Benchmade emerson spec war cqc7 ats-34

Does anyone have any info on this older model knife, when made , value, why the name , etc ????
Thanks
Cary

the BM 970 series was a licensed copy of the emerson CQC7 made before ernie started EKI, at the time he made customs only, they also made a 3.8" one called the 975 (the one i liked and had several of) when EKI opened and ernie started making '7s BM soon ceased making them and replaced it in the BM line with the stryker. BM made a few models of the '7, with satin finish/coated finish/PE and part serrated/a few even had a ti blade, they were made in the mid '90s to the late '90s, certainly not after '98 i dont think. the EKI '7 is a little different, tip up vs tip down carry, 154CM vs ATS34, IIRC the grind was a bit different too, probably another thing or 2 i am not thinking of right now.

most of ernies customs (after the pre-tacs) were called close quarter combat(CQC) 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, etc etc thus CQC7. & of course there are the vipers too, just another line from the CQC's with different handles & blades & custom only,

a std 970 in LNIB shape is worth ~$150 or so, the ti ones go for quite a bit more i havent seen one of them for sale in yrs though,

they were good knives i have always liked the EKI version better though, i did have a few 975's with the longer blade i liked them because for a while EKI didnt offer a longer version of the '7 but then they came out with the I&I tanto which had a 3.8" blade & a viper handle.

why did i like the EKI's better? tip up carry mostly i hate tip down.

Does anyone have any info on this older model knife, when made , value, why the name , etc ????
Thanks
Cary

Made about the time of the First Gulf War. Dealer pricing was $60 each. Bought 6 units. Have sold 1. Have one sitting by the front door - the unit I trained with in classes. Not know where I put the other units. No longer carry it because the collector value is just too high if I were to lose it or someone steal it.

Just thought I’d leave this here...

A couple of early 2000’s mixed in with early 90’s BM’s...

nSc6r.jpg

BM-970 = The first production Emerson.

Only real downside to the BM version was that the scale screws thread into the G10 on the lockbar side scale. They fixed this somewhat by threading into a nut on the lockbar-stop-pin screw on later models.

I have an early model with no ATS-34 blade marking and all screws threading into G10. The factory edge is razor sharp. I love it and I want to get a slightly used one to carry as mine is a safe queen.

There is also a full Titanium blade version out there. Very pricey if you can find a mint one.

For what it's worth in mint condition these seem to fetch closer to $180 on the bay if left to proper bidding, and more $ for the HK USP version. I missed a mint black serrated one that sold for 160 a while ago and I was a little upset about that.

Straight edge is harder to find, so there could be a premium for that.

Plenty of sellers are asking 250+. Good luck to them. I suppose it's worth what someone is willing to pay.

Here is mine:
9PH7L52.jpg

Last edited:
$ 250 is fair for a new in box plain edge 975 with original box and paperwork.

If you can find an excellent 975 for $ 180 or less you should get one.

Back