Benchmade 940-1 Full Review and Testing - S90V and CF

Ankerson

Knife and Computer Geek
Received the 940-1 for testing so I put it through my full battery as in rope cutting, cardboard cutting and wood cutting. The 940-1 is a light weight knife at 2.4 oz so it’s more of a lighter use knife, think dress knife that can do some real work.

Specs:

Weight: 2.4 oz
Blade Length: 3.4”
OAL: 7.87”
Blade Thickness: .115”
Thickness behind the edge as tested: .018”
Handle Material: Carbon Fiber
Steel: CPM S90V @ 59-61 RC
Edge Geometry: 15 Degrees Per Side
Edge Finish: 400 Grit SIC

Here are some out of box photos

DSC_4758.JPG

DSC_4762.JPG

DSC_4780.JPG

DSC_4776.JPG

DSC_4774.JPG

DSC_4784.JPG

DSC_4768.JPG

DSC_47651.JPG

DSC_4761.JPG

DSC_47591.JPG

1st up is the Rope cutting on 5/8” Manila rope, the knife made 600 slicing cuts until 20 pounds of down force was reached. It would still slice printer paper after the cutting, the knife was sharpened after this stage and before the cardboard.

DSC_47951.JPG

DSC_4796.JPG

2nd was the Cardboard cutting, the knife cut 3,000 linear ft of cardboard and would still slice printer paper easy. The knife was sharpened before this stage.

DSC_4798.JPG

DSC_4799.JPG

DSC_4800.JPG

DSC_4815.JPG

DSC_4816.JPG

DSC_4818.JPG

DSC_4817.JPG

Last was the Wood Cutting, since it’s more of a light duty knife I really didn’t push it all that hard. I made some nice cuts on the wood as you can see to show that it can do some real work. It did excellent for a 2.4 oz knife as the photos clearly show.

DSC_4806.JPG

DSC_4809.JPG

DSC_4810.JPG

DSC_4807.JPG

DSC_4808.JPG

Final thoughts:

The BM 940-1 is an excellent knife for light to medium duty, fit and finish is outstanding as are the material choices. CPM S90V will hold an edge for a very long time under normal use or harder use like what I did in the testing.

Last edited:
Nice review, thanks Jim. Do you think BM is improving their HT to be more competitive? Per this test and the M390 Contego, it seems they are doing some improved HTs now.

Nice review, thanks Jim. Do you think BM is improving their HT to be more competitive? Per this test and the M390 Contego, it seems they are doing some improved HTs now.

I think so, seems like they have really stepped up to the plate. :)

Great review Jim! How does the 940-1's edge geometry in terms of slicing compare to the PM2, in your opinion?

Thanks Jim for the testing and review.The 940-1 is my favorite ultralight knife.With S90V and milled carbon fiber plus being light as a feather equals a mighty fine summertime knife.This knife sure did make a lot of cuts in your test.Do you go with just the 400 grit finish or do you strop after the stones?
Best,
salmonkiller

Thanks Jim for the testing and review.The 940-1 is my favorite ultralight knife.With S90V and milled carbon fiber plus being light as a feather equals a mighty fine summertime knife.This knife sure did make a lot of cuts in your test.Do you go with just the 400 grit finish or do you strop after the stones?
Best,
salmonkiller

Same as the others, 400 grit. :)

Yeah it's an awesome knife IMO. :D

They really did knock it out of the park with this knife.

As always, thanks for the testing! Lawd knows I wouldn't do that to mine!

Nvm, what I had asked was already answered.

Anyhow thanks for the cut test. I enjoy your reviews especially on knives I may potentially buy.

Thanks for the great review. Was just looking at a CF 940-1 last night. This review moves it higher on my list.

Any blade play after the test? Up/down, side to side with the lock dis/engaged?

Thanks for the test, I'm considering this folder as a replacement for my CRKT Ripple 2. I know it will be a step up, if only would have been a flipper with a nicer pocket clip...

Thanks for the test,your efforts are always appreciated.

I was wondering your thoughts on balance of the knife after doing all of that testing/cutting, given it is more blade beavy than the original. If you have both, do you find the difference in feel is even worth mentioning?

I was wondering your thoughts on balance of the knife after doing all of that testing/cutting, given it is more blade beavy than the original. If you have both, do you find the difference in feel is even worth mentioning?

It's so light the balance would be good anyway. :D

Jim, Thanks for the great review, it motivated me to get one... and I have to say I am really impressed with how light this knife is. With a deep carry clip all done up shiny, it a very nice dress/office knife. Its so light in fact that I have decided its a candidate for other forms of carry, as it won't ruing the drape of a suit jacket pocket or even this...
20151125_081523 by rapt_up
Can you say shirt pocket?

Yes that's a 940-1 in my shirt pocket, no sagging or weird pulling. I am very pleased. :)

Please let me ask a special information to the shown benchmade 940-1.
For sharpening I want to put away the screw on the blade. What screw is it? Ist ist torx? What size?
Sorry for my bad english, I ask from germany.

Back