Benchmade 485 Valet M390 - opinions?

I've been kinda-sorta looking at this knife for a while. I've read reviews that say it's close to a great knife, but . . . I've seen remarks that it has blade play.
So does anybody have experience with this knife? I'm more concerned about build quality and fit here. Blade play and wiggle are no's for me. I'm reading that Benchmade has improved things, but did that touch this model?

Disclaimer!: I have never seen a Valet in person let alone held one.

However, I have thought about getting one but held off because of the several "quirks and features" it sometimes exhibits. It looks nice and would fit the category as a gents knife, but what about the 555-1?

The 555-1 (or 556-1) mini grip has the same grey g10 but the normal sized axis bar and thumb studs as well as the same steel (20cv/m390). It also has a better lack of blade play because of the larger pivot plus the blue accents look cooler to boot. Not to mention it looks family friendlier, with the sheepsfoot blade and is a few bucks cheaper.

Next time I'm in Ottawa, I'm going to drop by my usual knife store and compare the two. I honestly think the mini grip would be a better solution.

I've always thought the Valet was a cool knife. But when I got to handle one, I thought it was noticeably small. The thumb stud and the axis lock bar are smaller than I expected. If smaller is what you want, it'd be great. But try before you buy. If I was buying one, and I still might, I'd look for the Filson/Shinola version with the wood scales.

Asking if a given model has or does not have blade play is not really going to help you out, as it will depend on how the particular knife you obtain was assembled and how the tolerances stack up on that particular knife. As with most Benchmade Axis lock knives, you'll be able to tune yours to have no side to side play, but whether or not it is still free swinging and enjoyable for you to use at that point will depend entirely on how the knife was built. I would recommend either handling one before you buy it, or purchasing from a reputable dealer online which will honor special requests (mine is always something like, "Please ensure the blade is centered, has no vertical or horizontal play, and has an even grind and edge."). Ask them to check for one that is how you want it.

I had one for a VERY short time. Nothing against the quality, and mine had no QC issues, but I agree with number9 above, it was just too small for me. I don’t have honkin’ big hands (I wear a “large” size glove), but I had some difficulty getting at and using the thumb studs due to its compactness and short closed length.

I didn't like the ergos. I preferred my old sequel 707 better although I don't have either knife anymore. If I had the sequel now if probably keep it. Can't say the same for the valet.

It looks bigger than it is in person. I thought it was too small. QC with Benchmade
caused me to try in person to see how the particular knife stacked up. I know
that the 940 has a cult following but every one I tried at REI had poor centering,
uneven grinds on swedges, blade play, etc. Every one failed badly. I bought a 531 REI
exclusive and it was the only one out of nearly a dozen I tried that was good.

To be fair, both of my Infidels were perfect out of the box save for the silly pin
that attaches the button to the action(easily corrected) and both of my 710-1401
from Knifeworks were epic. Others buying the same model did not fare as well.
So, it depends. If I were you I would go to a retailer and try...first to see if you
like it...and then to get a good example if you do. I am a huge fan of the AXIS lock
but I eventually gave up Benchmade because of QC and having to reprofile new
blades. And the premium price charged as well. The ones I have are good examples
but the first Para 2 I bought was so much more bang for the buck and had stellar
QC to boot.

A current Spyderco offering the Kapara is about 188. I swear, it feels and operates
like a 500+ dollar knife. It is incredible how sweet it feels and cuts. No Benchmade
I have will cut like my Spyderco knives do. As a result...I mostly rock Spyderco and
ZT knives. I carry the Infidel occasionally because OTF autos rock hard.
FWIW and your mileage may vary.

Thanks guys, looks like I'm spending my knife money elsewhere.
I just had a bit of sale-fever.

Back