlier in this thread, I think it is awesome people are doing this kind of testing. No one should be against it.

:)

More of this kind of testing needs done across all brands. Companies need to be held accountable for their claims and spec sheets, especially with how much competition is out there right now. Benchmade has been on my list of do not buys for many years now, and they just seem to keep getting worse.

3V should never be on a thin plastic knife like this is the first place. They had something going with the bugout (even though I'd never buy one), and for whatever reason instead of doubling down, they screwed the pooch on heat treat, and overall design (as talked about in Shabazz's video).

More of this kind of testing needs done across all brands. Companies need to be held accountable for their claims and spec sheets, especially with how much competition is out there right now. Benchmade has been on my list of do not buys for many years now, and they just seem to keep getting worse.

3V should never be on a thin plastic knife like this is the first place. They had something going with the bugout (even though I'd never buy one), and for whatever reason instead of doubling down, they screwed the pooch on heat treat, and overall design (as talked about in Shabazz's video).

It has been. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OepNr_D4lqbdTFqdqWl1rmAd4bOzPzJe6J0iEWrdJGU/htmlview

Wonder where the source of that info is/was...hahaha!

That's not the real problem. The real problem is an ignorant, hype-sensitive consumer base. As near as I can tell from all the info in this thread, BM has been more or less open about their heat treat numbers. Disregarding their debatable answer as to why, they have provided the information for buyers to review and choose.

Unfortunately, so many in the knife community are so over-obsessed with a steel's nomenclature and what cool kid says it's the best, that it leads to this kind of thing. I think even the makers such as Spyderco who have a good reputation of proper heat treats for steels are largely ridiculous in sub-four inch folding pocket knives. Most of it is unnecessary. It just is. But it's cool or collectors/enthusiasts just want it or whatever. That's great. So long as the buyer understands what it is all about and what they are getting and are cool with it.

This should all be about educating the consumer not trashing on any given maker or the steels themselves.

tomhosang tomhosang I'm not saying you were doing that at all. Just used your quote to highlight a point.

As I said earlier in this thread, I think it is awesome people are doing this kind of testing. No one should be against it.

:)

Well reasoned and expressed.

I’m in agreement, and made a video approaching it from the consumer side. I very much appreciate that your attitude is one of solution focus instead of attacking Benchmade. I see this as a two-sided issue, with BM making a miss on their end, and a lot of consumers also making avoidable mistakes.

FWIW, in conversations with everyone in the steel chat Alchemy1 Alchemy1 and I are in, the consensus is “they screwed up on this one”, as opposed to being anti-BM or anything close to it. In fact, I think we’re unanimous fans of the Bugout and Super Freek, among others.

I think the best case scenario is all involved parties recognizing and owning their opportunities to do better going forward.

Nope Cray, but nice try again saying things I never said.

So you didn't say this:
How does benchmade follow up a huge blunder (cutting up guns)? By a bigger one (selling pot metal steel)!

Seems to me you are accusing benchmade of selling pot metal rather than 3v. Or are you saying I have changed what you actually said?

If the topic is to be taken seriously then your discussion points should be made seriously.

Nick Shabazz was pretty underwhelmed by the heat treatment on the Bailout as well. He talks about it 6 minutes in.

Bullshit review all to common these days. He cut a couple cardboard boxes and read a bunch of stuff on the internet.

Actually carry and use the knife if you are going to review the thing.

What is the point otherwise?

Edit: and I generally like his reviews but given the controversy he mentions, he should include more review.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back