Benchmade 940-2 Osborne question

If the 940-2 wasn’t worth keeping, why the interest in its more costly sibling?

I own what seems to make the top 5 list of best EDC knives (Para 2, Griptilian, Delica 4, mini griptilian) but none have a classy, gentlemen look to them. I returned the 940-2 I ended up with because it was a lemon:

• The Axis lock would freeze up on a hard flick (neither of my griptilians do this)
  • The grind on the blade looked uneven
  • The blade failed the paper cutting test right out of the box.
To add to that I wasn't a fan of the G10 scales. They were too slick for my taste. I figured if I was going to replace the one I returned I may as well shoot for the more expensive model because overall I did like the knife a lot and no other knife that I came across full-filled my requirements:

• Classy looking
  • Lightweight and easily pocketable
  • Premium looking finish/touch.
I looked at the Griptilian 556-1 meanwhile and even though it was thinner than the original it still didnt have that classic look.

Sorry you got a Lemmon. I don’t suppose you live anywhere near a brick & mortar store then. That’s true for lots of us. :(

Sorry you got a lemmon. I don’t suppose you live anywhere neara brick & mortar store then. That’s true for lots of us. :(

It's fine man. Amazon takes returns no problem. I just want to know how good the carbon fiber version is.

I’m told there are vendors that will look a knife over for QC issues before shipping. I’m not sure which ones though. Maybe someone will be along with that info &/or more specifics about the 940-1.

I’m told there are vendors that will look a knife over for QC issues before shipping. I’m not sure which ones though. Maybe someone will be along with that info &/or more specifics about the 940-1.

Mine was shipped from NetRush which is an authorized benchmade reseller. Like I said returning to Amazon is easy as pie. I think I'm going to go with the 940-1 just to say I have close to a $300 pocket knife ha.

Last edited:
If you take the knife apart and then screw the scales to the liners and tape the inside of the liners you can quickly file the screws flush. I doubt you can even see the now-silver tips when assembled but just in case you could hit them with black paint or black epoxy. Should take like 10 minutes.

If you take the knife apart and then screw the scales to the liners and tape the inside of the liners you can quickly file the screws flush. I doubt you can even see the now-silver tips when assembled but just in case you could hit them with black paint or black epoxy. Should take like 10 minutes.

Who is this response to? I was asking if the carbon fiber version of the 940 is worth the hefty price.

Who is this response to? I was asking if the carbon fiber version of the 940 is worth the hefty price.
Carbon fiber,S90V blade steel, great lock, size,weight,decent fit and finish, great EDC size.For all the people who like the features of the 940-1 and bought it, apparently was worth the price.If you like the knife and you can afford it, buy it.Simple as that.

Back