Benchmade 3v

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alchemy1 Alchemy1 basically summed up my thoughts much more succinctly than I did, while I was typing my post. :D

I really enjoyed your post. Very eloquent and should be descriptive enough to explain my intent and scope. This is not a Benchmade thing. This is part of a very large conversation that has been growing and getting louder. These are the type of exchanges we need to be having. Bravo, sir.

You people are completely ridiculous attacking Alchemy1 Alchemy1
Think with your brains for once sheesh. I understand when it comes to knives the majority have their head in the dirt and just regurgitate bs but the dude has literally stated everything you need to know and you still come up with something else dumb to say.
"I don't like the information presented so I will attack the source" :rolleyes:

We have companies that are putting out m390 that performs less than there s30v. Heat treatment of s30v at 60hrc and m390 at 58hrc. In the large scope of the matter, hrc doesn't mean better performance. when the performance in tests by multiple people are repeatably showing less though,thats an issue. We're paying more and showing this brand of steel is more premium but without the actual performance that it's supposed to portray. Paying more for a steel model that has no or little benefits over the main steel of choice for that company. The value of these knives goes up due to the proposed performance even though the performance isn't performing over s30v.

It just doesn't make sense to make a pry bar for a plastic handle pocket knife with these specs. Buyers just see 3v and gotta have it.

Excellent point, well said :thumbsup:
Only marketing matters!

Stop please. Your point is made. No need to argue it further. He does not have to agree with you. You are not automatically correct, it's just your opinion. Same for him too. But the fact still remains that alot of people expect better than this. Don't belittle that.

And No, I'm not going to have this thread closed cause two folks are arguing on topic. No reason to.

I certainly does not expect him to agree with me, and my opinion is not a universal truth. Sadly.
On my part, I am just trying to shine a different light on the matter.

Oh, and I am not of the opinion, that this thread should be closed.
In fact, for the most part, this has been a very constructive discussion.

Given the shape of conversation to this point, it seems likely that the conclusion of the conversation is going to look like Benchmade not responding, and everyone going about their lives, armed with whatever they take away from this conversation.

Here are some things that I hope people take away.

1. Throwing dollars at steels “because super” is frequently a waste of money. If you’re interested in buying performance, do a bit of digging around when an announcement is made, before throwing money at it.

2. Understand that there are points of diminishing returns, and zero returns, when it comes to blade properties. For example, if you have zero corrosion with S30V, then buying M390 to get “better corrosion resistance”, is a zero benefit buy. While technically capable of greater resistance, it’s returning no improvement in this way as compared to a current state of zero corrosion. Toughness is not a property that makes sense to pursue to extreme levels in a folder, and 3V, properly heat treated, at 60hrc, is capable of delivering toughness into the range of zero return for the dollar. There is no end user benefit to running it low. In contrast, there is a big drop in edge holding performance.

3. When a conversation like this arises, a question to ask is, “is there value to be mined here?” In this case, the replies to the thread have left it clear that there are a lot of opportunities for people to learn and save money.

There is when companies are purposefully marketing items in a certain light and they do not live up to the claims. That’s the type of thing that class action suits are filed over. We, the knife community, are just too high and mighty to be objective about problems and we want to take up for the companies we love and the items we spent our money on. It’s human nature, but it really puts the consumer in a bad spot. Spending good money after bad.

Thank you. That is the chart that I have seen, but not directly linked to Benchmade. I appreciate that. In reading that, it even states that the steel will be “tough” while maintaining a “good” cutting edge. That’s their words and not mine. I think we can all agree that these knives have not shown us that they're “tough” AND maintain a “good” cutting edge, no? That comes right back to the heat treat being too low, no?

I am 100% with you that the companies take advantage of a hype/trent, in this case a very good and tough steel, but i don't think a class action suit would stand here. I am not a lawyer or otherwise familiar with law and its practice, but this seems as one of those situations with an asterisk at the end of a claim. With 3V you have the toughness granted so there's one..who's to say though what a 'good cutting edge' is, as they state on their chart? Good against which steel? Sharpened using which medium? At how many degrees? For what kind of use?...
Each side could make a strong case by presenting the data in a certain light.

I'm with you here, and my opinion is if you make something then do it right...and i don't mean marketing.

Imagine having no real experience and education in steel types, HRC etc. and you go for your first knife with a 'supersteel', and after checking the awesome google reviews on a specific steel you land on something like this...
'What the hell... i i've sharpened this more than my 8Cr already!'

I just noticed something on Benchmade's site. If you click on any of their knives, it shows what steel it is and the HRC range. I just checked on the knives they make in 3V (200,537,591,365), and none of them show a hardness range. I'll let you guys form your own opinion on that.

I currently have three CPM-3V Knives, to fixed blades and a folder (Spyderco Tuff), never had any problems with any of them chipping, I know at least 2 are 60 or higher (not sure what the Tuff is but I think it was suppose to be 59-60). Also what's interesting for those saying, that BM is running it soft so that they avoid chipping issues or to make it extra tough is, that at 60hrc CPM-3V is still has twice the ft/lbs (60 ft/lbs) in charpy tests compared to other steels BM uses. CPM-M4 @ 62hrc is 32ft/lbs, CPM-S30V @ 58Hrc is 28ft/lbs, D2 @ 60hrc is 20 ft/lbs and I haven't heard large scale chipping/weakness issues with those steels.

This is just a theory... But I can't help think BM did this on purpose and the reason is the handle. If the blade was too rigid it would make it easier for the soft flexy handle to snap when prying. But with the blade being softer it will absorb some of the flex over the entire length of the knife.
Again like many others said it's the wrong platform for 3v.

I'm not so sure, assuming it's the same material in as the Griptilian, I've seen that handle stood on and take quite a bit of flex without breaking.

This is just a theory... But I can't help think BM did this on purpose and the reason is the handle. If the blade was too rigid it would make it easier for the soft flexy handle to snap when prying. But with the blade being softer it will absorb some of the flex over the entire length of the knife.
Again like many others said it's the wrong platform for 3v.

I can’t speak to how much the blade could be bent with the blade extended, but there was a guy that tried to break his Bugout (I know it’s a slightly smaller knife and, in theory, would have less flex because of that) and he even ran it over with a diesel truck and it came out the end of the attempts to break it with just surface scratches. He dropped it from a second story window onto cement and all kinds of things.

Reactions: Mo2
I can’t speak to how much the blade could be bent with the blade extended, but there was a guy that tried to break his Bugout (I know it’s a slightly smaller knife and, in theory, would have less flex because of that) and he even ran it over with a diesel truck and it came out the end of the attempts to break it with just surface scratches. He dropped it from a second story window onto cement and all kinds of things.
I know personally when I went to go buy a bugout I found the handle way too flexy for my liking.
I'm probably wrong about this but I can't help but think the plastic will eventually start to age and get brittle, and cracked bugouts etc won't be all that uncommon in the future.

I know personally when I went to go buy a bugout I found the handle way too flexy for my liking.
I'm probably wrong about this but I can't help but think the plastic will eventually start to age and get brittle, and cracked bugouts etc won't be all that uncommon in the future.
Only time will tell in regards to that. From what I know and have seen, grivery is a proven material. No, if we’re talking fatigue introduced to the material from flexing, that’s a different variable. I’m not sure there is enough flex to cause that kind of fatigue, but again, only time will tell.

Only time will tell in regards to that. From what I know and have seen, grivery is a proven material. No, if we’re talking fatigue introduced to the material from flexing, that’s a different variable. I’m not sure there is enough flex to cause that kind of fatigue, but again, only time will tell.

I wouldn't bet on it. Neither of mine seemed to flex at all when I used them to CUT things. It's a knife, not a pry bar. I still don't understand the issue folks have with the Bugout handles.

This heat treat nonsense is far more egregious in my book than the fact that plastic can bend a bit. You expect plastic to flex. You don't expect to get a premium steel left softer than your grandpa's old timer.

Some recent quotes from @Nathan the Machinist on Delta3V ... which is the complete opposite of what benchmade has provided.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/3v-heat-treat-history.1656132/page-2#post-19009281
The average user can tell the difference between industry standard 3V and Delta 3V pretty easily, the difference in edge stability and therefore edge retention in normal use is significant.

The industry standard heat treat uses the secondary hardening hump and goes into temper immediately after an atmosphere quench to approximately room temperature. This heat treat was developed for tool and die where minimizing dimensional changes and reducing risk of cracking and distortion were critical and the sort of fine edge stability we need in a knife application aren't commonly seen. This industry standard heat treat stabilizes retained austenite, a lot of the martensite that is formed isn't formed in the primary quench but converts in temper, and you're increasing the carbide volume fraction while reducing cohesion in the softer (weaker) over tempered matrix, all of which leads to reduced edge stability and edge retention. Delta 3V is one of the low temper tweaks whose goal is to maximize the durability of the edge by minimizing mixed structures and maximizing the strength of the matrix. This not only improves edge stability in rough use, it allows the use of a narrower edge angle and may also support the primary carbides better leading to improved abrasion resistance. This addresses the primary shortcoming with 3V, which was a crumbly mushy edge that prevented the user from being able to fully capitalize on the alloy's inherent toughness because a knife made in 3V would otherwise go dull quickly in rough use. We fixed that and it's pretty obvious to even a casual user.

Less obvious is the difference between some of the better low temp tweaks and Delta 3V. To see this clearly you need better controls than just casual use. But with controlled edge geometry and cut media it is clear and repeatable.

There are a couple things that may be happening with those two well known smiths who tested forged vs stock removal. One could easily be bias, intentional or not, towards the outcome they wanted. To minimize this when I was first starting out with low temperature tweaks I would do blind controlled tests where I didn't know which was which until after the test. The other thing that could be happening in their evaluation is they may have seen a difference and misunderstood the meaning of it. This could be uncontrolled variables coming up such as unintentional differences in heat treat, a burned edge during sharpening, differences in the cut media they used, weaknesses in the criteria they used to evaluate the sharpness or durability of the test pieces or even differences in the materials being cut. But I think the most likely reason may be the forged blade legitimately out performed the stock removal blade. Not because it was hit with a hammer, but because of the multiple heats it was subjected to during the forging process that the stock removal blade didn't get. The forged blade would have gone into the heat treat as a fine homogenous pearlite while the stock removal blade may have been in a coarse sphereoidized condition (as it comes from the mill). Had the stock removal blade gone through the same thermal cycles as the forged blade it may have been a different story. If those two smiths saw two identical blades in the same steel at the same hardness perform differently I believe them because I've seen the same thing myself. And if they misunderstood the underlying reason (forging rather than thermal cycles) they would only be human, and I can relate.

My methodology that we used when developing the Delta protocol was a skill set I developed working in product design and development where we would optimize a product's characteristics and manufacturing processes through an iterative process similar to what you experience when you go to the optometrist for an eyeglasses prescription. You develop a matrix of variables and a testing procedure to evaluate the effect of changes to those variables and compare work while also attempting to track relationships between the variables because of complex if/then interactions. Much like natural evolution you dial in an optimized process. You can have working theories about why something works, but an important distinction between science and engineering is the emphasis on optimizing an outcome more than necessarily understanding the underlying reasons. So, while we don't have an SEM in the shop, we do have the ability to control variables and measure outcomes. I can say with complete confidence that the difference between industry standard and well optimized low temper tweaks like the Delta protocol is very significant and difference between Delta and the low temp tweak that immediately preceded it is meaningful.

A casual user can see this. If they are a real user. Obviously the difference isn't noticeable to a collector who only occasionally cuts a piece of paper or string. I'm a pretty bad abuser of knives. Yesterday I used my knife to deburr a thread in a steel part I'd just cut. I used a piece of steel as a cutting board to cleanly cut some o-ring cord stock for a gasket I was making. I shaved steel fines out of an aluminum fixture. I do all of these abusive things with a knife with a narrow edge angle and I like my knife to be sharp so I can still cut the cap off my cigar without messing it up. The difference in edge stability between an optimized heat treat and a average heat treat can be a HUGE difference in sharpness at the end of the day. So if you're a guy who might clink his knife against a beer bottle when opening a case of beer, or bump a steel staple when opening a box, or cut wire and deburr hard objects you will notice the difference. If you only cut the occasional loose string you probably won't, but it's still nice to know that you can.

A Carothers Performance Knife in Delta 3V will be sharper than another industry standard 3V knife at the end of rigorous use such as weekend hiking trip or a week of use with a tradesman etc. And the thinner edge geometry cuts better too. Ask anyone who uses them.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/3v-heat-treat-history.1656132/page-2#post-19009901
A scanning electron microscope is able to see eta carbide and able to detect the strain around them in Delta 3V. It looks like little dark concentric waves around them. A key to the Delta protocal was finding the right material condition and austenitizing parameters to straddle the line between plate and lath martensite while hitting an appropriate hardness without needing a temper that negated those eta carbides. We worked into the right conditions to form them in a way that was beneficial to edge stability without reducing gross toughness.

Contrary to popular belief they are not formed in cryo, there isn't much carbon diffusion at cryogenic temperatures, they are formed in temper, but specific cryogenic processes sets up the matrix to form them. We theorize it encourages nanoscopic rearrangement of individual atoms due to physical contraction at those temperatures which leaves a tiny gap which can attract carbon. This carbon grows into a nanoscopic cementite during temper which creates a tiny dislocation that (we theorize) acts like little bumps that pin sounding structures increasing strength at a tiny scale without effecting larger structures which might reduce ductility and resistance to crack propagation. It's the working theory. The end result being improved edge stability without the reduction in toughness normally associated with it. And this is the reason why it's important to watch your grinding temperatures when sharpening it, relaxing the matrix with an excessive temper negates these eta carbides. They're still present, but the reduction in strain around them eliminates their primary function. Or, that's my theory to explain what I've seen. *shrug*

Part of this was found when checking assumptions mentioned in that matrix of variables I talked about earlier. One variable we looked at we did not expected to be significant, but under the correct conditions something that I used to do and most makers do ended up being wrong for 3V. That's one of the wonderful things about applied R&D, you always find something you didn't expect (and sometimes can't explain) and that is exactly what happened.

The reply from @Benchmade. You can read my thoughts and all the comments in context over on my IG. https://www.instagram.com/p/BxiU02fgMET/

View attachment 1129442

Maybe they should update the website?
https://www.benchmade.com/537-bailoutr.html

ABOUT THE PRODUCT
Looking to fly under the radar? The slim and ultralight design of the Bailout® offers users an optimal strength-to-weight ratio. Black Grivory handles, a tanto CPM-3V blade, and aluminum pommel complete a package that cuts weight while maintaining durability. The Bailout®: Two ounces of confidence to your kit.

BLADE LENGTH 3.38in [8.59cm]
BLADE THICKNESS 0.090in [2.29mm]
OPEN 8.07in [20.50cm]
CLOSED 4.71in [11.96cm]
WEIGHT 2.05oz [58.4g]
HANDLE THICKNESS 0.41in [10.40mm]

FEATURES
Clip Type Mini Deep-Carry
Clip Position Tip-Up
Glass Breaker No
Lanyard Hole No
MOLLE Compatible No