Benchmade Mini Barrage 585-2

I have to be honest about things, I carry a SAK every day and really depend on it for day to day stuff. The modern knife (2nd knife) half the time is not even in my pocket and I really don't rotate anything other than a modern with the SAK. (By rotate, I mean I'll carry the same modern for 6 months and then decide to put something else in my pocket for a while.) Hope you saw my addition in my last post. Life can suck sometimes.

Last edited:
I have to be honest about things, I carry a SAK every day and really depend on it for day to day stuff. The modern knife (2nd knife) half the time is not even in my pocket and I really don't rotate anything other than a modern with the SAK. (By rotate, I mean I'll carry the same modern for 6 months and then decide to put something else in my pocket for a while.) Hope you saw my addition in my last post. Life can suck sometimes.

I always carry a SAK. Usually a compact in my left front pocket with a suspension clip and some kind of one handed open folder in my right front pocket. I carry a SAK cybertool in my EDC bag.

My mini Barrage used to be my EDC. I still like it, but rarely carry any flavor of one-handed opener any more.

I liked my Mini Barrage enough to buy a backup. My junkie stepson hocked it and another knife to buy drugs. When he fessed up to stealing it, he told me that Pawn America had given him eighty-five bucks for it.

The AO doesn’t bother me, it just strikes me as superfluous on an Axis knife.

At my local Cabela’s, the mini Barrage is quite popular. Every knife counter employee under 50 seems to carry one. I still like it anyway.

My mini Barrage used to be my EDC. I still like it, but rarely carry any flavor of one-handed opener any more.

I liked my Mini Barrage enough to buy a backup. My junkie stepson hocked it and another knife to buy drugs. When he fessed up to stealing it, he told me that Pawn America had given him eighty-five bucks for it.

The AO doesn’t bother me, it just strikes me as superfluous on an Axis knife.

At my local Cabela’s, the mini Barrage is quite popular. Every knife counter employee under 50 seems to carry one. I still like it anyway.

May I ask what you carry these days? I can see why the barrage would be popular. It seems rugged from what i'm gathering but I have not handled one in person just yet. For living in Los Angeles I try to keep my EDC blades under 3". I also like the blade shape.

Maybe I'm just being overly concerned about warranty and such but lately the benchmades that have come my way have not been that great. Blades not being centered, grinds uneven etc. If I order a barrage online I'm almost concerned that there may be blade play and according to Benchmade they use red loctite on the pivot screw. It just doesn't make sense to buy a $157.00 knife and then ship it off to be "corrected".

I'm still undecided but I do want a "tougher" 3" or less blade in my rotation.

May I ask what you carry these days?

A bunch of small knives: usually an Alox Electrician, an Okapi Biltong and an Opinel 6, plus a 4 1/2” Channellock plier.

For a tough small blade, I used to carry a small Anza. This week, I have had a bare-tang Mini Skrama in my pocket, although I am a little squeamish about scraping gaskets with it.

Honestly, if it's warranty you are worried about then get the Barrage. Benchmade's is one of the best in the knife world.
I have completely disassembled, cleaned and reassembled my Barrage, 940, and Mini Grip multiple times. Adjusted the pivot on all of them quite a bit too. Two have gone in for minor warranty work. BM did the work and sent them back without any charges, or even a mention that they'd been futzed with.

Hi all,

I'm looking at purchasing a Benchmade mini barrage 585-2 so I had a few concerns that only the collective wisdom of this forum can answer.

From the quick research I've done so far the spring mechanism can come out of its place if the pivot screw becomes too loose. I watched a youtube video in which a youtuber shows how it comes out of place and how to reset it. I found this thread and it made me think twice about buying one but then again it's an old thread so I don't know if this is even an issue?

Can't say I'm a big fan of disassembling knives and from what I can tell the pivot screw sits under the scales.
Thanks!

-Armen

Update: I went ahead and purchased the 585-2 and I'm happy with the results. Good fit in hand, solid feeling and solid lock up. My only complaint is the blade is slightly off center but at times it's centered. shrug.
Tighten the pivot screw super easy I dyed mine couldn't stand the gray

Back