Benchmade 484 Nakamura

I really like mine after I shaved some thickness from the scales and removed a couple of choils.
I'll be doing some type of thumb-stud mod next.
E66E3852-4B12-4C96-9549-C73C05E724DC.jpeg

Looks like you did a fair amount of work there. I'm curious if you skeletonized the liners while you were at it- me, along with others, feel like BM missed the boat on that one- the knife is kind of handle heavy.

Good job.

[QUOTE="bobobama, post:
I'm curious if you skeletonized the liners while you were at it...BM missed the boat on that one- the knife is kind of handle heavy.
[/QUOTE]
No, I haven’t done that, yet. The weight I removed by shaving the liners & scales made it just about right for me now. I’m with ya, though - I love me some lightening holes.

If I could combine the shape of the handle, the milled liners, the deep carry pocket clip, length of the blade/handle of the 698 Foray with the blade shape/grind/thumb ramp of the 484 Nakamura (in M390 or CPM 20CV), that would be darn near perfection for me.

Regardless, the 484 is an awesome knife, as is the 698. Two of my favorites for sure.

I own both models and can only offer my personal thoughts:

- I'm the outlier as the thumb studs have never caused me any issue when carrying
- While I do like the CF model, it feels like an after-thought. The weight of the G10 knife just feels better to me, and the slightly sharper edges just feel better to my hand.
- Most importantly, there is one detail that I think really distinguishes the knives (again, to me personally), and the exact same issue exists with the Green 940 vs. the G10 and CF 940 models. The CF scales are thicker, and so the Axis lock thumb studs do not stick out as far, making it harder for me to use. In other words, I get a better grip on the Axis thumbstuds on the G10 vs the CF. The same is true on the green 940 - I prefer the look of the black g10 so I wish this weren't the case on the 940.
- Also, the G10 Nakamura has a different feeling and sounding action, and I knew this from video reviews prior to buying, so it's not just my setup. I prefer the feel and sound of the G10 model for sure. If they were the same price I'd take the G10 every time.

All of that aside, I have a particular love for the Nakamura. IMHO it's a very under-rated elegant knife that has a beautiful Japanese design. One of my favorites!

Eljay

I really like mine after I shaved some thickness from the scales and removed a couple of choils.
I'll be doing some type of thumb-stud mod next.
E66E3852-4B12-4C96-9549-C73C05E724DC.jpeg
That looks great! I put the studs in my drill chuck one at a time and spun them against sand paper until they were a more acceptable length. Old photo:

28621410614_dc04d6bee3_h.jpg

Back