Benchmade Black Class, failing pommel strike tests (Axis lock failure)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or...tighten the pivot a bit. The whole notion of "Drop shutting" is silly (and offtopic....)

Something I was wondering about. One of the knives mentioned was a de-assisted Barrage. Maybe the others have had the pivots loosened quite a bit so the knife can be easily opened & closed?

If pommel strikes are a big deal for you, and Benchmade knives don’t fit your need, buy a new knife.

Benchmade isn’t going to just suddenly stop making the axis lock just because a self proclaimed “knife fighting expert” has an issue. It’s statistically insignificant.

A knife is a cutting instrument. What next? Complaints about hammers not being able to cut tomatoes? Or screwdrivers that don’t make great chisels? There are plenty of other knives out there that pommel just fine if that’s your thing.

Could you please demonstrate it on video, because not being funny but lots of people tell me this in text format yet everybody that does it on video has the same failure, and that is the point of why it's dangerous, because the blade will come down on your fingers, cutting your hand. I'm holding it like this to avoid getting cut.
You wouldn't want to hold the knife with your hand around it, because the impact will force your hand further down the blade, giving the blade enough room to close on your fingers, and if your knives are as sharp as mine you will get a very nasty cut.
Do that full grip pommel test at your own risk, I don't advise holding it in your hand to do the test, because it's dangerous.
Here is another video of somebody doing it and the axis lock failing.
So, you are going to ask other people to post videos of their knives not failing but you yourself will not test the problem in a more realistic way with your hand actually gripping the knife? Sorry, this isn't valid.

Also, the whole premise of this is silly. Just because a knife used in a way not intended by the manufacturer, fails a test that no one but a tiny portion of the knife buying population cares about, you think benchmade should change their marketing? Just silly...

I'm not sure what this video is supposed to show either. If you use a knife or lock how it isn't intended to be used, I'm not surprised when it fails. It's not really better than spine whack tests. If you need a knife that has a lock that won't fail, get a fixed blade.

IMO, I prefer to have the knife closed for pommel strikes. Some blade shapes and designs work better than others, i.e. the BM 523's spine shape makes it very uncomfortable to tightly grasp it when closed, where the Stryker 2 is very comfortable when closed. Similarly, the Spyderco Yojimbo 2's spine shape, IMO, seems more designed for a closed blade pommel strike than a thumb rest while cutting.

Additionally, it seems like from all the spine wack videos, that most locks have an increased chance to fail when you start bouncing on the spines repeatedly... and although the Tri-Ad lock might not have this issue, most of their pommels are Grivory.

I do think that if you plan on using a knife in a certain way, that it is important to test that technique. An old used tire (or a stack of them) can be used. It might also make one adjust or eliminate a technique that we thought was valid, or change the tool to something more task specific. For example, I wouldn't keep open the blade on my MT while trying to use the Phillips head to tighten a screw.

These replies are awesome:thumbsup:
Im suprised when someone posts a complaint like this. Took the time to post a video, lengthy write up but didn't catch on as to why the lock disengaged. I'm guessing the owner sitting there looking at the lock and wondering how much force would it take to unlock the blade and came up with this example.

^^Yup, just someone looking for a way, to go out of their way, to make something fail even though in normal use, they would never be in that situation.

The take away is simply, that none of these locks are fail proof and when you are going to do something other than cutting with the edge, you should put the folder away and go with a fixed blade.

n2s

That about sums it up. If I am going to spine whack my coffee table with all my might, I would much prefer to do that with my ESEE 6 than my Sebenza. :p

Per his statements here, he's a knife fighter. Per his Youtube channel he's:

Combining all known sword based historical fighting systems from across the globe, HEMA, Kenjutsu, Chinese Swordsmanship and much more.

Sword is not a knife. He ain't no cop. He's trolling for hits, this video has about 3x more than his usual youtube video.

Last edited:
Per his statements here, he's a knife fighter. Per his Youtube channel he's:

Combining all known sword based historical fighting systems from across the globe, HEMA, Kenjutsu, Chinese Swordsmanship and much more.

Sword is not a knife. He ain't no cop. He's trolling for hits, this video has about 3x more than his usual youtube video.
I do have to confess I didn't watch any of his videos, but I figured that was what he was aiming for.

I'd hate to have to slap the snot out of my son if I found him doing something stupid like this. I'm glad my kids aren't autistic or mentally challenged, whatever the politically correct term is now...but it makes for entertaining YouTube when idiots like this one injury themselves.

Side note, can't believe I found myself agreeing with Roy, crazy 2020.

I'd hate to have to slap the snot out of my son if I found him doing something stupid like this. I'm glad my kids aren't autistic or mentally challenged, whatever the politically correct term is now...but it makes for entertaining YouTube when idiots like this one injury themselves.

Side note, can't believe I found myself agreeing with Roy, crazy 2020.

You might want to differentiate between garden variety stupid and actual mental disorders. This case falls into the former for sure.

As for the second part... Broken clocks and what not...

I know a PhD and an MD who have autism.

The original poster hasn't returned to his thread. Guess he agrees it's BS

Here's an even crazier thought, in a self defense situation where the blade has already been deployed, and the situation has advanced to grappling distance in a struggle, you can't causually close your knife while being assaulted.
How about that for crazy.

If I ever get to the point that I am doing pommel strikes on a barstool I really hope someone takes the knife away from me and drives me home.

If I ever get to the point that I am doing pommel strikes on a barstool I really hope someone takes the knife away from me and drives me home.
Well who even uses the pommel in a close quarters knife fight, with the blade open? How does that play out? “Well I was going to stab this guy but I found out at last second that he’s really my long lost brother and he’s in a drug induced psychotic rage so I don’t want to stab him, just bop him on the noggin with my pommel and take him home to sleep it off”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back