Benchmade 940-2 Osborne question

I'm considering purchasing a Benchmade 940-2 so I went to my trusted source for a review on youtube (Nick Shabazz). He had done a review of the original 940 and pointed out how he didn't like the protruding liner screws. I came across a thread on the Benchmade forums about this same issue/non-issue.

According to a Benchmade engineer on their forums this is by design (I think it's pretty ugly). The problem is the thread was at least 3 years old.

Has anyone purchased a 940-2 recently and if so, do the liner screws protrude on your model as well or did Benchmade "fix" the problem?

Forget it. It is fine they protrude ! ! ! !
Screws only come in STOCK lengths.
To custom cut all those screws or put washers under them to shim them out would be a night mare.
I will tell you what sucks worse than some screw ends that are all but hidden from view unless one goes looking for them :
A knife with screws that are too short (to please the people who think a fraction of a millimeter of screw is going to ruing their _______) and then they start to pull out of the thin liners they are screwed into.
I have had that happen on a pocket clip and it is scary. I discovered the prob in time and put in longer screws that I had laying around.

No . . . I like and enjoy about 90 percent of Mr. Shabazz's vids but I think there he is just kind of over doing it. It is one thing to make a slip joint with peened brass pins come out flush and another to make a locking folder with threaded parts.

What's the option ? Make the scales thicker and use the same screws. Then people get all bent about the knife taking up too much pocket space.

Does the material the scales are made from come in a thickness that would solve the problem ? I don't know. Maybe not.

I suppose one could send the knife off to one of the Pros here and have the screws trimmed.
$$$$

Nah dude, nah . . . be glad they are long enough.

Last edited:
AHHHHHHHHHHH
SCREW ENDS ! ! ! !

IMG_5192.JPG
IMG_5193.JPG
you know what is worse than micro millimeter screw ends ?
Just about everything else on the planet including a sunny day that is 73°F rather than 72°F.
You know what I mean ?

Look at the nice sides of the knife; focus on the nice anodized spacers and forget to squint down in there to look for the 0.3mm of screw ends.
IMG_5194.JPG

you know what is worse than micro millimeter screw ends ?

blurry pics? :p

Is that the 940-1? Love the carbon fiber scales It's just more than I wanna spend for an EDC blade that's why I was looking at the 940-2.

Edit: placed the order with NetRush. It will be here tomorrow.

I have a 940-2. It’s about a year old. The screws protrude. It’s a non issue for me.

My specimen came with some fit & finish issues, but the knife is a dang good edc!

I have a 940-2. It’s about a year old. The screws protrude. It’s a non issue for me.

My specimen came with some fit & finish issues, but the knife is a dang good edc!

Thanks for the feedback. I placed my order. Hopefully the knife will feel good in hand and look good and I'll overlook the screw thing.

I've had mine quite a while now & love it. I carry it every day. Never knew how ugly the screws looked LOL

I've had mine quite a while now & love it. I carry it every day. Never knew how ugly the screws looked LOL

I wish I could be like you in that aspect. Unfortunately I notice imperfections in products.

blurry pics? :p

. . .
:)
Hey any money spent on cameras takes away from the REAL hobby (knives) . . . am I right ?
Edit: placed the order with NetRush. It will be here tomorrow.

:thumbsup:
I hope your 940-2 is as flawless as my 940-1 (it's flawless; really nice action; I love it).

For the money the screws should be flush, doesn't bother me. Just think they should.
realistically . . . from a manufacturer's stand point . . . are the perfect length screws available in economical quantities ? Should the scales be thicker ?
What say ?

Just saying. It's not a cheap knife.

If it was a thing for me I could remove the screws, one at a time, screw them into a threaded plate of an appropriate thickness and file or grind the ends flush, then screw the corrected screw back in my knife.

Would it be out of bounds to ask what that would cost as a service to have you do that ?
Please.

Me? Leather sheaths is my bag.

If it was a thing for me I could remove the screws, one at a time, screw them into a threaded plate of an appropriate thickness and file or grind the ends flush, then screw the corrected screw back in my knife.

Would it be out of bounds to ask what that would cost as a service to have you do that ?
Please.

So now you want to make the screws flush? lol.

Me? Leather sheaths is my bag.
It says "Knife Maker" under your Avatar.
I misinterpreted.
Well guys . . . get some steel equal to or thicker than the effective thickness of the scale and liner, if thicker counter bore it to the correct depth, thread it and Viola !
From there a little file file or grind grind and we can all relax in the glow of a job well done.

Back