1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Benchmade 490 Arcane in S90V?

Discussion in 'Benchmade Knife Company' started by Tommy-Chi, Aug 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Tommy-Chi

Tommy-Chi

May 25, 2017
    What can you tell me about the Benchmade 490 Arcane AXIS Assisted Flipper 3.2" S90V Satin Plain Blade, Black Aluminum Handles?

Do you like it? Love it? Hate it?

Are you primarily a collector or user of this knife?

2. vwb563

vwb563 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2007
    I love mine. Holds a FANTASTIC edge. The handles are a little slippery though. I use mine when dressing up.

Tommy-Chi likes this.
  3. Benchmade

Benchmade BMK Jimmy - Design Engineer Moderator

Jan 25, 2013
    The 490 is a great EDC if you like the axis assist mechanism. The flipper is very minimal in size and works great. The S90V and high grind make it a great slicer with great edge retention.

vwb563 and Tommy-Chi like this.
  4. Scott321

Scott321

Jul 20, 2016
    I like just about everything except the slick finish on the handles. I usually don't complain about handles without traction, but it's noticable. I put tape on the handles to give it more grip. For reference, I am fine with the 940's finish.

I'm also not a fan of pinky bumps, but not enough to be a deal breaker.

5. Daniel

Daniel Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1998
    I have the Amicus. Don't have the Arcane.

The handle is a little slippery-especially if you have sweaty hands. Other than that, it is a really nice knife and is a joy to use.

6. mrfields

mrfields

Jun 30, 2017
    I’ve had one for about a year now & i love it. Like others have said, the finish on the handle is a bit slick, but the shape seems to lock it in pretty well for me. Is a very comfortable grip, at least for me. As always, ymmv.
    The flipper action with the axis assist is very smooth, and it doesn’t kick anywhere near as hard as a 477 or 580.
    All that being said, it’s not a hard use folder, I use it mostly at work for opening boxes & such. If I need something more heavy duty i grab either my 810 or 9555

7. jill jackson

jill jackson

Sep 5, 2006
    I bought this one at a great price. No faults, perfect centering, no blade play, lock works smooth.
    [​IMG]

Daniel and Chariotz4 like this.
  8. expidia1

expidia1 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2018
    Its a great assisted opening knife! Perfect Gentleman's carry. I sold two of them though as the black slick scales "chip very easily showing white spots". I had to touch up the white chips frequently and I handle all my knives very gently. Its a shame for a knife that has a $260 MSRP.
    The Amicus is the old name. Same knife, but BM changed the name to Arcane due to some infringement of the name Amicus.

I held onto my assisted opening BM Emissary. Its scales don't chip and are textured like the green 940 for a non slip grip over the slick and slippery aluminum Arcane scales. Just a bad design of the scales IMO.

Also look at the 940-1 in CF or the 940-2 in G10. They are both better carries than the slick and chippy Arcane model.

9. fishface5

fishface5 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Begs for aftermarket scales! Snakewood would be sweet

expidia1 likes this.