Benchmade AUS steel?

Is the Benchmade AUS-8 steel, as good or comparable to the CRKT steels?
I just purchased a Mini-Ambush (My first Benchmade). I currently own a CRKT(AUS-4). I really bought it to see IF there would be any real difference in the performance.

The only down side I can see with the Benchmade is it is a Simi-Polished blade.
Where the CRKT has a coating on it. I'm thinking the Benchmade might rust
with no coating? I have the feeling I'm going to have to try CM-154 before I'll
see any difference? What do you all think?

Well, i don´t see, why the non coated blade should rust. Do leave it wet at the dishes?

Compare the advertised hardness between both. AFAIK the BM is harder and better for edc IMO. That has been discussed here some time ago and BM took a couple of AUS8 blades and proofed hardness. the rage between 59 and 60HRC. You should get a better edge for longer.

Why should you buy a 154CM?

Well you could spent time doing cardboard testiings. You could spend your time in rotating both as edc and see, what pleases you more.

Enjoy your knives and save your money.;)

The AUS-8 will definitely make a better blade than AUS-4. I've had a CS Master Hunter for years as a hunting knife and it performs well. 154CM is another step up and will be a noticeable improvement over the AUS-8.All three are stainless and won't rust unless abused.

Benchmade does AUS8 very well, much better than CRKT AUS8 and miles above AUS4. Get it, and don't worry about blade coatings. Also polishing is a method of helping to prevent rust in and of itself.

AUS8 is actually a very decent steel. I consider it my minimum, but my standards are fairly high. AUS8 is very corrosion resistant, and shouldn't have any problem with rust unless you live near the ocean or plan on getting a lot of sweat on it.

Anything above or including AUS8 or 440C, buy it because of the design, not the steel.

Thank you guys.
I think you gave me a path to start on.
Looking for a "good" corrosion resistant steel.

Here is my situation I currently mow lawns, and carry a CRKT with an AUS-4 blade.
The edge was gone at the end of the week from cutting WeedEater Line and every thing
else I gut on a daily basis. So I bought a Benchmade, I saw it had AUS-8 and figure
AUS-6, was better than 4, AUS8 must be better also?

I'm just stuck on whether to take it out and use it, or buy a better one with cm-154

Thanks guys.....

The carbon content raises with the numbers and therefor the ability to take and hold a good edge.

AUS 8 is placed between very high carbon contenting steel grades like 440C and others and low carbon contenting steel grades like AUS 6 or 440A.

The advantage of the lower to the higher is better tougness.

So i see AUS 8 as a good balance between two important properties.

The key between the companies is how well they do teir heat treatment and how hard they offer their blades.

Thank you guys.

Here is my situation I currently mow lawns, and carry a CRKT with an AUS-4 blade.
The edge was gone at the end of the week from cutting WeedEater Line and every thing
else I gut on a daily basis. So I bought a Benchmade, I saw it had AUS-8 and figure

I'm just stuck on whether to take it out and use it, or buy a better one with cm-154

Thanks guys.....

So you are now using AUS4.

AUS8 will hold an edge SIGNIFICANTLY longer than AUS4.
It is also pretty easy to sharpen and maintain. It is corrosion resistant unless abused (used around salt water and not cleaned.) AUS8 performs admirably for me in backyard chores.

154CM will hold an edge a fair amount longer than AUS8. And you would notice the difference in use. BUT the amount of improvement of 154CM over AUS8 will be less than the amount you get from switching from AUS4 to AUS8. In other words, the bang for buck of switching from AUS4 to AUS8 will be bigger than switching from AUS8 to 154CM.

IF it were I, doing what you are doing, I think I would relax and enjoy the AUS8. You will notice a BIG improvement over the AUS4, and you can save your money for a spell.

my 2 cents, all goods worth price charged.

Thank you guys.

Thanks guys.....

You should also work on your sharpening skill as any knive you buy will dull no matter what steel you get. Aus8 sharpens up nice and holds a decent edge and it is one of my favorite steels for that reason.

Back