Benchmade interview with Tom Gresham

@Benchmade time to close the forum down here, I'm thinking most are done with you and the Gresham interview just solidifies you are not ready to deal with this. Keep up the worthless internal investigation though! Didnt touch base on why donations to politicians was ever made as it's against your stated policy.
In the words of Patience and Prudence:
"Got along without you before I met you
Gonna get along without you now"

Benchmade had better look at England with their knife return programs.
Gun control wasn't enough, now they're after butter knives. How pathetic they have become.

Today, my previous favorite pocket knife, my 904 Mini Stryker, is set aside and a Spyderco ParaMilitary 2, G10 Midnight Blue with a CPM-S110V blade will now ride in my pocket.

Maybe Spyderco would grind up the Benchmades.

I will support only those who support my rights

Last edited:
Benchmade product speaks for itself, the interview means nothing to me. I don't know the politics of the baker making my donuts, I don't know the politics of the barista making my coffee, I don't know the politics of every custom maker I buy from - I don't know the politics of most people I buy from.

Of course everybody is free to do with their own money as they want. This is to include Benchmade. The majority of people have no idea of this brouhaha, and I imagine that they will survive this minor incident handily, regardless of how this interview was handled.

Benchmade is not a gun company or gun company accessories manufacturer advocating against their own business. They are an edged tool manufacturer, they do it well, I like the product and so I will let them enjoy their freedoms as Americans in the same as any other merchants I buy from. And without besmirching them because they are not 100% on my page. I am for the second amendment, but I don't know when it became the norm to try and destroy any company isn't hard line 2a. An interview like that that tries to demonize a company like that is cheap and petty in my estimation.

I think that some people need to wake up to the fact that their interests in guns is a different matter than their interests in knives. And ask themselves why they are holding Benchmade to a higher 2a stance than 95% of the Chinese, Mexican, Taiwanese, etc., stuff in their house.

Benchmade has no responsibility to the firearms community. And they are being put in an impossible situation. You cannot make everyone happy, and people from both sides of the political spectrum by their products. So leave politics out of it and let them go about their business as Americans making fine American products.

I think that some people need to wake up to the fact that their interests in guns is a different matter than their interests in knives. And ask themselves why they are holding Benchmade to a higher 2a stance than 95% of the Chinese, Mexican, Taiwanese, etc., stuff in their house.
The difference being that Benchmade has stated that they are "unwavering supporters of the 2A". Those other companies have not come out and stated that. It's not hard to understand why they are being held to a higher standard.

Benchmade has no responsibility to the firearms community. And they are being put in an impossible situation. You cannot make everyone happy, and people from both sides of the political spectrum by their products. So leave politics out of it and let them go about their business as Americans making fine American products.
Exactly. I'm not sure why people who "vote with their wallets" would rather support Chinese manufacturers than an American manufacturer, but most people are inconsistent in their views and actions.

Hopefully the damage to Benchmade isn't too severe. But based on the posts here (eg virulent anti-Benchmade posters coming out of the woodwork and disappearing or posting their Benchmade daily carry) and a Google Trends search, you can see that people can barely keep their supposed outrage focused for more than a week. I doubt this "scandal" will do much in the long term.

ta2plZ7.jpg

Exactly. I'm not sure why people who "vote with their wallets" would rather support Chinese manufacturers than an American manufacturer, but most people are inconsistent in their views and actions.
If someone who is voting with their wallet and buying Chinese made knives instead of Benchmade, then I would agree that it doesn't make much sense. But there are plenty of other high quality knives made in America that they can choose from.

That's true, there are plenty of other high quality knives made in America to choose from. We make great knives in this country, the best in the world. We should support our American makers, politics aside, to show pride in our craftsmen and women. I'm sure that everyone can agree that spending $150 on a Benchmade made in the USA is more patriotic than spending $150 on a Chinese knife of whatever quality.

Knife business is a global competition in a way that it has never been before. For decades now we have been paying China and others to improve their manufacturing capabilities by way of outsourcing. Large American corporations pouring millions upon millions of dollars into state-of-the-art production facilities - in second and third worlds. So yes, now China et al. can produce a very fine, expensive knife on a production line and be taken seriously in the marketplace.

So when I look at this situation I see an American purveyor of American wares. And I see a counterproductive argument over whether they are "2a enough." And that argument, while it goes on, only opens up inroads for more foreign competition.

Cool. I guess the lesson is from here on out one should carry out due diligence before purchases to make sure the maker/purveyor is ideologically aligned to a sufficient degree as to make the purchase acceptable.

That interview was a mess. Poor guy seemed like he just enough info to cover the basic questions. I get all the points both sides were making, it just seems like Benchmade helped out the police when asked and are trying to help their knife customers but both are blowing up theirs faces.
And the interviewer, I thought, did a great job holding their feet to the fire for their actions but wasn’t condemning them. Not the smoothest interview but definitely enlightening I though.

Back