Benchmade 560 (Freek) Any thoughts?

Held one recently.

It reminded me a lot of the Griptilian, but it was slightly more visually appealing. I never liked the two toned handles but I do like the overall shape of the blade/handles better. Didn't cut with it so this is speaking just in terms of looks and initial handling.

IMO there are too many Benchmade knives in that general segment, they are all so similar. There are only subtle differences between them so you can't really go wrong.

I got one last week and am very impressed so far, I also paid under $100 which for the brand and materials is a very fair price I feel. The handle material in particular is a major improvement.

Screenshot_2017_02_14_19_57_02.png

probably not. just saw this on a yt review.

[video]https://youtu.be/GCBif2BEpss[/video]
https://youtu.be/GCBif2BEpss

I really don't like it after watching that. good blade shape, should be a better slicer. grip looks comfortable in hand. but. I'm not going to suggest under built but not hard use.

Same for me

I am disappointed with it, I wanted to love it so bad because of blade steel/shape. I found out however that the nestled stainless steel lines barely reach halfway inside the handles, only about 1.5 or 1.75 inches from the pivot. This doesn't mean its not a strong knife by any means, but for over $100 that is not the sort of strength/liners I am expecting from Becnhmade. It undoubtedly would be more than capable of anything I threw at it, but I am just disappointed with the small liners. If it had full length liners I would buy one in a heartbeat, but as it is I will probably buy the new 570 Presidio 2 instead.

I like it. Carries nice. Grippy. Love the blade shape, steel choice and grinds. Love the locking mechanism. I am looking forward to some aftermarket/custom scales, but would not be brokenhearted if they never materialized. The plastic in the center is odd and feels odd but I think it allows the clip to be used easier than the rubberized parts alone would .

A little late to the party! My only question,are the handles as thick in hand, as the griptilian?
I'm hoping its a thinner profile in hand and pocket.

It's even thicker feeling than the Grip, also the black rubber material sticks horribly inside pockets and often pulls them inside out. I tried it for about a week but after 4 or so days said enough and sold mine...swing and miss big time on this one.

It's even thicker feeling than the Grip, also the black rubber material sticks horribly inside pockets and often pulls them inside out. I tried it for about a week but after 4 or so days said enough and sold mine...swing and miss big time on this one.

Thanks for the info John! Man, I was thinking that the handle was narrower/flatter than the Griptillian. The good part is, I will save a few bucks buying something that I'd be disappointed in. That's one of the many reasons I prefer most Spydercos,usually a narrow flat handle. Really very pocket friendly.

Thanks for the info John! Man, I was thinking that the handle was narrower/flatter than the Griptillian. The good part is, I will save a few bucks buying something that I'd be disappointed in. That's one of the many reasons I prefer most Spydercos,usually a narrow flat handle. Really very pocket friendly.

No problem, the butt end does taper down but the main handle is still very thick. I highly recommend the Manix family at a similar price point.

The ole Manix is a very good choice,sits nice and flat in the pocket. 👍

The ole Manix is a very good choice,sits nice and flat in the pocket. 👍
Funny, I traded a Manix for mine. I love it. Very surprised to say its my favorite Benchmade yet.

I agree with the statement above that the rubber is extremely tacky. Haven't had any pocket trouble, though it does make it a bit harder to get in and out. Not something that really bothers me.

The ergos are almost perfect, they'll be perfect when I get a different clip in from Benchmade. The phallic one they send with it hits my hand in a weird spot. Easily remedied though.

The action is perfect. I love an axis lock with a heavier blade.

I didn't initially have any interest in this knife, but I'm really glad I picked one up. Now we just need a mini.

20170426_174141_zpspdur8fsz.jpg

That partial tang is disturbing. Outside of blade length, it seems like a step back from the Ritter. Where is the good stuff, Benchmade?

After getting a Ritter Grip, I really love that blade shape. At first I didn't like the idea of shorter steel liners. However, the actual screws that hold the liner into the scales run further back on the Freek than on the Grip. There is just a post further back on the Griptilian liner, but it doesn't' interact with the scales. I would think that the new placement of the Freek's liner screws might strengthen the liner-to-scale structural integrity. I guess we'll have a better idea after a few people purchase and play around with the knife.

In regards to the grivory/rubbery handle, I have a Boost which I think is the first "pocket knife" I feel like is a real work knife. I am really impressed with the Boost, and will probably get a second to de-assist.

Great looking design and I love the blade shape. I am sure it is just as tough as the grip and the grip is damn near indestructable. However, that handle is ugly.

That partial tang is disturbing. Outside of blade length, it seems like a step back from the Ritter. Where is the good stuff, Benchmade?

I don't really see how longer liners would make any difference. Other than making it weigh more.

In a fixed blade a full tang increases strength, though I still don't think it's necessary. On a folder though, the blade pivots. So just about all of the force applied to the blade is transmitted into the stop pin and the pivot itself. Both of which are nestled into the rather beefy, but short steel liners.

I'm glad they kept them short personally. I wouldn't like the knife if it were 5+ ounces.

Great looking design and I love the blade shape. I am sure it is just as tough as the grip and the grip is damn near indestructable. However, that handle is ugly.
Well, get crafty and make me some new ones. :p

I would but.... just take a black permanent marker to the light gray part. Ohhh. Rit dye!

Back