Benchmade 560 (Freek)

I saw this coming from Shot Show 2017 and was instantly intrigued. It has S30V steel and just about the same price as Griptilian?! It also has a nicer looking handle, I cannot speak to the feel because I have not held it but it seems super nice. Any thoughts?:)

I've seen this comment other places and I tend to agree. Kinds looks like a Ritter Grip knock off. I'm not a huge fan of decorative or overly elaborate handles. I guess, like you, I'll need to see what it feel like in hand.

I know that I'm going to be pre ordering it. I can't pass that up and I think it will sell fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blade length kills it for me. Wish Benchmade would offer more knives in 3.25" blade length.

My biggest worry about these new BMs is the new handle material. I've had plenty of products with similar rubberized finishes and they always wear out within a few years. Maybe BM has figured out how to do it better, but I'm skeptical, plus I just think it looks and feels cheap.

+1 im also interested in the Freak(opps) as well, the handle looks to be more ergonomic. It's funny how Benchmade's pricing works. It doesn't make sense how it has the same price(value) as the Griptilian, so they are telling use that they either underpriced the 560 or that the Griptilian is overpriced.
I wouldn't worry about the grip wearing out, as you can just send it back to Benchmade warranty and im sure they will fix it.

My only reservation is that the technical spec says that the Freek has an even thicker handle(0.65") than the Griptilian(0.64") which i think is not very comfortable to edc.

To put it in perspective, here is the thickness comparison between a 551-1 G10 Griptilian vs Cold Steel Broken Skull:

12950306_578501918982903_521331533_n.jpg

Another comparison of Broken Skull vs Para 2. The Para 2 is still thinner than the Griptilian.

12940159_213705735673392_1493515459_n.jpg

My only reservation is that the technical spec says that the Freek has an even thicker handle(0.65") than the Griptilian(0.64") which i think is not very comfortable to edc.

Good.

Good good good good good.

I am so tired of decent knives ruined by handles sized for infants. The Griptilian is one of my favorites for comfort. This trend towards skinny, flat handles with corners almost as sharp as a cutting edge has to reverse sometime. Far as I'm concerned the only use for skinny handles is if you wear skinny jeans.

I'm looking forward to the 560. Of course I won't know my final thoughts until I've had it in my hands.

To put it in perspective, here is the thickness comparison between a 551-1 G10 Griptilian vs Cold Steel Broken Skull:

LOL.. Are you serious? .65" vs .64"... OMG.. too much wider then griptillian, cannot edc.. What?

LOL.. Are you serious? .65" vs .64"... OMG.. too much wider then griptillian, cannot edc.. What?

Learn to read, i did not say that this is so much wider than a griptilian therefore making it hard to carry. Not every thread has to turn into this kind of infantile arguments.

Maybe it's just me, but I'll take "too fat" over "too wide" in a pocket knife any day.
For example: Sure the Para2 is thinner than a Grip. However, When in pocket I have no issues getting either my hand or wallet in & out with the Grip. Unlike the para2 where I always had to navigate around it.
If a Grip is causing you discomfort while in pocket, you probably need to accept the fact that you may have put a few pounds on , and need a size up in pants. OR just stop wearing the skinny jeans.;)

Maybe it's just me, but I'll take "too fat" over "too wide" in a pocket knife any day.
For example: Sure the Para2 is thinner than a Grip. However, When in pocket I have no issues getting either my hand or wallet in & out with the Grip. Unlike the para2 where I always had to navigate around it.
If a Grip is causing you discomfort while in pocket, you probably need to accept the fact that you may have put a few pounds on , and need a size up in pants. OR just stop wearing the skinny jeans.;)

Well I guess i carry knives differently from most other people. I almost always carry unclipped in my right back pocket so the thickness is a big factor for me but not the width. I don't care if the knife is 3" wide, as long as it's thin it's just like carrying a wallet. Thicker handles or the one that has more abrupt contouring would give me good amount of "butt hurt".
Like i said, it's just my preference so no point arguing over it.

Oh don't worry, as an asian im more genetically predisposed to being able to wear same sized pants all my life. I don't wear skinny jeans and have sissy hands if that's what you are implying :cool:

The knife looks nice, however Benchmade needs to pull their head out of their ass and get away from plastic and rubber handles. It just plain cheapens a knife, and with as cheap as good G10 is it's just not necessary for them not to use it.

My guess is it will be similar to a mora eldris handle...I have an eldris and I love the handle on it

Back