Benchmade 535 Bugout Video Review.

I'm a lurker here more than a poster... don't know if my style fits well- but here is my review of the new Bugout from Benchmade. I beat it up, make jokes, and more- and beware a few NSFW words. I got this Friday and worked on the review this weekend. Thanks for checking it out.

I thoroughly enjoyed this review / video. It was entertaining, yet informative.

Full on getting one of these, and will likely get any exclusives or variations that come out as well.

Great review! The humour is refreshing!

Thanks man. Some people don't like it- but a few people do too.

Totally agree with Angus! I think I'm sold on the Bugout!

It takes a beating for a "plastic" knife. Thanks!

I thoroughly enjoyed this review / video. It was entertaining, yet informative.

Full on getting one of these, and will likely get any exclusives or variations that come out as well.

Maybe they'll throw a G10 out there one day?

I really liked this review. I almost never watch online knife reviews anymore, and never all the way through, but yours kept me interested the whole time.

I haven't bought a Benchmade in probably 13 years, and had no intention to, but the 535 is a 'possibility' for me.

Does the pocket clip/handle contact point feel rough enough to shred pockets? Just curious. If so, the 535 would probably still be fine carried down in-pocket like a traditional pocket knife.

Jim

I really liked this review. I almost never watch online knife reviews anymore, and never all the way through, but yours kept me interested the whole time.

I haven't bought a Benchmade in probably 13 years, and had no intention to, but the 535 is a 'possibility' for me.

Does the pocket clip/handle contact point feel rough enough to shred pockets? Just curious. If so, the 535 would probably still be fine carried down in-pocket like a traditional pocket knife.

Jim

I would say yes... that kind of texture would definitely fray finer material over time. I wear a suit and carry my knives in the internal pocket- which is looser than a pants pocket- so clips without give are the culprit for frayed tops of pockets. The pocket clip has give to it, but that point of contact has the machined texture with also that lightly sandy grivory-ish feel. Thanks man! I spend a lot of time editing, shooting, and writing these. Pacing, humor, and keeping the reviews as concise as possible- all figure into each review.

Based on your review, I strolled into my favorite Brick and Mortar Benchmade retailer in Sweet Home, Oregon.

I emerged with number 784 of 1000, and also received neither additional prize nor indicator of my exclusivity.

Your review didn't miss anything. I would only add that during my initial week of carry, I had to reach down and make sure it was still in my pocket, as it carries like it isn't really there. It's thin and light enough that if you wanted to carry it in slacks, you could drop it unobtrusively into the bottom of your pocket. I did so in a pair of shorts, and didn't have a problem. If I'd had any money left, I'd have tried it out as a money clip... but I pretty much burned all the pocket cash I had. Were I to carry it as a gents folder, I would remove the clip.

Feel free to call Benchmade and tell them you sold one of these for them. I'll vouch for your salesmanship.

great review, tons of good info and entertaining and mercifully free of fluff or extraneous jawboning

Based on your review, I strolled into my favorite Brick and Mortar Benchmade retailer in Sweet Home, Oregon.

I emerged with number 784 of 1000, and also received neither additional prize nor indicator of my exclusivity.

Your review didn't miss anything. I would only add that during my initial week of carry, I had to reach down and make sure it was still in my pocket, as it carries like it isn't really there. It's thin and light enough that if you wanted to carry it in slacks, you could drop it unobtrusively into the bottom of your pocket. I did so in a pair of shorts, and didn't have a problem. If I'd had any money left, I'd have tried it out as a money clip... but I pretty much burned all the pocket cash I had. Were I to carry it as a gents folder, I would remove the clip.

Feel free to call Benchmade and tell them you sold one of these for them. I'll vouch for your salesmanship.

Believe it or not... they sent me a Mini Grip because I asked for one in the review. I guess they liked it- even though I sort of poked fun at them throughout. Yes, it literally disappears in the pocket. Based upon now having a grip, a mini grip, and a bugout- the Bugout is the most functional and easily carried of the three. Good sized handle, good sized blade and light. I have no concerns about the durability of grivory. I mean yet... but I beat it up pretty good. Thanks dude!

great review, tons of good info and entertaining and mercifully free of fluff or extraneous jawboning

I intentionally avoid repeating myself, and keeping the fluff to a minimum. I try to cover what most people buying it would want to know. While I don't specifically say the words "Pros" and "Cons" in the review- I like to think of them as observations you can either take or leave as a viewer- and make up your mind the rest of the way. But basically I like knives, and making videos. Thanks!

Nice review! Seemed genuine not like you were selling something. VERY IMPRESSED WITH THE WAY THIS KNIFE HELD UP . Surprising for a light weight knife.

Great review! The main reason I now own one. Love this knife! (A fellow lurker)

Last edited:
Back