Benchmade 940

I'm thinking about buying a benchmade 940 after hearing a lot of good things about it. I just wanted to ask about the fit and finish on 940s. Thanks for the feedback

The 940 has been out for years and years and years, certainly there are enough reviews & feedback to read by now to make up one's mind? :confused:

The F&F on mine is perfect. No complaints.

Buy the original green handled 940. Not only a great knife but asctectically very unique. It's a classic in my opinion. Fit and finish is comparable to knives in it's price range, fine to me. If you watch the exchange here (production folder section) you can probably get a NIB 940 or gently used one for a little less than dealer price.

I had the 940-1 and that is the most pocket friendly knife I've had. The s90v blade was wicked sharp.

I bought a standard 940 recently. Fit and finish is as good or better than any other Benchmade I've bought (which is almost universally excellent).

I've seen variances but mine probably, except for the factory sharpening, is the most perfect of my 5 Benchmades. I've heard of a lot of variances on the 940-1, however.

Just picked up a 940-1 and it is prefect from what I can tell so far. Nicely sharpened too!

Love my 940. Mine came out of the box as a perfect example of the knife. Do it! If you don't love it, you won't have a problem selling it.

I've read a lot on this topic, it's recommended you try and buy one from somewhere you can get your hands on the product before to make sure you get one with a good spine grind and centered blade. From what I've gathered the 940-1 is slightly more prone to misshapen blade. I ordered a BM from one reputable store online and added "please make sure the blade is centered" into the notes section, when I received it, it was perfectly centered, and the notes section of my receipt in box was highlighted, so I know somebody took 30 seconds to make sure. I'm guessing you'll get the same results from most places online. Hope this helps! For what it's worth, I've heard of the 940 being called the best EDC knife on the planet :thumbup:

940 has been around nearly as long as the 710 and right in there with the Grip series. When one considers a Benchmade it's easily in the top three in my opine.

The 940 (and don't rule out the 943, they may not look quite as killer at first by that blade shape grows on you quickly) is a great EDC knife. I'd recommend getting one used off the exchange, they can be had for $100-130 if you are quick on the trigger. In my opinion they're worth every penny.

I bought 4 in the last few months.....after my sons saw mine they all NEEDED one.....every one was as close to perfect as can be expected.
I have my 943 with DOAT scales in my pocket now.....I have to check and make sure it's still there! Perfect in pocket!
Go for it!
Joe

I received a brand new 940-1 yesterday. I wanted to post a comment here because there have been a lot of negative comments about the quality control on the Benchmade 940s, and in particular the 940-1. Perhaps there were some teething problems with the original production runs... BUT all I can say is that the one I took delivery of yesterday is literally perfect in everyway:
- blade perfectly centered, with absolutely no play
- blade grind is absolutely symmetrical and well executed
- fit and finish of the all screws, material, etc... perfect
- perhaps the best carbon handle scales I've owned
- OK... the old Benchmade clip is kind of rough... but actually I like that
- the edge is sharp, but very toothy... I'm not sure if that is deliberate or its down to the S90V steel... but nothing unusual for an edge on a production knife (will eventually put my own edge on it anyway).

Can't fault this knife in anyway. Great job from BM. Don't know why its taken me so long to get onto one of these...

-flugzeit

My favorite Bemchmade design and one of my all time favorite knives. F&F are excellent.

Mine has an off center blade.

I even sent it in, it was fixed

After a few weeks it worked itself off center.

As long as the blade doesn't touch the carbon fiber I'm good.

I could send it back but I'd hate to be without my favorite folder.

I own several diff variants and love them all, but blade grinds can vary knife to knife. Get your hands and eyes on one if you can before you buy it. Overall, one of my favorite models made.

Back