Benchmade HK 14200sbt

Rat

I bought a Benchmade HK 14200sbt brand new quite a few years back and it has lived its whole life in my safe. I bought it to use but never did when I heard they stopped making them. After all these years I’m thinking about finally breaking it open and using it. What would you do? Is it silly at this point to use it...should I just keep it in the safe or just get rid of it and find another edc?

The guy is not selling or anything? Why would you ask him to read that. Wtf?

Lol that is so awesome,

I would use your safe queen knife.

Reactions: Rat
The guy is not selling or anything? Why would you ask him to read that. Wtf?

Ummm.... have you read marcinek’s posts? That’s kinda his thing.

OP- you haven’t used it in how many years now? I mean, since you didn’t have any use for it when it was still in production, unless your knife uses have changed, you may also not need it now.

If you would really use it then use it. If not, sell it. Discontinued models sell quickly on the exchange if priced reasonably. You can use the funds to buy something you’re more likely to use and enjoy.

I, personally, am not a fan of serrations, so I would ditch it and get another knife, but that's just me. I'd like that model much more without the serrations!

Kind of in this boat....not sure if you like or prefer serrated though.

If it's something you would enjoy carrying and would be useful to you, then I think you should go ahead and do just that. I have lots of expensive knives for users and don't think twice about devaluing them. I have bought some pricey ones that don't seem to fit my carry needs, so I'll move them along. My few safe queens are knives that I could see myself using but do want to keep like new without consideration of re-sale or profit.

Honestly, I’d probably move it along and put the money towards something newer; Knife quality and materials in that price range have taken a notable trend towards the better in the years since that model has been released and subsequently discontinued.

Additionally, newer models will be easier to service. Benchmade has a limited supply of parts for older models; I once sent in a Nagara and was told (1) they had no remaining replacement parts and (2) were unwilling to send it back in the functional state it was in. I was sent a Grip as a replacement.

TLDR: Sell it and get a new thing unless you think you’ll get a lot of use out of it.

I bought a Benchmade HK 14200sbt brand new quite a few years back and it has lived its whole life in my safe. I bought it to use but never did when I heard they stopped making them. After all these years I’m thinking about finally breaking it open and using it. What would you do? Is it silly at this point to use it...should I just keep it in the safe or just get rid of it and find another edc?
So why have you never used it? Benchmade's HK line of knives are usually pretty decent. If a combo edge is not your thing, sell it and get something else. If you like serrations, use it till it dies.

A field grade knife that just sits in a safe is a knife that's going to waste.

Please read this.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/new-members-please-read-this-what-is-my-knife-worth.904093/

Though I'm sure you are not trying to sell your LNIB safe-kept discontinued knife that you are thinking about selling.
Marcinek, read the opening post. Nowhere does the OP say anything about selling a knife. Only about keeping it in the safe or getting rid of it. The man has not even decided if he wants to part with it yet.

Cut people some slack will you? Jeez!

Since you don't seem married to the model, I would suggest either getting a membership and selling it here, or waiting until something you like comes up on the trading forums (or on the sale forums and the seller says they are open to trades). An unused knife rarely depreciates in value after being discontinued, so at worst it's worth what it retailed for.

So why have you never used it? Benchmade's HK line of knives are usually pretty decent. If a combo edge is not your thing, sell it and get something else. If you like serrations, use it till it dies.

A field grade knife that just sits in a safe is a knife that's going to waste.
Yeh pretty silly right? Never used it because I was afraid to devalue it. I bought it with the intention to use it. Totally agree on it going to waste.
Since you don't seem married to the model, I would suggest either getting a membership and selling it here, or waiting until something you like comes up on the trading forums (or on the sale forums and the seller says they are open to trades). An unused knife rarely depreciates in value after being discontinued, so at worst it's worth what it retailed for.

Sounds like a plan. Thanks everyone

Yeh pretty silly right? Never used it because I was afraid to devalue it. I bought it with the intention to use it. Totally agree on it going to waste.

Sounds like a plan. Thanks everyone

Glad to see you're going to put it to use. One of these (in plain edge) was my first nice knife many years ago and is still one of my favorite Benchmades of all time. Solid build, great ergonomics, and one of the best drop open/closed AXIS locks I have ever experienced. In fact, this one set a standard that I still hold all my BM knives to until this day. Later HK Benchmades were a bit less refined and aimed more and more towards being budget models, but these early Snody designs were on par with some of Benchmade's best IMO.

NRkXrEo.jpg

Back