Benchmade Anthem HRC Results

I've had my Benchmade Anthem for a year and a half at this point. I've used it pretty heavily and found that the edge retention was kind of eh. It blunted extremely quickly and just felt soft. I decided to have it hardness tested. Just got the results today that it came back at 57. On a $425 knife. Needless to say I'm pretty disappointed. The range they state is 59-61 and they completely whiffed on that.

You can probably get them to replace the blade. Though I don't think it will be the same serial. But you paid for the spec they advertised. So yeah.

I haven't had mine hrc tested. I don't think it's a good user knife due to the handle and axis. People don't understand what I mean cause they generally only fidget with them. But yeah this company is more of a marketing company than providing optimal knives out the door

You can probably get them to replace the blade. Though I don't think it will be the same serial. But you paid for the spec they advertised. So yeah.

I haven't had mine hrc tested. I don't think it's a good user knife due to the handle and axis. People don't understand what I mean cause they generally only fidget with them. But yeah this company is more of a marketing company than providing optimal knives out the door

Interesting. Could please elaborate why the Axis lock (if thats what you mean) makes it not a good user knife? Is it the combination of the handle and the axis? Honest questions.

I don't think it's a good user knife due to the handle and axis. People don't understand what I mean
Gee . . .
I don't have one. I almost got one though.
Gee . . . for my use and handle shape preferences it looks like a better than most user.
I'm hoping you can point out some problems for me.
Looks killer good for a user . . .

found that the edge retention was kind of eh. It blunted extremely quickly and just felt soft
yeah I had a S110V folding knife like that and finally ditched it for a Spyderco Endura 4 in ZDP-189. I have had zero problems with this knife for the same use. I have since bought two other S110V folders and they are both much better (though I'm still not a fan of S110V).

Heck yeah; I would try to get a better / harder blade into that Anthem it seems like a great knife other wise!

I'm sorry. I don't quite understand what you're asking. Can you elaborate?
Do all the cool guys here in the forum that know about this testing person / company agree the tester knows what they are doing and do accurate testing consistently to where we can eliminate the chance of error on their part ?

Do all the cool guys here in the forum that know about this testing person / company agree the tester knows what they are doing and do accurate testing consistently to where we can eliminate the chance of error on their part ?
Definitely! It's Kurt, @jcoolG19 on Instagram. Same guy who does all the testing for a bunch of the guys who make similar videos as myself. He's tested dozens of different knives up to this point.

Thanks for taking the time to share you experience.I have always had my suspicions with some brands like BM and ZT.

When a knife that I own get little to no real demanding hard use and looses edge characteristics rather quickly.Needs sharpening more frequent that is normal, that is where I become suspicious.

Last edited:
I use my Anthem quite a bit and it makes a great daily user. For the blade steel I too would expect a little better edge retention. I do wonder if it is on the soft side. It certainly is rather easy to touch up which may be another indication.

Back