Benchmade 490 Arcane in S90V?

What can you tell me about the Benchmade 490 Arcane AXIS Assisted Flipper 3.2" S90V Satin Plain Blade, Black Aluminum Handles?

Do you like it? Love it? Hate it?

Are you primarily a collector or user of this knife?

I love mine. Holds a FANTASTIC edge. The handles are a little slippery though. I use mine when dressing up.

The 490 is a great EDC if you like the axis assist mechanism. The flipper is very minimal in size and works great. The S90V and high grind make it a great slicer with great edge retention.

I like just about everything except the slick finish on the handles. I usually don't complain about handles without traction, but it's noticable. I put tape on the handles to give it more grip. For reference, I am fine with the 940's finish.

I'm also not a fan of pinky bumps, but not enough to be a deal breaker.

I have the Amicus. Don't have the Arcane.

The handle is a little slippery-especially if you have sweaty hands. Other than that, it is a really nice knife and is a joy to use.

I’ve had one for about a year now & i love it. Like others have said, the finish on the handle is a bit slick, but the shape seems to lock it in pretty well for me. Is a very comfortable grip, at least for me. As always, ymmv.
The flipper action with the axis assist is very smooth, and it doesn’t kick anywhere near as hard as a 477 or 580.
All that being said, it’s not a hard use folder, I use it mostly at work for opening boxes & such. If I need something more heavy duty i grab either my 810 or 9555

I bought this one at a great price. No faults, perfect centering, no blade play, lock works smooth.
1e0zl3.jpg

Its a great assisted opening knife! Perfect Gentleman's carry. I sold two of them though as the black slick scales "chip very easily showing white spots". I had to touch up the white chips frequently and I handle all my knives very gently. Its a shame for a knife that has a $260 MSRP.
The Amicus is the old name. Same knife, but BM changed the name to Arcane due to some infringement of the name Amicus.

I held onto my assisted opening BM Emissary. Its scales don't chip and are textured like the green 940 for a non slip grip over the slick and slippery aluminum Arcane scales. Just a bad design of the scales IMO.

Also look at the 940-1 in CF or the 940-2 in G10. They are both better carries than the slick and chippy Arcane model.

Picked one up a couple of weeks ago. Its been in my pocket ever since then. The action was a little tight when I first opened it. I dialed it in and lubed it, now it snaps open with authority. That raised another problem, the slippery handle. I ordered some guntape, and cut a couple of small pieces (think pinky fingerprint size), and applied them where your thumb and middle finger go when flipping open. It works perfectly IMO. The end of the handle doesn't try to come away from my palm at all anymore when the blade snaps open. Its doesn't drag when pulling it out of the pocket, and added just enough traction to make it feel secure in the hand. I only hope that it will stay where I put it. The reviews are positive though, lots of people with the stuff on their guns and it hasn't moved. I wish I could upload a photo. I do love the knife, very slicy, comfortable in the pocket and hand, not too heavy, and it has a machine like "shhick" sound when opened. It works great for all light to medium duty cutting. I wouldn't use it on anything too hard for fear of chipping the s90v on a very thin edge. I know this is an old post, but that's my two cents.

Back