Benchmade 3v

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea the people who make those charts are not smart. It happens alot.
https://knifesteelnerds.com/2018/09/03/ranking-the-steel-ranking-articles/

And from the sound of it, they don't know that m390, 20cv and 204p are the same composition. And it confuses there customers. Maybe they heat treated them differently, but why. Such drastic differences in those charts for being the same steel composition.

One time I asked them about the discrepancy, the engineer on their company run forum told me they heat treat the M390 to be tougher and the 20CV to be harder, because those were the attributes they wanted to maximize from each steel. It was a while ago and I remember not being completely satisfied with their answer. I'll see if I can find the exact question and answer. Sounds familiar.

This isn’t my post. Somehow I’ve become the focus of the post, but the OP was presenting all of the info in a condensed form that shows the Bailout/Benchmade’s 3v isn’t holding a “good” edge as Benchmade claims. I know they’re aware of my concerns. They, for whatever reason(s), have chosen not to reply. If a rep from the company responded that they know about my concerns and we’re going to reply, I’m sure they contacted the gentleman you speak of.

As I’ve also mentioned on IG, companies literally pay people to do 1 job, monitor social media. There is no way that BM doesn’t know about a 5 page thread on a forum they are members of. We really need to use logic and reason when thinking about these things.

i’m sorry if i came across in any way as confrontational. that was not my intention at all. i was just throwing this out there as another possible source to look into for the op, yourself, or anyone else that might be interested.

This isn’t my post. Somehow I’ve become the focus of the post, but the OP was presenting all of the info in a condensed form that shows the Bailout/Benchmade’s 3v isn’t holding a “good” edge as Benchmade claims. I know they’re aware of my concerns. They, for whatever reason(s), have chosen not to reply. If a rep from the company responded that they know about my concerns and we’re going to reply, I’m sure they contacted the gentleman you speak of.

As I’ve also mentioned on IG, companies literally pay people to do 1 job, monitor social media. There is no way that BM doesn’t know about a 5 page thread on a forum they are members of. We really need to use logic and reason when thinking about these things.
Nobody said it's your post or your responsibility to do so. We're just telling it like it is, which is that some good night come of it if you were to do so. Embarrass them on their forum and they usually respond. Or they lock the post, which is a response in and of itself. I don't think they have much incentive to respond to something that isn't on their own forum.

This isn’t my post. Somehow I’ve become the focus of the post...

Perhaps it's because you have like twice as many posts in the thread as the OP himself? Might explain it...

But it's no matter, a thread is a thread, and those who have subject matter to contribute surely aren't limited in any way.

I sincerely hope you get some resolution to this. If you get answers from BM on some other front, please share it here. :thumbsup:

That video by Brown Bear (in the OP) prying apart a wooden pallet with this little 2 ounce knife was darned impressive. I would never have guessed that such a light knife could take that kind of abuse.

I destroyed a Randall fixed blade with about that level of abuse -- maybe less, because the Bear looks bigger, younger and tougher than me. It, too, was run very soft, as is Randall's wont. But the steel -- I think some flavor of 440 -- couldn't take the kind of abuse that that little Benchmade did.

So Benchmade deserves some credit, even though it's not my kind of knife.

By the way, that Randall came in at 7.1 oz.

That video by Brown Bear (in the OP) prying apart a wooden pallet with this little 2 ounce knife was darned impressive. I would never have guessed that such a light knife could take that kind of abuse.

I destroyed a Randall fixed blade with about that level of abuse -- maybe less, because the Bear looks bigger, younger and tougher than me. It, too, was run very soft, as is Randall's wont. But the steel -- I think some flavor of 440 -- couldn't take the kind of abuse that that little Benchmade did.

So Benchmade deserves some credit, even though it's not my kind of knife.

By the way, that Randall came in at 7.1 oz.

That video is actually showing the 591 Boost, which as a blunted pry tip, and is more substantial at 4.5 oz. It definitely has more substantial liners than the Bailout. I haven't seen anyone subject the Bailout to substantial prying like that. the most abuse I've seen on the bailout was PM2OG's posts on instagram, where he hammered it through some concrete and thick wires (seen in the first two "Bailout test" youtube videos in the OP).

That video is actually showing the 591 Boost, which as a blunted pry tip, and is more substantial at 4.5 oz. It definitely has more substantial liners than the Bailout. I haven't seen anyone subject the Bailout to substantial prying like that. the most abuse I've seen on the bailout was PM2OG's posts on instagram, where he hammered it through some concrete and thick wires (seen in the first two "Bailout test" youtube videos in the OP).

Thank you for that correction. Even so, that 4.5 oz Boost did a lot better than my POS Randall, which is nearly twice as big and a lot more expensive -- plus it's a fixed blade.

That’s the conversation we need to be having and we need to be asking the manufacturers the hard questions. If a backyard “scientist” (again, my wording) puts out some hairbrained idea, how hard is it for BM, or any other company, to come out and simply provide the reasonable and logical answers/proof. Do we really think BM hasn’t seen these conversations? It’s all over IG. Do we really think BM couldn’t get an HRC reading/pic in minutes? Do we really think that their company doesn’t have data sheets on hand from QC testing? Yet and still, they sit quietly. One has to begin to wonder if they think this is a conversation that is just going to blow over.
Unless you work for them, assuming they are try pull something is ridiculous. .

Benchmade: Because we all beat our knives into cinderblock pavers, and cut rope into tiny pieces for hours.

Perhaps it's because you have like twice as many posts in the thread as the OP himself? Might explain it...

But it's no matter, a thread is a thread, and those who have subject matter to contribute surely aren't limited in any way.

I sincerely hope you get some resolution to this. If you get answers from BM on some other front, please share it here. :thumbsup:

I’m not going to let people call me an idiot or see responses that don’t address the entire reason I started this conversation on my own platform without responding. I don’t know too many that would sit back and be name called or continue to let their point be misunderstood.

If you all follow my IG/YT (I prefer my own platforms) I’m as transparent as the day is long. All info will be shared. I always have and always will. No matter who the company is. I think that is where people are getting this wrong as well. This is NOT a Benchmade thing. It just happens to involve a Benchmade knife. I have many more knives coming and they will be HRC’d as well. However they come up...it’ll be posted.

Last edited:
Unless you work for them, assuming they are try pull something is ridiculous. .

I literally have the screenshot. I don’t know what more I need to know. I’d post it, but I don’t want to betray the confidence of the person that sent it to me. Whoever runs their IG page literally said they saw the comment and were about to respond/reach out. That was over 25 hours ago.

I know I lurk here and don’t have a rep, but ask about me. All the slip joint guys know me, The USN guys know me, and lots of people know me from IG. I have no reason to or history of lying.

Perhaps it is because only you and a couple other think this is a really big deal?

It really isn't a big deal!

There is no deception. They just made a knife in the way they wanted. Opted for toughness over edgeretention.
And the edgeretention is just fine as it is. Just not stellar.

Perhaps it is because only you and a couple other think this is a really big deal?

It really isn't a big deal!

There is no deception. They just made a knife in the way they wanted. Opted for toughness over edgeretention.
And the edgeretention is just fine as it is. Just not stellar.

So advertising a knife for “professionals” and saying the knife is going to have good toughness and good edge retention, but it doesn’t isn’t something of concern. Seeing steel after steel on knife after knife come up in such a way that we are getting performance of much lesser steel, but paying for premium steels isn’t something of concern? That’s the point all of the guys I know are trying to make. If you like paying for something and not getting it, that your right as a consumer, but I know that I do not and many others do not either.

Again, this post was made about Bemchmade, but this is not just a Benchmade Bailout thing. This is happening with several different companies and knife steels. Even on such a basic level as overheated edges that cause a knife to under preform significantly until they’re sharpened a number of times. Again, if that’s not a concern to you, Godspeed to you, sir.

But Benchmade makes knives for the masses. Not connoisseurs.
How many ropecuts would you consider "good"?

But Benchmade makes knives for the masses. Not connoisseurs.
How many ropecuts would you consider "good"?

Poor performance is poor performance. I’ll go right back to my Ferrari analogy. I’m sure the vast majority of Ferrari’s are driven around town well within the speed limit. Should you buy one and have them half the HP and then say, “we’ll you’re only going to drive around town. So, we’re going to charge you for the performance and give you half of it”. That would be okay too?

Not everyone cuts rope and all abrasives affect steel differently. There is no one answer to that. What we do know, and even a few knife makers have chimed in, is that 55-58 is too low to have this particular steel hold an edge like it should as far as stability and wear resistance is concerned.

But in your test, how many ropecuts would have satisfied you?

When a product is made by a big manufacturer, many factors come in to play.
Higher HRC means greater risc of chipping. Blades chipping equals more warranty claims.
So they go for a product that will satisfy the masses and keep warranty claims down.

But in your test, how many ropecuts would have satisfied you?

When a product is made by a big manufacturer, many factors come in to play.
Higher HRC means greater risc of chipping. Blades chipping equals more warranty claims.
So they go for a product that will satisfy the masses and keep warranty claims down.

3v is not prone to chipping and that’s a general characteristic of tool/high carbon steels. They roll rather than chip. Also, if someone warranty’s a blade for a chip, I think that’s a little extreme. If they send it in for lifesharp to be sharpened (which is what needs to be done and not warranty work) that is free with purchase. So, that would not be a factor, even if 3v was prone to chipping. I’d also suggest that the person that would send a knife in for chips learns how to sharpen. Chips, rolls, and dulling are going to happen if you use a knife.

3v is not prone to chipping and that’s a general characteristic of tool/high carbon steels. They roll rather than chip. Also, if someone warranty’s a blade for a chip, I think that’s a little extreme. If they send it in for lifesharp to be sharpened (which is what needs to be done and not warranty work) that is free with purchase. So, that would not be a factor, even if 3v was prone to chipping. I’d also suggest that the person that would send a knife in for chips learns how to sharpen. Chips, rolls, and dulling are going to happen if you use a knife.

People will make warranty claims over the slightest faults. Believe me, I know.
Even self inflicted damage.
And it just wouldn't cut it for Benchmade, to deal with a warranty claim by saying; "you should learn how to sharpen your knjfe".

People will make warranty claims over the slightest faults. Believe me, I know.
Even self inflicted damage.
And it just wouldn't cut it for Benchmade, to deal with a warranty claim by saying; "you should learn how to sharpen your knjfe".
Lifesharp is included with purchase. It’s free and expected. 3v is also not prone to chipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back