Benchmade 550-1 washer issue

rambo4hire

Gold Member
So I got my dividend from REI and ordered a 550-1 online using my dividend. When I got it the other day in the mail I noticed it was tough to open and close. Not like Axis locks on my other knives work. I looked closer and noticed it only has one washer!

Is that true with this model? Or did I get one made at 5:00PM on a Friday?

Attachments

• 9A58F5F4-02E2-48DB-96C0-062E266511FB.jpeg
    9A58F5F4-02E2-48DB-96C0-062E266511FB.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 477D9E1B-5995-4FC3-9101-8C32F1D5948F.jpeg
    477D9E1B-5995-4FC3-9101-8C32F1D5948F.jpeg
    58.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 31179C0E-93B1-4E91-A750-2F2ECA563084.jpeg
    31179C0E-93B1-4E91-A750-2F2ECA563084.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 51
Supposed to have two. Too bad knives aren't like collectable Matchbox cars or stamps when mistakes make the object more valuable.

That is such a true statement:) looks like it will be making a trip back to get an extra washer.

That is such a true statement:) looks like it will be making a trip back to get an extra washer.

I'd hand it right back to REI and exchange it for a new one.

What's sad is someone at the Benchmade Benchmade factory opened and closed this knife, thought "yeah, that's fine" then boxed it up and sent it out :thumbsdown:

Sorry to see this. Yep send it back or exchange.

If it came from a dealer and not from the factory store, it's very possible that someone bought it, took the washer out as a replacement for their knife, and then returned the knife to REI. It would most likely have gotten a quick eyeballin' to make sure it was actually a knife in the box, and then right back into inventory to be sold again.

Been known to happen...

Do all dealers sell returned knives as they are or is it just some of them?

If it came from a dealer and not from the factory store, it's very possible that someone bought it, took the washer out as a replacement for their knife, and then returned the knife to REI. It would most likely have gotten a quick eyeballin' to make sure it was actually a knife in the box, and then right back into inventory to be sold again.

Been known to happen...

ESPECIALLY from REI. I've known people to "rent" gear from them (I have not done this) by buying, say, a backpack. They take it and use it for one trip, and then take it back to REI with some story about it not fitting right, or they didn't like the way it was set up, or some such. REI has very accommodating to people asking for refunds.

Usually something with obvious wear will get put in the used section of their major stores,where you can get steals of deals on barely used equipment. But something that shows no wear, like a knife, being returned in the box, would likely just get put back on the shelf with barely a cursory inspection.

Do all dealers sell returned knives as they are or is it just some of them?

REI, if you are unfamiliar, is an outdoor store "cooperative." Not a knife dealer, per se. If you already knew that, sorry. I misunderstood your question.

Back